Magnets for dent balls

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Tubajug

Re: Magnets for dent balls

Post by Tubajug »

Grumpikins wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:31 pm Thank you LeMark for the amazon link. I chose to buy a fishing magnet by that brand. It is a 250lb pull with a threaded eye that i intend to turn into a handle. The pull is perfect for dent balls.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Would you mind posting the link for that one? I'm interested to see it.

Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Tubajug (Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:46 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

So the magnet and 1.5 inch gauge ball are working fairly well. However I have a few dents that are being stubborn. I was thinking it would be nice if i could hammer them. Maybe I could try using the ball as a hammer. So i set the magnet on the dent, the ball is drawn to it hard. I lift off and repeat. This is working very well on the deep dents. Learning new things all the time.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Grumpikins wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:33 am So the magnet and 1.5 inch gauge ball are working fairly well. However I have a few dents that are being stubborn. I was thinking it would be nice if i could hammer them. Maybe I could try using the ball as a hammer. So i set the magnet on the dent, the ball is drawn to it hard. I lift off and repeat. This is working very well on the deep dents. Learning new things all the time.

Thanks for the update.

Without success I’ve looked for larger steel balls at reasonable prices but have found none. What I have found available are precision ground and dimensioned balls that are understandably expensive, but the job doesn’t need those expensive features. Is it a case of absorb the price or are more reasonably priced alternatives available?
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

What size are you looking for and where are you looking? I found what I thought were very reasonable steel balls on Amazon
Yep, I'm Mark
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

LeMark wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:44 pm What size are you looking for and where are you looking? I found what I thought were very reasonable steel balls on Amazon
I’m in the UK and I looked on eBay and Amazon. It’s some time back that I was looking but the 2” size comes to mind.

With their weight carriage can be expensive and maybe I just wasn’t looking at the right listings. It would be interesting to know what others have used and where they sourced items from.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I don't know if the UK version of Amazon has anything like this, but the Yankee version is full of them. Maybe this will help

For tuba I recommend 1 1/2, 2, 2/12, and 3 inch sizes

(2 Pieces) PGN - 2" Inch Chrome Steel Bearing Balls - G25 Precision https://a.co/d/eoeKnkC
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
2nd tenor (Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:57 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

My employer has been extremely kind and is allowing me to use whatever tools and equipment they have. Prior to that, I was intending to purchase a couple sizes from mc master carr. Prices on gauge balls from them are way more reasonable than ball bearings on Amazon. Here is one that I was looking at,
https://www.mcmaster.com/product/9528K71

Perhaps you have a similar tool source in the UK. Maybe you could find a local machine shop and pay them a visit. At the very least they could give you direction as to where to get what your looking for.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Grumpikins wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:25 am My employer has been extremely kind and is allowing me to use whatever tools and equipment they have. Prior to that, I was intending to purchase a couple sizes from mc master carr. Prices on gauge balls from them are way more reasonable than ball bearings on Amazon. Here is one that I was looking at,

Perhaps you have a similar tool source in the UK. Maybe you could find a local machine shop and pay them a visit. At the very least they could give you direction as to where to get what your looking for.

Unless I'm misreading, it looks like Amazon is $22 for a 2 pack and McMaster is $30 for a single 2" ball.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Really? When I was looking before, it was $86 for the two pack. Or you just found a better deal.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Grumpikins wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 am Really? When I was looking before, it was $86 for the two pack. Or you just found a better deal.

I posted the link above
Yep, I'm Mark
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Grumpikins wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:25 am My employer has been extremely kind and is allowing me to use whatever tools and equipment they have. Prior to that, I was intending to purchase a couple sizes from mc master carr. Prices on gauge balls from them are way more reasonable than ball bearings on Amazon. Here is one that I was looking at,

Thanks for the link. It seems like you’re fortunate with your enlightened employer.

Prices do seem to vary widely for functionally similar items, I guess that it’s a case of shopping around.