more on: traditions (a topic that seems to trigger, and which many seem to detest)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
kingrob76

Re: more on: traditions (a topic that seems to trigger, and which many seem to detest)

Post by kingrob76 »

I'm in the minority here. I avoid dressing up at all costs unless I'm getting paid. If I'm doing a band concert where I am effectively out of view I will prioritize comfort over formality 10 out of 10 times (while still passing for being dressed appropriately). Yes, that means black sneakers or black Crocs that look like slip-on loafers. I've got to play a couple of outdoor shows at Mount Vernon at the end of the month and I'll be wearing shorts until about 10 minutes before downbeat when I will pull on a pair of black golf slacks (effectively summer-weight sweats) to go with our royal blue polos.

There are times when I can't avoid dressing up, but, I have no qualms wearing shorts in 35 degree weather either and basically dressing like a baseball coach.

Rob. Just Rob.
Breavdah

Re: more on: traditions (a topic that seems to trigger, and which many seem to detest)

Post by Breavdah »

No way in heck I'm wearing long pants over 70 degrees.
Nor will I wear long sleeves over 60 degrees.
But I'm so handsome I still look good. :laugh:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Some of you probably don't understand that I'm only talking about events and ceremonies. Working around here in the wintertime - when I'm not perspiring or personally smelling up my clothes, I'll wear the same pair of jeans for two weeks or longer before finally washing them. They get filthy in the shop and they get filthy out on the property. As long as they only smell like buffing dirt, various chemicals, various petroleum products, and dirt, I'm just going to wear them, because washing clothes incessantly wears clothes out prematurely, and - out here at blokeplace - it's just me.
...so in the same way that I out-conservative most all conservatives, I also out-casual those who probably perceive themselves as the most casual. (Yeah, I do shower or bathe every night - and sometimes even in the morning, depending on how sore I feel from working.)
matt g

Post by matt g »

Some of the fashion stuff is just the industry using cheaper stuff to get more profit. And it’s still marketed as “high fashion”.

Most men dislike button up shirts as a normal shirt because they fit awful. If one buys a decent shirt (now > $100), it’s still $15-$25 to a tailor to get things put right. And you’ve got to find a tailor (or seamstress).

So then a $80 short sleeve shirt that has no collar button gets marketed as upscale to fill a gap.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
jtm

Post by jtm »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:42 pm … No one has yet mentioned white sneakers but I bet it's on the way.
Works for the Canadian Brass?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

kingrob76 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:53 am There are times when I can't avoid dressing up, but, I have no qualms wearing shorts in 35 degree weather either and basically dressing like a baseball coach.
@kingrob76 , the next senator from the great state of Pennsylvania :laugh:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:46 pm) • Three Valves (Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:48 pm)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:32 pm
kingrob76 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:53 am There are times when I can't avoid dressing up, but, I have no qualms wearing shorts in 35 degree weather either and basically dressing like a baseball coach.
I lack the snake oil to be a TV Doctor.
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

kingrob76 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:54 am
bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:32 pm
I lack the snake oil to be a TV Doctor.
but an overdose of snake oil can cause a bad enough stroke to put one in a nursing home...or in the Senate chambers - as long as there are enough drop-off box locations...
...speaking of which (back on the topic of boycotting - and I have trouble boycotting most all of the kook corporations, because I never buy any of their stuff anyway), I actually am boycotting PA (I just don't want to buy a gallon of gas, a loaf of bread, a stick of gum, nor anything-in-particular there, though I'd be glad to sell to anyone there) - though my only three grandchildren live there. (I see them when they come HERE.)
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

kingrob76 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:53 am I'm in the minority here. I avoid dressing up at all costs unless I'm getting paid. If I'm doing a band concert where I am effectively out of view I will prioritize comfort over formality 10 out of 10 times (while still passing for being dressed appropriately). Yes, that means black sneakers or black Crocs that look like slip-on loafers. I've got to play a couple of outdoor shows at Mount Vernon at the end of the month and I'll be wearing shorts until about 10 minutes before downbeat when I will pull on a pair of black golf slacks (effectively summer-weight sweats) to go with our royal blue polos.

There are times when I can't avoid dressing up, but, I have no qualms wearing shorts in 35 degree weather either and basically dressing like a baseball coach.
I'm with you here. I have on occasion worn black socks onto stage. No one, including the people seated next to me, have noticed. You've got to keep a good poker face if you accidentally empty spit onto your merely-socked foot, however.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

??

The only socks in my drawer are regular-length thick black socks, and two pair of long men's dress "hose" (to preclude any onstage calf exposure).

I have one pair of white athletic socks, which I wear with my not-to-be-worn-out-on-the-property white tennis shoes.

Why ONLY black? ...because I don't have to turn on the damn light and sort through a bunch of (not identifying a "birthing person") various "hues" of browns, greens, blues, tans, and the like (even before my first cup of coffee. THEY'RE JUST SOCKS, FOLKS !

As they wear out, I throw away single socks, and (WOW !!!) they all continue to match. When I'm down to a week's worth, I go buy another week's worth (same make/grade) and mix them in. If the new are 1/10 of a hue of black darker than the old, soon they won't be...and (guess what...??) no one has EVER seemed to notice.

Life's too short to F with different colors of socks and colored underwear...ok...except for sissies. :teeth:

oh yeah...somewhere - down in there - are a couple pair of "stupid joke" birthday/Christmas socks. I should probably throw those away, but haven't.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
JESimmons (Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:31 am)
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

Most playing (and gigging) opportunities around here involve joining or helping out a "Trachtenkapelle".
A "Tracht" probably is the epitome of formal attire and shall not be confused with Lederhosen and Dindl, aka "octoberfest uniform".
These are individually taylor-made works of art/craft. A Men´s set (Special shoes, woollen breeches, white shirt, embroidered vest, matching yup or frock coat, hat) will cost about 1500€, the women´s Tracht (Different special shoes, floor length pleated skirt, fancy apron, embroidered and silver/brass-adorned bodice, VERY fancy hat with gold. or silver plated wire structure, blouse) will cost more than twice as much.
Which is why many bands decided to use male Tracht only.

When we attend a "Musikfest",https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey03e5M7IX8 we encounter the paradox of extremely formal / traditional dress worn to extremely casual / relaxed / non-formal events.

These "Trachten" are worn to these festivals all day beginning at 9 am and ending late at night /early the next morning (whenever you´re done partying). And yes, when you wear one for the first time, you realise it will take some getting used to. Formal dress, as in black suit and tie, is just as comfortable to wear and have fun in.
These users thanked the author Tubeast for the post:
bloke (Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The next time I play le Sacre du Printemps, I wouldn't mind wearing one of these:

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Yabba dabba Danse Sacrale
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:27 pm)
Blake
Mark

Post by Mark »

smitwil1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:54 amI’ve never seen an argument in Field and Stream by elk hunters bemoaning the loss of the worsted wool suit, jodhpurs, and ties in favor of day-glow orange vests worn over woodland cammo.
Just to be clear; are you suggesting concertgoers should wear camo?
These users thanked the author Mark for the post:
York-aholic (Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:31 pm)