ITEA Executive Director

russiantuba

ITEA Executive Director

Post by russiantuba »

https://iteaonline.org/employment/?fbc ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Could be a great opportunity for someone with the time and dedication. Pay and hours listed in the description.

Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
matt g

Re: ITEA Executive Director

Post by matt g »

$20 an hour.

Executive director.

Are they covering expenses for trips and whatnot?

The description and pay simply don’t match.

They’d be better off hiring a part time grant writer and getting grant money to hire the exec.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I guess they're appealing to the part-time-orchestra tuba player crowd. Why not supplement one $20k/year job with no benefits... With another $20k/year job with no benefits. :eyes:

Sounds like an interesting job until that last line. Maybe it's a typo.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:02 pm I guess they're appealing to the part-time-orchestra tuba player crowd. Why not supplement one $20k/year job with no benefits... With another $20k/year job with no benefits. :eyes:

Or the part-time tuba lecturer/adjunct professor peeps.

Reading the description again, if that job was a 40 hour per week job, the salary is off by an order of magnitude.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:02 pm I guess they're appealing to the part-time-orchestra tuba player crowd. Why not supplement one $20k/year job with no benefits... With another $20k/year job with no benefits. :eyes:
If that's what it takes to live your dream, one does what it takes. :smilie5:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Wow. I guess I should apply. It seems to be aimed at my specific demographic.

:laugh:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

matt g wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:08 am

Or the part-time tuba lecturer/adjunct professor peeps.

Reading the description again, if that job was a 40 hour per week job, the salary is off by an order of magnitude.
As I'm sure you well know, jobs like this are defined by accomplishing tasks and not by number of hours. So whether they call it 20 or 40 hours, it could easily be 50+ hours. It just softens the blow when the salary is high enough.

Another thought, perhaps the title and the responsibilities are inflated and beyond reality of the position. Like, there's a lot of work and crap pay, but we'll give you a big title that will look good on your resume for the future (nobody will see "executive director" on a survey and think "that's great, but is that the $150k version or the $20/hour version"?)
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

I should mention that the exiting executive director, Scott Hanson, is a freelance teacher and is married to the ITEC host Deanna Swoboda.
These users thanked the author russiantuba for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Tue May 02, 2023 10:50 am) • MN_TimTuba (Thu May 04, 2023 10:59 am)
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
matt g

Post by matt g »

To beat a dead horse...

Here are the items listed with the job description, for those unwilling to click the link.

1. Collaborate with the Board of Directors to identify, create and implement strategic plans to actualize business objectives.

2. Identify and lead critical departments and manage strategic business functions.

3. Monitor company operations and ensure employees and business practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements.

4. Develop the organizational culture and promote transparency and collaboration throughout the organization.

5. Develop partnerships with ITEA stakeholders, members, and other relevant parties.

6. Identify potential risks and opportunities within the organization and its environment to protect business interests.

7. Identify potential sources of investment and organize fundraising efforts.

8. Represent the company at social and corporate events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate the company’s message.

9. Maintain day to day operations within the ITEA.

Let's look at these.

Overall, the wording implies someone who has run a successful business or business unit at some level.

Here's what my concerns would be:

For 1, what are the ITEA business objectives? These need to be already defined to some degree and available for reference. How can I make you a plan for building a bike when you want a wagon?

For 2, what are the critical departments and business functions under ITEA? Again, links and references. Or is this person supposed to come in and develop these departments and functions from whole cloth? If that's the case...

For 3, what are the current employee positions and what is the level of effort for each role? Does ITEA have an intended ERP system in mind to manage operations, or is this just Excel bookkeeping?

For 4, this is a departure from an operations and strategy person. This is HR and EEO. Whoever is applying needs to understand that they are going to be counting on this person to fulfill two roles, and this is usually done with people that aren't "of the same brain".

For 5, this is relatively benign. However, it seems as though ITEA is looking for revenue streams.

For 6, this is back to the strategy person. First question: what are the business interests of ITEA? Note: I see strategic objectives here (https://iteaonline.org/about-itea/), but those aren't business, imo. Here's a reference for what I'd say comprises a business: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business

For 7, more strategy, but what is being invested? What are the goals of investing?

For 8, this is the one that actually concerns me the most. Mainly because it implies travel and other expenses. Does the ITEA have a substantial travel budget? There are probably lots of places ITEA could work to solicit members, but they are spread out a good bit and aren't necessarily cheap to get to.

For 9, this also seems benign. Yet, the wording is of concern. Are they expecting daily/weekly/quarterly reports? Day-to-day makes it sound like the job requires frequent tasking.

I think a lot of the issues are due to someone being a bit lax on putting the job description into the perspective of what the job actually is, especially when framed with what they are willing to pay. This sounds like a vanilla senior level exec job that would require $200k+ to fill. I also don't like the idea that the job is a constant ~20 hours per week. If it's seasonally demanding, this should be explicit. Don't provide the average effort when it's really a few 40+ hour weeks here and there. That's misleading.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

A professional organization that I'm a member of just hired an executive director... I just checked the job posting:

Part time, 20 hours/week on average
Health benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience (what a cop-out!)
3-year term

I bet it's more than $20-25k though.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Honestly, that description sounds suspiciously like a cut-and-paste job taken from some corporation's website, and "ITEA" was pasted in place of the original company's name. This list does not sound like an accurate description of a part-time leader of a smallish, niche nonprofit for a rather arcane interest group.

Or is ITEA a for-profit company now?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

the elephant wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:39 am Honestly, that description sounds suspiciously like a cut-and-paste job taken from some corporation's website, and "ITEA" was pasted in place of the original company's name. This list does not sound like an accurate description of a part-time leader of a smallish, niche nonprofit for a rather arcane interest group.

Or is ITEA a for-profit company now?
You are 100% correct. The job description is a point-for-point copy of someone's job description on LinkedIn.

Executive Director
Ten Thousand Lakes Foundation
Jul 2019 - Present3 years 11 months

Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Area

•Collaborate with the board of Directors to identify, create and implement strategic plans to actualize business objectives.
•Identify, recruit, train and develop a talented team of employees who can lead critical departments and manage strategic business functions.
•Monitor company operations and ensure employees and business practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements.
•Develop the organizational culture and promote transparency and collaboration throughout the organization.
•Develop partnerships with company stakeholders, shareholders, industry regulators and other relevant parties.
•Identify potential risks and opportunities within the organization and its environment to protect business interests.
•Identify potential sources of investment and organize fundraising efforts.
•Represent the company at social and corporate events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate the company’s message.

just with ITEA inserted and certain things removed as needed.

I don't think that guy is necessarily related to any of this, but rather comes from a wordbank for executive director job searches.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Tue May 02, 2023 12:39 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Thu May 04, 2023 11:04 am)
Blake
Mark

Post by Mark »

I actually saw this job posting before the post here on the forum. My first thought was that salary doesn't look right. The receptionists at my wife's small medical office are being paid $25 per hour.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

arpthark wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:48 am

You are 100% correct. The job description is a point-for-point copy of someone's job description on LinkedIn.

Templates may not actually be "plagiarism" but it seems an academically oriented organization would be extra-sensitive about those sort of things. :huh:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
the elephant (Tue May 02, 2023 12:39 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Hey ChatGPT, write me a job description for executive director of a nonprofit
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 3):
the elephant (Tue May 02, 2023 1:04 pm) • russiantuba (Tue May 02, 2023 5:39 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Thu May 04, 2023 11:05 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm Hey ChatGPT, write me a job description for executive director of a nonprofit
Sure, here's a job description for an Executive Director of a nonprofit:

Job Title: Executive Director

Organization: [Insert Name of Nonprofit]

Position Type: Full-Time

Reports To: Board of Directors

Summary:

The Executive Director is the key management leader of [Insert Name of Nonprofit]. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.

Responsibilities:

• Leadership: Provide leadership to the organization by working with the Board of Directors and staff to establish and achieve goals, strategies, and plans for the organization.

• Fundraising: Develop and implement fundraising strategies to ensure that the organization has the necessary resources to fulfill its mission.

• Financial Management: Ensure that the organization operates within its budget and that appropriate financial controls are in place.

• Program Management: Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services that support the organization's mission.

• Marketing and Communications: Develop and implement marketing and communication strategies to increase awareness of the organization's mission and programs.

• Human Resources Management: Ensure that the organization has the necessary staff, volunteers, and contractors to achieve its goals.

• Community Outreach: Build relationships with key stakeholders and community leaders to promote the organization's mission and programs.

Qualifications:

• Bachelor's or Master's degree in nonprofit management, business administration, or a related field.

• 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit management, with a proven track record of success in fundraising, program development, and staff management.

• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.

• Ability to build relationships with key stakeholders and community leaders.

• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a board of directors.

• Knowledge of nonprofit law, accounting, and financial management.

To Apply:

Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to [Insert Contact Information]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. [Insert Name of Nonprofit] is an equal opportunity employer.
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I had no idea that they even had that much dough (you're thinking $20K?) to toss around.

It also seems to me that a paid position (particularly a directorship) should be permanent, rather than a "term"...but (as I remind myself with so very many things) "It ain't mine."
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am I had no idea that they even had that much dough (you're thinking $20K?) to toss around.

It also seems to me that a paid position (particularly a directorship) should be permanent, rather than a "term"...but (as I remind myself with so very many things) "It ain't mine."
I think the term limits are likely unnecessary... because I don't think many people would last in one of these jobs for more than 3-5 years (at any salary) before feeling like they've exhausted their effectiveness.

Two other thoughts:
* Term limits are intended to limit stagnation. If you only get 3 years to do your thing, it's perceived that you're more likely to make changes, keep things moving along, and be focused for growth... as opposed to being a placeholder, caretaker, or simply continuing the work of the previous person in that role.
* Related to above... it's a different set of people that will apply to a 3-year position than will apply to a "until I decide to leave" position
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

re: "stagnation"

George Washington...
- neither liked being president
- nor was a young man (65 when he stepped down) with boundless energy

BUT
- he was our BEST president, and every one since has been either "sorta ok"or (most of them) "bad".
Alfredo1898
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alfredo1898 »

I looked on Guidestar at ITEA's Annual Form 990s for the three years posted (2018, 2019, 2020) and they list Scott Hanson as paid Executive Director working 10 hours per week at the following - 2018, $26,555; 2019, $29,565; 2020, $31,080. Given the historical raises over those 2 years (11.3% and 5.1%) and the inflation over the past 3 years, and the fact they want 20 hours and not 10, the salary should be listed at $80,080 ($31,080 x 1.30 x 2).