Torpedo's Cronkhite eBay Store - UPDATE!!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
prairieboy1

Re: Torpedo's Cronkhite eBay Store - UPDATE!!!

Post by prairieboy1 »

Congratulations, Elephant!! That is a truly beautiful bag. Enjoy!! :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post:
the elephant (Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm)

1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

Huzzah! That's a good lookin' bag right there!

Do we know for sure yet if these are custom-made when you tell them your model of tuba, or are they simple one of the four sizes?

I might need to start saving for my Eb Frankentuba...
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post:
the elephant (Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:49 pm)
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

That's great news, 3 bags delivered to y'all in the last week! :clap: :smilie7:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
the elephant (Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:49 pm)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Tubajug wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm Huzzah! That's a good lookin' bag right there!

Do we know for sure yet if these are custom-made when you tell them your model of tuba, or are they simple one of the four sizes?

I might need to start saving for my Eb Frankentuba...
Mine was custom-sized, as they all are. I am not sure they had this specific size pre-made in my color. I think they had to make it. Perhaps the custom-sized stuff is coming out more quickly because they have a bunch of pre-made bags in the most common sizes. Mine could have been made to order immediately because most of the other orders are of pre-made sizes; they could get to my order much more quickly. I don't know. I would like to find out, though. Perhaps one of our members who live up that way could take a tour this summer and find out how they are flipping bags so quickly now. It would be an interesting report, I am sure.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
sugawi (Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:16 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

It's a few miles from my house... And across the street from my repair person. I didn't ask about a tour before, but I guess that was Covid times anyway. It would be interesting, if they are down for it.

They were open to a local pickup, though. Frankly, I'd like it best if they would measure the tuba for me, I hate doing this and always fear I'm going to make a really stupid mistake.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm) • sugawi (Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:16 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

It is a complete bag. It comes with a snap-on music pouch, a padded zipper pouch that goes in the compartment on the back of the bag, and a nice, leather mouthpiece pouch/holster.

Are you talking about a messenger bag-type shoulder strap? Not the backpack straps, right?

My photos show the bag as Cronkhite always made them and how Torpedo makes them today. I have never used a messenger-bag type of strap as I do not want the horn so close to the ground and oriented horizontally, so I have never noted whether these rings are a part of the design.

EDIT: After looking at my photos I do not see any sort of additional rings or attachment points, and I know they do not SUPPLY a horizontal shoulder strap. They include some extras, and a strap would be in the package if the bag was set up like this. I would say "no" to the messenger bag-type of strap. Not only is it not included, but there seem to be no provisions for one to be added.

An additional snap-on music folio pouch is right at $65, and to my ZIP Code the shipping was just over $18, so shipped it was nearly $85!!!!!!! (Glenn only charged me $20 back in the day. But that *was* two decades ago, so, you know, INFLATION.) I tried to order my extra pouch from Jen on the phone but she is not set up to take orders manually, which is why we keep getting sent to the website. What she did was, once the bag was ready to go, a second pouch was dropped in the box. Then she refunded my $18 shipping fee.

For first-time customers, they have a 25% off sale. (This is not a new sale, and I think if you are smart enough to use a different email address the website software will give you the discount. It seems to offer it to you about midway through the ordering process. And I think it is offered after checks are made to your cookie to see whether you have spent any money on the site before. I delete most cookies on a regular basis, so the software believed me to be a new customer. I did not purchase a bag through the site, so who knows if I would have actually received the discount had I made a bag purchase? And no, I'm not encouraging the Freak Jury to commit fraud, heh, heh, heh…)
cjk

Post by cjk »

It's cool that it came with a free kitty cat!

I have always thought it odd that the zipper pouch is on the same side as the backpack straps. It didn't used to be that way before the snap on music pouch. I might be mis-remembering.
It seems to me that the zipper pouch and music folder would be more useful if they swapped sides.
It seems like it'd be easy to put something in the zipper pouch which would poke me in the back, so I don't use it. It seems like having a music folder in my back would be more comfortable than a mouthpiece.

Actually, I have one small Cronkite bag with zipper pouches on BOTH sides and then one big one with the zipper pouch on the backpack side and the music folder on the other. I honestly have a love/hate relationship with the larger bag.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm not using bags right now, but I think the zipper pouch against the back works as long as it's not overloaded. I suspect that most people's butts and shoulder blades stick out enough so as the built-in zipper pouch doesn't press against the back of the person.

I try not to put too much junk in my case or bag. I rarely carry sheet music, because it's usually on the stand. Lately, I've brought a few tiny tools in a tiny little Miraphone pouch with my new-to-me very large tuba, but - as soon as I begin to trust it just a little more - I'm probably going to put that pouch of things in my sock drawer and just bring the mouthpiece and oil again, as I did in the past.

I guess the only other thing I should consider tossing in with an instrument is one of those minimalist stand lights, at least until I get my eyes fixed. That having been said, most gigs were lighting is needed on music stands, it's provided.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

@tofu

The snap-on folder pouch is normally bag-colored. I had to request that it be black. All of mine are black and I interchange them from time to time, so all of them being black simplifies things for me in this regard.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tofu wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:12 am they will be moving to St. Paul this summer.
Interesting... Wonder where the new spot will be?

The current shop is about 1 block from the center of the riots in 2020... After that I'm surprised they stayed in that spot as long as they have!
ronr

Post by ronr »

What a beautiful kitty! So glad he/she approves!
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
ronr

Post by ronr »

cjk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:35 am It's cool that it came with a free kitty cat!

I have always thought it odd that the zipper pouch is on the same side as the backpack straps. It didn't used to be that way before the snap on music pouch. I might be mis-remembering.
It seems to me that the zipper pouch and music folder would be more useful if they swapped sides.
It seems like it'd be easy to put something in the zipper pouch which would poke me in the back, so I don't use it. It seems like having a music folder in my back would be more comfortable than a mouthpiece.

Actually, I have one small Cronkite bag with zipper pouches on BOTH sides and then one big one with the zipper pouch on the backpack side and the music folder on the other. I honestly have a love/hate relationship with the larger bag.
I have a small bag, and my zipper pouch is in the front and there is none in the back, and no provision for the add-on pouch.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I've never had any trouble there, especially not in the middle of the day. The shop is a good block or so north of the main road, and it's pretty calm around the shop every time I've been there (my repair person is at the Ivy Building right across the street from Torpedo... I've never actually been to Torpedo though). Just the normal stuff, lock your car, don't leave your phone and wallet sitting out, etc...
LittleJon1

Post by LittleJon1 »

LittleJon1 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:07 pm
kingrob76 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:03 pm Mine arrives Monday. That was pretty quick....
I ordered one for my JP179b feb. 13th . Nothing yet except an order #. Jenn told me on the phone when I ordered that I should expect 16-18 weeks .
It’s been 18 weeks now . I emailed Jen today to get an update . She sent a canned email back saying how sorry she is , but maybe 4 more weeks . 22 weeks is embarrassing .
With that kind of wait time, You would think that I had ordered a Ford Bronco !
Miraphone 289 5V. Selmansberger symphony
John Packer 379b. Selmansberger solo with profundo rim
Wilhelm Klier VB702 double bass
Jon Paul Martin German bow
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
the elephant (Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:51 am)
LittleJon1

Post by LittleJon1 »

My bag arrived today. Ordered on February 8th. FedEx delivered today on Sunday. I didn’t receive any tracking information . Oh well , it’s here , and beautiful . Forest green with tan leather accents.
These users thanked the author LittleJon1 for the post:
York-aholic (Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:44 pm)
Miraphone 289 5V. Selmansberger symphony
John Packer 379b. Selmansberger solo with profundo rim
Wilhelm Klier VB702 double bass
Jon Paul Martin German bow
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It has to be due to covid, climate change, or the situation in the Ukraine. When I'm slow to deliver products or services, I use one of those - or maybe a couple of them - as excuses.