Name a BBb that:

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Name a BBb that:

Post by bloke »

bloke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:32 pm ... nice sonority: because you are demonstrating for students.
If you've been paying attention to repairs and modifications, you know there's a really talented frankentuba person on this list who has put together some really nice 4+1 4/4 32-in tall 19-inch bell York B-Flats. They may have an 18-in bell one which is rare, so I'm not so sure that they'd be willing to turn loose of that particular one. They have not advertised any of them for sale.

Truth be told, I might sell my Holton, which is virtually the same thing. The Holton and York instruments' bells and bows were so very similar that some people suspect or wonder whether they were both made in the same plant. If I sell my Holton, there are just a couple of little things that I want to do a little bit better before I sell it. After all, it has my initials on it. :teeth:
I don't have a bag for it, but it has it in a new condition MTS molded case that is only 40 inches long - including the end handle, and - believe it or not -:the bell wings are only 20 inches wide.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

VMI/B&S 3301/2. I’d prefer the 5v model.

Really underrated, imo. I believe they have a 19” bell, though, but they’re high quality and don’t cost you a lot of $$.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Sousaswag wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:37 pm VMI/B&S 3301/2. I’d prefer the 5v model.

Really underrated, imo. I believe they have a 19” bell, though, but they’re high quality and don’t cost you a lot of $$.
I picked up one of those in new condition, and sold it to a brilliant young man who loves playing the tuba and is a great player, but is majoring in something that actually pays well. You might guess correctly that he is Asian.

Those tubas look to me as if they are C tubas which have been made into B-flat tubas, but they play nicely.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, when I worked at brook mays we had those as a house brand. They were really good, but I haven't seen one in years
Yep, I'm Mark
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

I'm digging my Kanstul 900-4B, but I don't know if the issues I've worked through with it were me learning tuba chops or the instrument itself. It wants to sit on the lower end of the pitch, so I find myself lipping a few notes up, especially if I'm in a wind ensemble, which will inevitably start going sharp over time. Took some work to get a good, clean articulation on it, but the low end is also starting to pop out really nicely. Weighs about 30-35 pounds. I kinda like the bolted joints rather than soldered braces; seems to make any repairs easier for a tech. I've been told to not play with them myself, so I leave them be, even if I'm cleaning the horn.

I haven't felt much of a need for a fifth valve. I don't do a lot of orchestral music, but the only real reason I could see a need for it is a low B, but I would just false tone it if I ever felt the need to play the note.

Though, obviously, the horn is discontinued.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

30 to 35# is WAY TOO MUCH for me to be lugging in and out of my schools and my car all day.
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I've never familiarized myself with the Kanstul models, even though I was in a booth adjacent to theirs one year at TMEA.

This looks to be about the size of an old-style King 2341, except with a valve block that appears to be adapted from an E-flat top-action valve block - something similar to a YEB-321 valve block, and with an elongated upper bow (thus: an open space in the lower bugle wrap)...

...It looks interesting...

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Y'all listen to this

Wow

These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
hrender (Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:43 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

bloke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 pm
This looks to be about the size of an old-style King 2341, except with a valve block that appears to be adapted from an E-flat top-action valve block - something similar to a YEB-321 valve block, and with an elongated upper bow (thus: an open space in the lower bugle wrap)...
I think it was based on the Martin Mammoth bugle.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

bloke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 pm I've never familiarized myself with the Kanstul models, even though I was in a booth adjacent to theirs one year at TMEA.

...It looks interesting...

The thing I don’t like about this design is that the brace that goes from the bell to the inside tubing looks way too long! Just doesn’t look sturdy enough to me. One general weakness I’ve noted in some (certainly not all) Kanstul designs is that they seemed to have a “modular” approach whereby they could use the same parts in different configurations. This one looks to me like the bugle section could be used for a marching contra with a differently configured inside section.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
hrender

Post by hrender »

BramJ wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:21 pm Didn't play one, but maybe the Josef Lidl Moldau?

Or the very similar Cerveny Bohemia.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

I would throw my Eastman 562 in for consideration. Not that I am selling it - but just to consider. Mine plays very well. It is 37.5 in tall but worth it to check out.

https://www.eastmanwinds.com/ebb562

Chris Olka liked it
https://youtu.be/fF6GzQx4jWQ?si=IvgYb9UPip609kL4
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Can't remember if I've ever played one of those at a convention. Looks interesting, thanks

It looks rather tall with Chris playing it. How tall is it?
Yep, I'm Mark
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

LeMark wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:18 am Can't remember if I've ever played one of those at a convention. Looks interesting, thanks

I just measured it and it is between 38 and 39 inches. My first measurement was incorrect.

Sorry I thought it was closer to your criteria.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

Everyone already mentioned almost all the models I could've thought of...

But would the Jupiter JTU1110 (Previous JCB-582L) work too?

https://jupitermusic.com/international/ ... s/jtu1110/
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

rodgeman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:43 am
LeMark wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:18 am Can't remember if I've ever played one of those at a convention. Looks interesting, thanks

I just measured it and it is between 38 and 39 inches. My first measurement was incorrect.

Sorry I thought it was closer to your criteria.
It's OK, if you saw the size of some of the practice rooms I teach in, you would understand why I need a compact tuba. I may end up sticking with what I have, and I don't know how much longer I'm going to be playing in the symphony. I've just been out of the B-flat game for so long I'm not really familiar with what's available
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Peeps need FatBastards for simfunnies...but they don't know that they does. :laugh:

@DonO.
I believe that by making the outer/upper bow so tall, they sort-of built themselves into a corner...
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
jtm (Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:08 pm)
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think the bell is 18.5, so close: Miraphone 191.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Mark wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 pm I think the bell is 18.5, so close: Miraphone 191.
I find the intonation of that model to be very challenging
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
bloke (Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:16 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark