bringing opinions to the fore from another forum

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Breavdah

Re: bringing opinions to the fore from another forum

Post by Breavdah »

Popularity of the model: 20%
Rarity of the model: 20%
Condition: 30%. Depends on value. If it'll need a $300 econo-econo "rebuild" on a clunker vs a Collij tuba, that's a different percent.
The Seller, combined score: 30%. Includes photos, trustworthiness, not acting like they have something mint when it's something average, not setting an opening price that makes me feel like a jerk asking to pay half.

Sousaswag

Re: bringing opinions to the fore from another forum

Post by Sousaswag »

I buy the specific model I want, for the price I want, and it has to be within driving distance. I only buy horns in *excellent* condition.

Driving distance- even better if the seller is willing to meet me in the middle. More often than not, that hasn’t happened. When it does, I’m more likely to pay their asking price (so long as it fits my budget)

Play test- as long as nothing strikes me as very out of tune or not easy to play, I’ll probably buy the thing, with the forethought of being able to sell it for what I paid for it later. It takes me about a year to decide if I’ll keep a horn longer than a year or not.

There are so many variables to this. Ultimately, if it fits my budget, and in reasonable distance, I’ll probably buy it if I’m interested.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb