New tuba: YCB-623

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: New tuba: YCB-623

Post by Three Valves »

"Some other great news is that this will have a price tag that is affordable to the community!"

Yamma-Yorka-ZO? :red:

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

With me (and a few other forum members) picking up the cheap-as-dirt YFB-621 copy, coupled with this new attractively-priced (apparently) 4/4 tuba, it makes me wonder where new Yamahas are being made.
___
(Once my Yamaclone comes in at the end of the month, I'd love to meet up with someone in southern New England/NYC Metro and do an A-B comparison if they have a real YFB-621.)
___

I always found the YCB-822 to be an odd tuba. I kinda liked 'em, but just sort of an awkward tweener size and "meh" type of sound.

Always neat to see companies continuing to do R&D and making new models.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I’ve actually never liked either 822… I don’t like the angle of the valveset and I detest the plastic guides they tend to use.

THIS tuba: Seems interesting, but I’d like to hear it played by someone who’s NOT Aaron Tindall :laugh:

I wonder what the price will be and if it will take off. The 822 C never seemed to be popular at all. I’d also like to see it out next to some other horns in the 4/4-5/4 size class.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I think I heard the price tags was 17,000 (don’t quote me on the that.) I guess that’s smaller price tag than the Yamayork…

Side note: I recently tried a yamayork, and I now realize why people play them.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
GC

Post by GC »

The BBb version lacks a fifth valve and is about $2K cheaper, according to the Yamaha USA web site.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
cjk

Post by cjk »

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs
uk.yamaha.com wrote:Secondary Main Tuning Slide
The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide. This provides a greater tuning range, and solves a number of common problems such as extending the main slide too far in summer temperatures causing it to fall, or the pitch being too low and out of adjustment range in the winter months. The Secondary main tuning slide can be adjusted while playing, and it is possible to make fine pitch adjustments when no valves are pressed.
That's cool, but saying it's they're the first tubas in the world to provide a secondary main tuning slide is total BS.

cjk

Post by cjk »

LargeTuba wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:08 am I think I heard the price tags was 17,000 (don’t quote me on the that.) I guess that’s smaller price tag than the Yamayork…

Side note: I recently tried a yamayork, and I now realize why people play them.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... index.html

MSRP over 15k, how much over depends on finish. Edit: <-- that is for the BBb versions. the lacquer CC is just over 16.5k, silver is just over 17k.

I wonder if Yamaha stuff sells for MSRP or if there's MAP pricing or what.
Last edited by cjk on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

cjk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:36 am https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs
The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide. This provides a greater tuning range, and solves a number of common problems such as extending the main slide too far in summer temperatures causing it to fall, or the pitch being too low and out of adjustment range in the winter months. The Secondary main tuning slide can be adjusted while playing, and it is possible to make fine pitch adjustments when no valves are pressed.
That's cool, but saying it's they're the first tubas in the world to provide a secondary main tuning slide is total BS.

I am wracking my brain trying to think of another tuba that offers both a tuneable on-the-fly Marzan-style main tuning slide as well as a conventional after-the-valves downward-facing main tuning slide. Whatcha thinking of?

Lots of tubas have two main tuning slides, but most are out of reach of the player to manipulate while playing.
cjk

Post by cjk »

arpthark wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:53 am
cjk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:36 am https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs

I am wracking my brain trying to think of another tuba that offers both a tuneable on-the-fly Marzan-style main tuning slide as well as a conventional after-the-valves downward-facing main tuning slide. Whatcha thinking of?

Lots of tubas have two main tuning slides, but most are out of reach of the player to manipulate while playing.
It doesn't say what you said. It says "The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide. ". That's false. Tubas with two main tuning slides are easy to find. The Hirsbrunner HB2p for example.

If it said something like "The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide which is designed to be able to be moved on the fly while playing", that might actually be true.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I’ve also heard that the second slide changes playing characteristics. Each player has their owned preferred setup.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

cjk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:09 am
It says "The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide. ". That's false. Tubas with two main tuning slides are easy to find. The Hirsbrunner HB2p for example.

If it said something like "The YBB-623 and YCB-623 are the first tubas in the world to provide a Secondary main tuning slide which is designed to be able to be moved on the fly while playing", that might actually be true.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, HB-2P and Bueschers immediately came to mind. The VMI 3302 also. The VMI 3302 is actually adjustable while playing, but it's not the most comfortable position to grab a slide.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Based on a very small sample size of what I found online I 2 minutes, it seems like retail prices of Yamaha tubas are about 70% of the MSRP.

So if MSRP is $17k, I'd expect a retail price a little less than $12k.

I think "affordable" is a poor choice of words... More like "comparable" or "competitive" with other new tubas of it's size that are not made in China. To be honest, I think the price seems about right... I'd just want details. Or reassurance about country of origin.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

That price is… About what I expected.

We’ve had this discussion before. Affordable it is not to many people. Everybody has their own definition of affordable. Now, for a brand spanking new tuba, sure, compared to in-the-past prices, I’d consider it pretty good.

But, at $12K, there are MANY MANY options new and used. I’m interested to see if it’s that much better as compared to what it competes with.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
cjk

Post by cjk »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:56 am Based on a very small sample size of what I found online I 2 minutes, it seems like retail prices of Yamaha tubas are about 70% of the MSRP.

So if MSRP is $17k, I'd expect a retail price a little less than $12k.

I think "affordable" is a poor choice of words... More like "comparable" or "competitive" with other new tubas of it's size that are not made in China. To be honest, I think the price seems about right... I'd just want details. Or reassurance about country of origin.
More than a new Miraphone 188.

https://hornguys.com/collections/cc-tub ... ry-cc-tuba
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Sousaswag wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:05 am

THIS tuba: Seems interesting, but I’d like to hear it played by someone who’s NOT Aaron Tindall :laugh:
If you buy me one, I'll play it for you.

:tuba:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
GC

Post by GC »

Would someone please post the link to the Aaron Tindall sound sample? I can't find one that works.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
matt g

Post by matt g »

GC wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:07 am Would someone please post the link to the Aaron Tindall sound sample? I can't find one that works.
Does this work?

These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
GC (Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:49 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
GC

Post by GC »

Thanks, Matt.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It's their business obviously, but I'm not sure I would have numbered it so similarly to the YCB-621 (of which I have not-particularly fond memories).

Is the secondary main slide accessible, and does it need to be?
dp

Post by dp »

russiantuba wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm I have been told by another Yamaha artist that it is based on Jim Self's 1930s model York 4/4 CC tuba. I have played on an early 1920s York factory original 4/4 CC tuba (the same model Jacobs was willing to trade one of the CSO Yorks to Bob LeBlanc to use as his main horn). This horn is an amazing horn. If Yamaha kept the same concept design, it should be a great horn. I would say it will probably be close or an improved version of the PT 606 (GR 41?) based on this information.
That was my understanding as well, based fairly-closely upon Jim's 692 York that Lee restored. I had thought the GR41 was based upon a different 4/4 CC York than the 692, maybe Mike Johnson can recall?

Whatever this Yamaha is, Aaron sure can play the Shirt out of it!
pfft (yes, that's for you)