College Marching Auditions

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Name_Plate
Has thanked: 0

College Marching Auditions

Post by Name_Plate »

Hello,

I am looking for some good music for auditioning for the PSU Blue Band next year (I am currently enrolled at a PSU branch campus). I would have auditioned for it this year but the current situation made me reconsider, so I for goed the audition. I will be getting my tuba on Saturday and want something good to work on. My band director does not know brass well, so I have turned to you all for help looking for good audition music. Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

Connor H

King 1241, B&H Imperial Euph, Conn 112H, King 606, King 3BF, Yamaha YTTR-2330
matt g

Re: College Marching Auditions

Post by matt g »

For collegiate marching band auditions, usually showing proficiency over the 12 major scales (2 octaves), the chromatic scale, and two contrasting etudes is more than sufficient. That’s usually a selection from Bordogni and one from Kopprasch.

I briefly looked for information from them, but that seems to be lacking. I think if you have all of the above ready and possibly a decent solo piece ready to go at the time of the audition, you’ll be fine.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I've never heard of a marching band audition.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am I've never heard of a marching band audition.
They exist. And they have existed for quite a while.

What’s left to determine is the utility of them. I can see where they are useful for stuff like trumpet sections, but no idea about sousaphone. We would normally pack the center of the line with better players.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Teubonium

Post by Teubonium »

matt g wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 am
bort2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am I've never heard of a marching band audition.
They exist. And they have existed for quite a while.
Yes, I had to audition for U. of Iowa Hawkeye Marching Band in 1958. (Yeah, I'm 80 yearsold and still playing).
Audition was simple. Several scales and a couple of pieces to sight read.
Name_Plate

Post by Name_Plate »

Thank you for the input, I am currently working to get 3 octaves in every major/ minor scale. I was looking for some help identifying a few good solos to work with. I have some former classmates join the band so I know the basics of the audition process. The solo is the part I am most concerned with because I have never had to prepare a true solo before so I don't really know what a good solo would comprise of for a tuba.
King 1241, B&H Imperial Euph, Conn 112H, King 606, King 3BF, Yamaha YTTR-2330
matt g

Post by matt g »

Name_Plate wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:28 pm Thank you for the input, I am currently working to get 3 octaves in every major/ minor scale. I was looking for some help identifying a few good solos to work with. I have some former classmates join the band so I know the basics of the audition process. The solo is the part I am most concerned with because I have never had to prepare a true solo before so I don't really know what a good solo would comprise of for a tuba.
My free advice and worth every penny...

1. Buy this:

Suite - Walter S. Hartley - THEODORE PRESSER - Tuba solo - Tuba Unaccompanied - 164-00061

2. Work it up to a decent tempo. There are several good recordings on YouTube and such for reference. Commit it to memory. Once you have, you’ll have something interesting and indicative of about 90% of your ability over several genres with about 8 minutes of music and no pianist needed.

3. ???

4. Profit.

Also, while working your scales up to 3 or 4 octaves is noble, only 2 octaves, and in the “cash register” is enough for most auditions and juries.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Not for tuba.

We just :slap:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
jtm

Post by jtm »

There was a comment elsewhere from someone clearly disdainful of marching bands that said you're in if you bring your own tuba and play something vaguely melodic. You likely know better, but just in case,
  • The band will supply a performance instrument, most likely a Bb sousaphone. For the audition, if you have a tuba you're comfortable playing, bring that. If you don't, or if it would be difficult to bring your own tuba because of travel, tell them well in advance and they should be happy to lend you a tuba or sousaphone to use for the audition.
  • There will be music majors in the band, along with engineers and business majors and other musicians, so whoever hears your audition will not be surprised by good playing. Don't stress about demonstrating extreme range, though; they barely need more than two octaves (total) from sousaphones. Arrangements never go below E because the horns have 3 valves and they won't expect anyone to play false tones on the marching field, and anything higher than Ab at the top of the base clef is also rare.
Ask your contacts to be sure, but the audition may be two stages: one short playing audition to get in to training, and then another tryout after a few days of summer band.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Doc

Post by Doc »

What requirements are listed on the PSU website or in their literature?
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

jtm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am There was a comment elsewhere from someone clearly disdainful of marching bands ...
Aw, what are you saying? Marching bands matter? Can we still mock drum corps? :bugeyes: You're not going to band me are you?
jtm

Post by jtm »

bone-a-phone wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:36 am You're not going to band me are you?
Where's that groan emoji? Maybe :facepalm2:

I've mocked marching bands plenty, but it's not sporting to spout nonsense to someone who seems to genuinely care about joining one.

One thing in particular that sets me off (and it might not be where that particular answer was coming from; probably just joke from a nice guy) is academics in music schools who can't understand how their students can simultaneously want to be fine musicians and also do a couple of seasons in the football band, so they'll dis the band or even prohibit it.
John Morris
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

jtm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm One thing in particular that sets me off (and it might not be where that particular answer was coming from; probably just joke from a nice guy) is academics in music schools who can't understand how their students can simultaneously want to be fine musicians and also do a couple of seasons in the football band, so they'll dis the band or even prohibit it.
Well, I attended a conservatory, which obviously didn't have a marching band, but I also was in a military band for 4 years, so I've done more than my share of marching. I just thought I'd take a dig at the fresh wounds around here while also taking a dig at the march/anti-march rift that happens any time two or more musicians are gathered together. Just can't help mixing metaphors.
jtm

Post by jtm »

Funny how attractive those fresh wounds seem to be. The comment I referred to was from the old place :)

I was a bassoon player in college, so no one in the concert groups ever told me I shouldn't march with a sousaphone. Besides, I was an engineering major, so nobody cared.
John Morris
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm Besides, I was an engineering major, so nobody cared.
Unless you are getting a scholarship for participating in marching band, there would be no reason for it to be a big deal either way.

Some small colleges require marching band. If it wasn't required, and you weren't seeking a scholarship, you would only need to be in marching band if that's what you wanted. And having fun, making friends, traveling to new places, and seeing games for free is appealing to some folks. And there's nothing wrong with that. But down here, you do have to accept that the price you are going to pay is sweating your tail off, coming home exhausted, and trying not to die of heat stroke.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Post by jtm »

Doc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm ... But down here, you do have to accept that the price you are going to pay is sweating your tail off, coming home exhausted, and trying not to die of heat stroke.
For sure.... I did one year of no music (but really good grades), then decided I really missed the music. So, two years of band (and wind ensemble in the spring), but that was enough to use up my time and heat budgets. I did get some good friends and good trips out of it, though.
John Morris
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:31 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm ... But down here, you do have to accept that the price you are going to pay is sweating your tail off, coming home exhausted, and trying not to die of heat stroke.
For sure.... I did one year of no music (but really good grades), then decided I really missed the music. So, two years of band (and wind ensemble in the spring), but that was enough to use up my time and heat budgets. I did get some good friends and good trips out of it, though.
I formed some lifelong friendships in during college marching band, and have some great memories. And some stories that I can tell when the statute of limitations run out. :teeth:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

If you ain’t wearing Spatz and hi-stepping in that band, you might as well set yer ass down, no point... :smilie5:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column