Looking to downsize...my tuba, that is

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubanh84

Re: Looking to downsize...my tuba, that is

Post by tubanh84 »

arpthark wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:40 am
Mary Ann wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:36 am
matt g wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:52 pm Dillon Music has a new 185 in stock:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/miraphone-model-85-cc-tuba/
I think someone play tested that one and found truly awful intonation problems, a while back.
Paging @tubanh84
If that is the same one then yes. I wouldn't go near it. Tried a lot of mouthpieces on it. Not one that made the intonation workable.

bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:32 pm You might look for a GOOD CONDITION vintage (16-1/2 bell) FOUR VALVE (pick you length - B-flat or C) Miraphone 186 (handmade/sheet metal).

Those are going weigh less than your jimbo for two reasons:

- sheet metal
- one less valve

...and you'll still have a full-size-sounding tuba.

If you think a 19.6mm bore size is too large, just use a MOUTHPIECE with a SMALLER THROAT SIZE.

-------------------------------------
When I'm using my cimbasso on pops concerts (and peeling paint, at the appropriate moments), some people think I'm working my @$$ off...
I'm using a mouthpiece with the equivalent of a large bass trombone mouthpiece throat size.
I end all of those concerts with dry T-shirts. :coffee:
Mirafone 186 CC 4v small bell.....from the 60's....can't go wrong...
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
bloke (Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:49 pm)
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

Stryk

Post by Stryk »

LeMark wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:20 pm It's not rotary , it if it wanted a small CC I would snag one of those mack brass Yamaha 621 copies. Norm Epley has the real thing for sale, and I'm going to be at his house in a week
Are those better than the Amati? The Amati is larger than the 184, but the weight is about the same.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

We'll find out. I'll play the one at norm's next week if he still has it. They were good enough for the Canadian brass for years
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:14 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Why not tell why >>> you <<< like it, rather than defending it with others' ownership?

The same people mention own(ed) instruments (whether for a few years or quite a few years) that I would never consider buying/using...

ex's;
...a model 80 F cut to G...an 822 double tuba...a model 90C...a York 4/4 C...
Last edited by bloke on Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:13 pm)
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

I briefly owned a Mirafone 185 from the early 70's. It is hands down the best horn I have ever played. That being said, I have had hand issues since about 30 years old. I'm 50 now and starting to develop some shoulder issues. The original poster is looking for something small with a small bore. This has been my issue for years. My hands require short stroke rotors which usually means small bore. Horns like the Piggy won't work. I have owned one and the rotor throw is too long. I found my perfect solution in a Mirafone 184 built in the mid 80's and once owned by Dana Hofer. The intonation is really solid, the rotor throw is short, and the spacing and length of the rotor paddles fit my hand perfectly. This is the first horn I have owned in the past 20 years that hasn't caused me much hand pain. I also had a 3/4 Rudy when I played professionally. Probably more rare than the 184 and much more expensive. It was also excellent for my hands and comfortable to hold. I would bet the 184 is best price and best fit. I will definitely keep my eyes open. BTW I bought mine for $3500 so they can be had at a reasonable cost. There were 3 for sale when I bought mine. They do come around from time to time.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
Jperry1466 (Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:57 pm)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Snake Charmer »

Knowing that those joint issues will not get any better over the years I would think about this one:
https://jestaedt-instrumente.de/instrumente/tuebchen/
I have played them and heard them played by good players, these horns are great. Only a bit more chamber-music-sized. But you get a full tuba with the weight of modern euphonium. And being hand-made you can order a custom height leadpipe.
This would be my choice for a lightweight tuba, if I had to chose one. Luckily my 1909 SBF F tuba has only 6 kgs as well! (same weight as the french C!!)
These users thanked the author Snake Charmer for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:12 pm)
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I just wanted to chime in on the 4 rotor suggestion --- people squeak about needing a fifth rotor. My recent Miraphone Ebs, both of them, have a very useable false tone on Ab. No, it's not as secure as having valves down, but if you can securely play that pitch, it can work very well. I was actually considering the only new Star I could find, which was in Europe somewhere, and it was a four rotor. My friend who also plays a Star, screeched that I'd have terrible trouble selling it; I said, I don't care because it is going in the coffin with me, and I will never have to sell it. Then I got my Star back and, for that low Ab especially in the oompah range, the false tone is just as easy as having three rotors down, although with a different feel. A real connoisseur listener type could probably tell the difference, but not yer avg listener.

That 184 5U CC I bought a while back has been sitting since I got the Star back. I'll go dig it out of the back bedroom and see if I still want it. If the OP is interested, perhaps we could get on Zoom and talk about it with a show and tell.

And -- that 4 valve older-but-nicely-modified 183 Eb is the lightest tuba I've ever played, with an open low range using that false tone. Not physically pretty but zero complaints. Those are probably more scarce than 184s when modified with a standard receiver. That one, though, I still play in venues that I don't want to expose the Star to.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:51 pm)
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:14 am That 184 5U CC I bought a while back has been sitting since I got the Star back. I'll go dig it out of the back bedroom and see if I still want it. If the OP is interested, perhaps we could get on Zoom and talk about it with a show and tell.
I agree with you on the 5th valve. The only reason I have one is because the Mack was not available without one. For my community band and ensemble use, I really use it very little. While I knew the 5th valve added weight, I was surprised at how much weight it adds.

If you decide to let go of the 184, I would like very much to talk to you about it.
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
Mary Ann (Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:28 pm)
Tuba1153

Post by Tuba1153 »

Jim, I have a 3/4 Weril CC. It is a very small yamaclone of the small CC Yamaha. It is a 4 valve piston horn but gets the job done when needed.
These users thanked the author Tuba1153 for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:50 pm)
===================
Mirafone 186 CC
B&S PT-5P CC
Cerveny Piggy CC
Cerveny 686 BBb
B&S Symphonie F
Meinl-Weston Pre-25 BBb
Weril CC
BMB J-345 Eb
B&H 782 Imperial Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Those 1970's Meister Gerhard Schneider (B&S) C tubas (imported by Selmer USA) were 4-rotor instruments, sheet metal, featured 16-1/2 inch bells, were just a bit smaller than 186 tubas, and sported a 19mm bore (roughly 2% less circular area in the bore, compared to the 186 bore).

' pretty good/not commonly seen offered for sale... :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Jperry1466 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:51 pm)
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
Jperry1466 (Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:15 am)