Eastman 836 CC for sale - 7500

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
arpthark

Re: Eastman 836 CC for sale - 7500

Post by arpthark »

Former Lexingtonian here. Great price! Good luck with the sale.

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Everyone knows that I'm not in the market (and has/have grown weary of me stating it), but the pricing makes me shake my head, "yes".

It's neither unrealistically high nor some no-brainer/even-bloke-would-buy-it-at-that-price type cheating-oneself type of price.

It looks to me like you've priced it at what it's worth, and to SELL.

(That's my strategy, which - I believe - is why I'm successful at selling stuff.) :thumbsup:
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I do see them advertised for those higher prices, but I don't think we ever know what they actually sell for. Sellers just mark their instruments as sold, and never go back and say, "well, somebody offered me so-and-so, and I took it". I'm not a dealer, so I'm not concerned about the used market on this make, other than noticing when people advertise prices that I think will motivate buyers (as - again - they are following my own strategy). On craigslist, I'm always seeing these "intermediate" name-brand trombones being advertised for prices close to what they paid at their local music stores on their rent-to-purchase-conversion-over-to-step-up deals (a breathtakingly bad way to purchase instruments), and we all know that those ads are just going to sit there.

To me, putting up prices that are really close to retail or a couple thousand dollars too high just prompts a whole bunch of people too scroll past an ad, and just slows down the selling process.

Trying to do a little bit of research before I sell my vintage bass and amp (which are "vintage" because I am old, but they are also "vintage" because they are good), what I don't want to do is put some sort of price on them that causes everyone to scroll past the ad, not end up selling them, and then everyone noticing later that they are relisted at a lower price. Everyone will remember the previous ad, notice that the price is much lower, and then they'll start to think of this equipment is something that the owner is having a hard time selling, wonder what might be wrong with it, etc... When selling things, sellers don't need potential buyers to be thinking negative things of any sort. All buyer thoughts - hopefully - are positive, if not somewhat excited - and with their imagination having been captured.

I do see quite a few of these for sale used, and I don't know how that affects the used pricing of these, because I don't know how many potential buyers of them exist as compared to hopeful sellers. I also know that most things we buy - day-to-day - now cost near or more than double what they cost three years ago, but I also don't know how this affects the pricing of things that are not necessities. It seems to me that non-essentials - which cost thousands of dollars - haven't kept up - price wise - with the 100% inflation that we have experienced on essentials such as food and fuel.

Were I interested in one of these, I would probably call up the seller, because I do recall that - unless I'm remembering wrong - the first person who ever bought one of them paid $7,500 (pre-hyperinflation on food/fuel et al), other early buyers may have paid about a thousand more, most of those were silver, and I'm thinking (yes?) that this one is lacquer - which would appeal to me personally a lot more, and it looks to be in pretty good shape. As a side comment about digital pictures, almost all the pictures that I take of used instruments that I have for sale look better than the instruments actually look, and I always have to warn potential buyers that the pictures don't show all the little close-up scratches and things. As many pixels as there are in these pictures, they just don't show as much as did film photographs.
sugawi

Post by sugawi »

I’m really interested but I’m on the west coast… :huh:
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yes. I'm being really nice by complimenting the seller's well-considered pricing, stating that the pictures look like the instrument is in good condition, and features the most practical finish. I'm familiar with M.A.P. pricing, and understand what is allowed and what is not re. M.A.P.

I would wonder if this instrument might already be sold. :thumbsup:
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

My silver, 1st model year one, went for 8500 in literally 30 seconds after I posted on Facebook. It was not pristine, but very good.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Just to review and reemphasize, the one that's for sale features clear lacquer, correct?

For those who are more interested in playing and less interested in polishing - in addition to a lower original acquisition price, which apparently is transferring to a lower resale price - this seems like a great choice.

Also, goofs are MUCH easier to blend back in on a lacquered instrument, as are customizations...
...I don't know anyone who's never (at least, slightly) goofed up a tuba.
I spent at least a couple dozen hours customizing my fairly-recently-acquired LACQUER finish 6/4, and - when there's even more time available - I'm going to shine up all of those altered places, clean off the buffing residue, mask, and shoot those places with clear.
dp

Post by dp »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:36 am Let’s be nice and just wish this seller good luck
These users thanked the author dp for the post:
bloke (Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:51 pm)
pfft (yes, that's for you)
wgw327
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by wgw327 »

Hey! I'm looking for a horn. Is this one still for sale?