FS/FT Harvey Philips Bb and CC tubas

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Jinitude
Has thanked: 0

FS/FT Harvey Philips Bb and CC tubas

Post by Jinitude »

For sale or trade - I have a Bb and a CC Harvey Phillips Holton tubas. Both come with a gig bag, the CC has a leather reunion blues gig bag and the Bb has a non-leather reunion blues (I think, I’ll check again when I get home) gig bag.

The CC tuba is in excellent condition, maybe a minor ping here or there. More pictures upon request. $5500

The Bb is in great condition with some signs of solder work and use. Used, but not abused. More pictures upon request. $4500

These are super rare and hard to find for sure.

I would consider a trade - I can add cash or you could add cash. Would consider a 3/4 or 4/4, Bb or CC. Mainly would consider something like Adams, Yamaha, Willson, B&S, Miraphone, Alexander, XO, etc.

I am also on the hunt for a compensating euphonium, would prefer a Yamaha, but would consider others.

I already have a Bb Miraphone 182 and a 186. But would consider a CC version of one of those.

I am in Starkville, Mississippi, but there are some potential road trips in the next couple of months to Baton Rouge, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, Chattanooga TN, Pittsburg, PA (not for sure yet), Birmingham AL….

I would consider driving up to 3-4 hours from Starkville as well. I DO have 2 boxes that I COULD ship, but note that shipping is going to be pricey. I got 2 tubas in the mail safely in these boxes, so it should be OK, but you would have to assume the risk. It would ship fully insured. Ships from 39759.

If you have a trade offer, hit me up. Worst I can say is no. Please keep in mind that my job during the day is pretty demanding, so you may not hear back from me until after 1900 CST on any given day.

Please email for more pictures,
Attachments
IMG_0999.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0990.jpeg
IMG_0990.jpeg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0992.jpeg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0998.jpeg
IMG_0998.jpeg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_0999.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 672 times
These users thanked the author Jinitude for the post (total 2):
MN_TimTuba (Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:48 pm) • bloke (Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:05 pm)

matt g

Re: FS/FT Harvey Philips Bb and CC tubas

Post by matt g »

Hopefully someone buys these, picks them up, and then stops by @bloke’s place for some light work and a side-by-side with his Holton/King.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I probably would have preferred to buy that B-flat than to have built the one that I built for myself.

I don't really derive any joy from "building" instruments, and only do it so I'll have something that isn't available otherwise.

I think it would have been interesting to have been able to build mine with a .665" bore, because - before I pulled off the top action three-valve valve section of the same bore size, mine played pretty darn good.

The reason for Holton using this bore size was the same reason that other manufacturers end up using certain bore sizes: It's a result of telescoping tubing. The outside slide tube that fits the .665" bore slide tubes fits perfectly inside the Holton .750" (inside) slide tubes.

Actually I would love to go play this horn, but I'm not a candidate for purchasing it. Starkville is in an adjacent state but it's probably a complete day trip - absorbing an entire day to go there, talk niceties with this person, play their instrument, maybe buy them a nice lunch, and then drive home. I just don't have that sort of time this time of year. :smilie6:

If someone does buy it, do please bring it by here on your way home if I'm on your way.
Jinitude

Post by Jinitude »

@bloke

I’m actually heading to your shop sometime in the near future. Need to drop off my 186 and 282 for some work. I just haven’t had time, but I might this weekend if you are around! I can bring these two along if you wanted to check them out. :-).
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Jinitude wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:35 pm @bloke

I’m actually heading to your shop sometime in the near future. Need to drop off my 186 and 282 for some work. I just haven’t had time, but I might this weekend if you are around! I can bring these two along if you wanted to check them out. :-).
I'm in the midst of summer repaired (un-destroying - mostly - marching stuff), but I'm not going to tell you to not come (double negative).

I'd wager that the stuff you are going to request is much easier and quicker than most of this stuff.

Also...Tomorrow I'm shoehorning in a customer's Besson euphonium and Andrew Miller is also coming by tomorrow with [who-knows-what]...

...so I'd welcome a visit, would like to compare the 331 production Holton B-flat (with the approx. 1/2mm smaller bore, and the 1"-less bell pancake) to mine, and suspect that I'll be able to stay on-schedule with all the torn-up school repairs.

Send me a private message.
Jinitude

Post by Jinitude »

Yeah, don’t need too much done…the 282 is new, so the slides are super stiff. Would like to vent the first valve as well. :-). The 186 just needs a tuneup I think!! I’ll message you to confirm timing and availability!!
internalanarchy

Post by internalanarchy »

Hello, I don't think you listed your email.

Question about the BBb as Roger Lewis on "the other forum" had this quote about this instrument: "on the BBb model there was a miscalculation on the length of the 3rd valve slide causing those notes using that valve to be flat. Holton was very quick to re-design the slides and send me replacements."

I assume yours has the corrected slide?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I've seen both of them. I didn't play them very much, but both of the Holton's are good condition.

I didn't notice any goofy issues with the 2-3 combination on the B-flat.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
MN_TimTuba (Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:59 pm) • York-aholic (Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:52 pm)