BBC tuba rest

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
JRaymo

BBC tuba rest

Post by JRaymo »

Just received my BBC tuba rest today. By far the nicest one I’ve seen. I tried to buy one of these maybe a year ago. They said at the time they would not be making anymore. Got a phone call out of the blue asking if I still wanted one. So happy I was able to get one. Anyone still wanting one I would call them. Who knows how many they will make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JRaymo for the post:
TheBerlinerTuba (Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:42 am)

LibraryMark

Re: BBC tuba rest

Post by LibraryMark »

Is this what you are talking about?

Pretty neat idea. I would think that with a table saw and a router, a person could crank them out for next to nothing. They'd make great tuba Christmas gifts!
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
Mark (Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:00 pm)
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

LibraryMark wrote:Is this what you are talking about?

Pretty neat idea. I would think that with a table saw and a router, a person could crank them out for next to nothing. They'd make great tuba Christmas gifts!
No it’s a playing rest I should have said. Like the DEG or the K and M but very well made. They have not been available for a very long time.

JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Here is a picture of one for reference. Very well made.

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

BBC playing stands are the gold standard.

I have a DEG one and I find it to be a little clunky and awkward. The spring-loaded BBC mechanisms are really nice.
Blake
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

arpthark wrote:BBC playing stands are the gold standard.

I have a DEG one and I find it to be a little clunky and awkward. The spring-loaded BBC mechanisms are really nice.
I was on a wait list for a long time. So long that I forgot about it and they called me out of the blue and asked if I still wanted one. I don’t know how many they made or will have but it’s much better than my DEG which is held together with a hose clamp.

peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

@peterbas

What you're showing there might (??) be one of the things that my friend - the owner of the world-renowned Memphis Drum Shop - was offering to show me...

...I'm pretty sure that - over the phone - he was trying to describe various drum throne "add-ons" to me.

...I don't know which (??) would be easier to carry around, but - with the keyboard bench (a bit over $40, w/domestic shipping) - I have a larger plain/flat surface, which (I would think?) offers me more freedom of movement, and allows me to move the tuba slightly here-or-there a bit more...(??)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:10 am Yeah, once you invest in a table saw, a router, a place to use them, attain the skill to use them as needed, lumber, fasteners, carpeting, and adhesives, right after all that, it would be next to nothing to crank them out until you needed more materials. Working for free is fun, too! :laugh:

I bet he’s not talking about these, btw. I bet he’s talking about the BBC playing stand that’s now back in production, at least for now.
I have always followed the notion that "he who dies with the most tools wins".
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author peterbas for the post (total 2):
bloke (Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:42 pm) • LibraryMark (Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:15 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

peterbas wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:53 pm Some sax player on YouTube wasn't that happy with the stool and only used the arm on a KM stool like this, which he preferred for comfort.
Still, your solution wins on price and ease of carrying. But maybe a bench with some better foam could be an "only buy" solution?

https://www.thomann.de/be/km_stehhilfe_ ... wAEALw_wcB
I'm going to ATTEMPT to quit off-topic-ing this thread (though, at least I'm not SELLING anything... :thumbsup: )

This is the rubber that I used to replace the thick/crappy white 2" foam rubber within...
...so I guess the total cost ended up around $65 + some "home labor (prying staples, cutting rubber, tacking down rubber, and re-stapling).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354471302040