New tuba day! Start of my F-tuba journey

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BramJ

New tuba day! Start of my F-tuba journey

Post by BramJ »

For a few years now (pretty much since finding 'the other forum' and this forum) I have had a thought in the back of my head to buy/try a bass tuba. I have always been playing 'big' BBb tuba's, such as compensating and non-compensating Besson's, while they do definitely have place laying down a nice foundation for a brass or wind band it is not always the most fun playing at home.

My searches on online market places kept 'drawing' me to a german style rotor F-Tuba . 2-3 weeks ago the 'bass tuba itch' was back again and I started looking and I found this one on the german "kleinanzeigen" site (in The Netherlands F tuba's are really rare, and if they are available it are expensive professional grade instruments) So, with my best Google Translate German I contacted the seller and he soon mentioned a Dutch friend that was coming over a week later and he could take the instrument with him to the Netherlands so that I could try it out and pick it up much closer to home, turns out that Dutch friend was someone I bought a mouthpiece from 2 weeks prior, small world! He is a really experienced tuba player and was able to test the instrument for me as I don't really have any experience with F-tuba's.

Now, enough talk! My new F-Tuba:

It is an Amati 451, modified with a 5th valve, minibal linkage and a MTS trigger, it is raw brass so I am going to add some leather covers soon
it plays soooo much lighter then my Besson 994, much more fun playing solo pieces at home :tuba: It is quite easy to play everything in tune, with a bit of trigger in the lower register.
Now I just need to learn the fingerings and train my ears. While I am learning I have some music written for horn in F, which is transposed and written in treble clef, so I can use the fingerings I am used to, but the goal is to learn F fingers and read bass clef C parts (like the rest of the tuba world)
These users thanked the author BramJ for the post (total 6):
bloke (Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:15 am) • Ace (Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:16 am) • the elephant (Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:56 am) • Estubist (Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:00 pm) • C J (Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:36 pm) and one more user

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: New tuba day! Start of my F-tuba journey

Post by bloke »

Have fun...

I'm a "weirdo" (American slang: "induce a sense of disbelief or alienation in someone"), but - even though I don't play F the most, anymore - its the length of tuba whereby I do my best "sight-reading" (play the most things correctly, the first time through).

You'll really enjoy it.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Congratulations- hope you have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Nice MTS trigger!
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

Awesome! You’re going to love the F. :tuba:
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
C J

Post by C J »

gefeliciteerd,

Nice tuba, but please leave the dutch disease of transposed parts behind, mainly because all the literature is written in C.

Groeten vanuit Zeijen
My tubas equal 3288
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Nice! Congratulations!
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

Thx all!
Dents Be Gone! wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:28 pm Congrats! Looks really nice! Whomever did the work and modifications on it did a nice and very clean job. :cheers:
arpthark wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:21 pm Nice MTS trigger!
Not sure what I can share, so I'll keep it abstract, but I know the builder/seller used to work for a major tuba manufacturer
These users thanked the author BramJ for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:41 am)
hubert
Has thanked: 0

Post by hubert »

Hello Bram,
Where did I see this tuba before??? :cheers: :cheers:
I am very glad you are happy with it. Wish you all the best with practice of transpositions.
Au revoir,
Hubert
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

Aha, hello Hubert! you are also here!

For the other here: it was Hubert that picked up this nice Tuba for me in Germany
hubert
Has thanked: 0

Post by hubert »

The work was done by Araik Rubinyan. He is originally from Armenia, but is working already for years in Germany. He is a fine craftsman, who a.o. was employed for several years by Miraphone. Nowadays he is at Musikhaus Mollenhauer in Fulda (Germany). He combines this trade with working as a free lance professional tubaplayer.
Best,
Hubert
These users thanked the author hubert for the post:
BramJ (Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:41 pm)