Post-Surgery Advice Requested

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MN_TimTuba

Post-Surgery Advice Requested

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Next week I have an angiogram scheduled, after that it'll be open heart surgery. Heart is fine, strong, no blockages, no valve problems, etc. - the issue is an aortic aneurysm that's been growing for a couple of years, and is now to the point that it needs to be repaired before it blows and makes a mess inside me.
Anyhow, they tell me I'm looking at 4-6 weeks recovery at least, and longer before I can lift my tubas. What I'm asking is - have any of you had this experience (the whole 'splitting the sternum' thing)? If so, how was your recovery, and how long before you felt close to 100%? And how long before you were playing tuba again?
I'd be grateful for any first-hand advice.
Thanks, in advance.
Tim
These users thanked the author MN_TimTuba for the post:
bort2.0 (Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 pm)

MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bort2.0

Re: Post-Surgery Advice Requested

Post by bort2.0 »

Jeez Louise, Tim, you've really had a time! Good thing you live in the land of excellent hospitals... But still... :smilie6:

I remembered these threads from a few years ago... Might be worth dropping a line to Dan Schultz, sounds like he had something similar a few years back.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php ... it=Sternum

viewtopic.php?t=2114

Keeping you in my prayers, Tim. I know you'll be fine and fully recover, and modern medicine is incredible... But I know the recovery is uncomfortable and unfun, and will be taxing on you and your family. One upside -- your recovery will happen during the summer, and hopefully by then, the ice will be gone.

God Bless, Tim!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:21 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

As much as I like Tim, I'm REALLY glad that this surgical procedure has REALLY improved in reliability over the past forty years.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:35 pm)
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

Good on you to face the risks and get it done.

My grandfather had his aorta blow out and kill him. His son (my uncle) got a "get these tests for $150" coupon from his local hospital and thought it a good deal and had them done. One of the tests told him that he was in extreme danger of having his aorta blow out. He went in and had a procedure to strengthen his aorta and got himself out of that danger. One of my cousins went in and had the test done just out of caution and was cleared. That cousin's brother said the test was too expensive so didn't get it done and "odds are it won't happen". It did happen on a sidewalk in San Diego and he was dead before he hit the deck. My brother and I had the tests done and we are clear.

Choosing to get or not get medical procedures is personal choice but, today, most all medical procedures are safer and more reliable than they were in the past.

See if your insurance will cover a Wessex Tournister tuba so you won't lose your chops. Even with a split sternum, you should be able to lift it. ;)

Good luck. I hope it all comes out fine.
These users thanked the author The Big Ben for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I had to go check on my sister's father-in-law quite a few years ago. He was in the bathtub because he had a really serious backache and couldn't get back out of the tub. I went to get the fire department because he weighed about 375 lb. By the time I got back with firemen, he was dead in the tub. The reason he was hurting is because his aorta was leaking. The last thing I did for him was to bring him a cold Coke from his refrigerator before I went to get the firemen.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

A co worker had his replaced with a mechanical one a few years ago. He’s fine but has to be on blood thinners all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:21 pm I had to go check on my sister's father-in-law quite a few years ago. He was in the bathtub because he had a really serious backache and couldn't get back out of the tub. I went to get the fire department because he weighed about 375 lb. By the time I got back with firemen, he was dead in the tub. The reason he was hurting is because his aorta was leaking. The last thing I did for him was to bring him a cold Coke from his refrigerator before I went to get the firemen.
That's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

I'm sorry that all of you went through that.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:15 pm
bloke wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:21 pm I had to go check on my sister's father-in-law quite a few years ago. He was in the bathtub because he had a really serious backache and couldn't get back out of the tub. I went to get the fire department because he weighed about 375 lb. By the time I got back with firemen, he was dead in the tub. The reason he was hurting is because his aorta was leaking. The last thing I did for him was to bring him a cold Coke from his refrigerator before I went to get the firemen.
That's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

I'm sorry that all of you went through that.
At least, he got to talk to someone just before he died...
I'm OK with it. I thought about it for a while, admittedly.

This is the WRONG thread for this...but...
https://i.imgur.com/Nn8Clhq.png
Last edited by bloke on Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:04 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:40 pm)
Mark

Post by Mark »

In February of 2019 I had a median sternotomy with mediastinal mass resection (split my chest and removed a tumor that was between my lungs and just above my heart). I was not allowed to lift more than ten pounds for three months. But, I was back in rehearsals in five months. Other than the time off, it had no affect on my playing. You can buzz your mouthpiece to keep your chops in shape.
These users thanked the author Mark for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:41 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My younger brother recently had a "surprise" clot, heart attack, and emergency double bypass (because of the "surprise" clot.) So they split his sternum. He was on the tennis court finishing a match when it happened (he is quite a fine tennis player, as well as a pianist.) They told him two months, but he keeps getting bugs that put him out for several days and so is behind in his rehab. However, I'd say the good news is he has not complained about pain.
I was off five years, you know, and it took me about two months to get chops working pretty well. So it's not like it's forever.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MANY summers, I end up being EXTREMELY busy with NON-tuba-playing enterprises.

I'm too exhausted - at night - to "practice". Suddenly, gigs start up in late August.
Typically, the first one is a "blockbuster". I mess around for thirty minutes or so a couple of times/days ahead of the first gig...
It sounds about the same as it would have otherwise.

LOL...After my epic hernia surgery (four areas, and huge patches at each area), I sounded terrible (air) for a few days (when I began to try to play, a week or two later)...but (that having been in late January) I was marching in a Mardi Gras parade and played a Mardi Gras party immediately afterward. I also drove two hours there and two hours back.
The doctor said, "You can do whatever you feel like doing". I didn't "feel" like doing that, but I "felt like" doing it. :smilie6:
I'm not "tough"...not at all, but I also am self-employed, and don't have "sick days".
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

With most major surgeries (I've had my share), it usually takes a full year before you really feel 100% like "you" again. When you can start playing again can be sooner, depending on decisions from your doctor and PT, but don't push it and set yourself back.
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:44 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
bloke (Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:39 pm)
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

No advice from me, I just want to wish you a successful surgery! May your recovery be quick and smooth.

:cheers: :tuba:
These users thanked the author ParLawGod for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:45 pm)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi

I commented on the old forum. I had mine done maybe 13 years ago. I would say there is no way you will be back to playing within 4 weeks. Maybe 6 weeks. Just focus on recommended rehab advice the Dr's give you. I had mine done maybe 13 years ago. I had a valve replaced, so perhaps my situation is different, but I struggled to put out anywhere near enough breath to play the tuba for for months afterwards and was quite sore in the chest.
These users thanked the author Ricardo for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:57 pm)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Thanks all for the experiences, the prayers, the well wishes, the advice, even the horror stories (Joe, you do make me laugh).
My biggest concern is with the healing itself - pain, length of time, complications, etc. Not overly concerned with tuba playing, I have confidence there. Also, I'm pretty certain my band will let me sit in on 3rd trumpet, then euphonium or bone as weight restrictions relax. I have good friends who will set my bass on my lap so I can continue with worship team before long. And, I will follow doctors orders and attend rehab for sure. I have 3 neighbors who have already volunteered to cover snow removal from my 220 yard long driveway and feed critters while I'm away (more snow predicted Tuesday, and this winter may last a while up here), and my son will run the tiller when it's garden time for Sandy. I'm hoping to be ok'd for the riding mower by July or so, and the surgeon already told me I should be fine for fall sporting clays. The little things are coming together.
I'll keep you apprised of developments, meanwhile any other advice or experiences are appreciated.
Many thanks to you all.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
humBell

Post by humBell »

YorkNumber3 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:58 pm Best wishes for a quick recovery on your surgery.
I second that, and suggest a friendly amendment to include "straight-forward" and "complete" in the best wishes.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:19 am)
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe we are all impressed with a seriousness of this procedure, and are really interested in Tim staying around for a long time.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:35 am)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I think you should focus on recovery before you consider playing again. The last thing you want to do, or the worst thing, is to rush back to playing and cause a severe injury. The playing will return easily once youve recovered.

My father in law did that when he had a complicated hernia surgery, went golfing too soon and re-injured it. Because of his other medical conditions (the complicated part) and his age, the drs wont go back and fix it. Now he is severely limited in what he can do.

Also, opening the chest is really traumatic to the body.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:17 am) • MN_TimTuba (Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:28 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth: