What can you tell me about the tuba part for "Finlandia"?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dave Detwiler

What can you tell me about the tuba part for "Finlandia"?

Post by Dave Detwiler »

Hi all - as I continue to research John W. "Jack" Richardson, I have learned that the U. S. Marine Band paid tribute to him on their daily radio program while he was in the hospital in 1938.

The day of the broadcast was July 15, and the program was called "Patriotic Shut Ins Dream Hour," where each number on the program was presumably dedicated to a different "shut in." Richardson was in the Geisinger Memorial Hospital in Danville, PA, where he had been since May 5 that year (see the details below; he was eventually transferred to the Keystone Hospital in Harrisburg, where he passed on August 12, 1939).

The piece that was played in tribute of Richardson was Sibelius's "Finlandia" (confirmed by the program from that day in the archives at the U. S. Marine Band Library, although the news report below calls it "Finland").

What can you tell me about the tuba part of that tone poem?

I've never played it, but giving it a listen, it sounds like a solid, but fairly simple, tuba part. But if you've played it, let me know more about it, and perhaps I can include some of that insight in my article on Richardson.

Thanks so much!

1938-07-15 Danville Morning News.jpg
1938-07-15 Danville Morning News.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 431 times
These users thanked the author Dave Detwiler for the post:
York-aholic (Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 pm)

Played an F. E. Olds 4-valve BBb in high school (late '70s)
Led the USC Trojan Marching Band tuba section (early '80s)
Now playing an F. Schmidt (=VMI) 3301 and goofing around
on a 1925 Pan American Sousaphone and an 1899 Conn tuba!
scottw

Re: What can you tell me about the tuba part for "Finlandia"?

Post by scottw »

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usim ... score).pdf

Here is the orchestral score.
Bearin' up!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've played two different band arrangements of this orchestral work. One arranged by Lucien Cailliet and one arranged by N. Clifford Page. I don't remember a lot about either. They both have the "tuba solo" as does the orchestral version. The solo really isn't a solo, there are other instruments playing it, but as with Meistersinger, it has traditionally been referred to as a tuba solo.
dp

Post by dp »

Dave Detwiler wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:56 am Hi all - as I continue to research John W. "Jack" Richardson, I have learned that the U. S. Marine Band paid tribute to him on their daily radio program while he was in the hospital in 1938. The day of the broadcast was July 15, and the program was called "Patriotic Shut Ins Dream Hour," where each number on the program was presumably dedicated to a different "shut in." Richardson was in the Geisinger Memorial Hospital in Danville, PA, where he had been since May 5 that year (see the details below; he was eventually transferred to the Keystone Hospital in Harrisburg, where he passed on August 12, 1939). The piece that was played in tribute of Richardson was Sibelius's "Finlandia" (confirmed by the program from that day in the archives at the U. S. Marine Band Library, although the news report below calls it "Finland").
What can you tell me about the tuba part of that tone poem?
My gosh,
Richardson was hospitalized with a broken leg in May '38
then transferred to a different hospital where he died 15 months later at...age 64? 65?

:bugeyes:

Oh, the Finlandia theme? Mindfully keep tempo on the front of the beat,
Last edited by dp on Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfft (yes, that's for you)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I forget what note it is, but on the ascending line at the end, people constantly play that Eb or Db or whatever and are super flat. Drives me nuts!!
Dave Detwiler

Post by Dave Detwiler »

dp wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:24 am My gosh,
Richardson was hospitalized with a broken leg in May '38 with a broken leg,
then transferred to a different hospital where he died 15 months later at...age 64? 65?
Actually, according to reports, he broke his leg while IN the hospital in Danville, where he was bring treated for complications from arthritis (although he had experienced a bad fall a few years earlier, which might have led to the awareness of arthritis). He was at some point transferred to a hospital in Harrisburg, where he died, according to his death certificate, of "Carcinoma Spinal Cord." He was 64.

Side note: I'll be meeting with his great nephew this coming Tuesday to see what else I can learn about this once-famous but largely-forgotten tuba player!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I shouldn't post when I don't read the details, but if this was a really long time ago, someone was in the hospital for arthritis, and they broke their leg while they were in the hospital, I wonder if they actually had bone cancer which had not been diagnosed.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

I think it’s been decades since I played the band version, but performed the orchestral version of Finlandia within the last couple of weeks. Tuba is not the “star of the show” ( is it ever?), but it sits well within the tone/timber requirements for a nice contrabass tuba. Dramatic/intense opening, and very nice chorale writing for the brass as well as the every other instrument family. If performed well, definitely will have the audience going home with a nice earworm.

One of the highlights of any Sibelius work is the orchestration. He was a master orchestrator.
These users thanked the author jonesbrass for the post:
York-aholic (Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:50 pm)
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Finlandia lot of tuba horsepower for not much gratification, but if there's a gig I'll play it.
If all paying gigs disappeared, I probably still play. :red:
Dave Detwiler

Post by Dave Detwiler »

bloke wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:51 pm I shouldn't post when I don't read the details, but if this was a really long time ago, someone was in the hospital for arthritis, and they broke their leg while they were in the hospital, I wonder if they actually had bone cancer which had not been diagnosed.
You may be right, as his ultimate cause of death was "Carcinoma Spinal Cord," so he was dealing with cancer, for sure.