I appreciate you guys.

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
bloke
Mid South Music

I appreciate you guys.

Post by bloke »

I asked a simple question on a saxophone forum.
For the first couple of replies, it was the same as here (where no one knew the answer to my question, but everyone wanted to talk "about" the question), but - very soon - they all started trying to demonstrate which one of them had the longest thing in their pants, rather than - at least - talking about the question I asked.

Their replies soon became so idiotic, that I deleted my original post/inquiry (though no one was actually attacking me).

It seems to me that tuba players are different from others in that - even when there's four of them playing in a band section - no one's trying to demonstrate their prowess, and everyone's trying to keep good time and tuning, and working keep the band's pulse going.

I suspect that one of the reasons I go here by default is that I don't see other tuba players otherwise, because - where I work - it's usually just me...and all I get to hang out with is bone players.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
rodgeman (Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:57 am) • prairieboy1 (Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:41 am)

Grumpikins

Re: I appreciate you guys.

Post by Grumpikins »

Agreed. Most of the time, Tuba players are a different breed. Kind, supportive, mellow. It's what we do down on the bottom of the pile.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Trombones are second best, next to us :cheers:
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

It’s the low vibrations that we’re exposed to when playing. Mellows people out…
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

How do you make a tenor sax? Put two fivers together.
:eyes:
These users thanked the author martyneilan for the post:
Doc (Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:14 pm)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

What is the definition of a gentleman? Someone who knows how to play a saxophone, but chooses not to. :laugh:
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
York-aholic (Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:41 pm)
hrender

Post by hrender »

There was some ancient "guide to" thing that characterized the personality types of different instrumentalists. The only thing I remember about it was the description of tuba players which was something like "always carries a small set of tools" and "most likely to make friends with the stage manager." I always liked that, even though my "small set of tools" is usually just a Leatherman or swiss army knife.
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

hrender wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:03 am There was some ancient "guide to" thing that characterized the personality types of different instrumentalists. The only thing I remember about it was the description of tuba players which was something like "always carries a small set of tools" and "most likely to make friends with the stage manager." I always liked that, even though my "small set of tools" is usually just a Leatherman or swiss army knife.
I don't like what I'm becoming... :bugeyes:
- I now carry a chair (custom-adapted collapsible-to-flat keyboard bench), because - to play the Miraphone 98 - it's incredibly comfortable to (turning it 90 degrees from the intended way) sit on the back half and rest [that particular instrument] on the front half...and not a "locked in" position - as with any of the tuba playing stands.
- I ALSO now stuff (albeit it's one of those TINY little later-vintage Miraphone cordura-nylon only 6-7 inches long thingies) a small zipper pouch in the case which includes a metric screwdriver (Miraphone/Minibal small link screws size), a flat-bladed screwdriver, a small rawhide mallet, oil, mouthpiece-in-pouch, a razor, and toothbrush...(well...These days I mostly play well more than an hour away from home, and - often - over two or three days).

bloke "I always associated stuff-bringers as nerdy...but - maybe - I'm realizing that nerds are who make the world go 'round...??"
hrender

Post by hrender »

bloke wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:03 am bloke "I always associated stuff-bringers as nerdy...but - maybe - I'm realizing that nerds are who make the world go 'round...??"
Everyone below the C-level knows that it's the nerds that keep most organizations running.

These users thanked the author hrender for the post (total 3):
bloke (Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:51 am) • rodgeman (Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:58 am) • MN_TimTuba (Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:15 pm)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

bloke wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:03 am
hrender wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:03 am There was some ancient "guide to" thing that characterized the personality types of different instrumentalists. The only thing I remember about it was the description of tuba players which was something like "always carries a small set of tools" and "most likely to make friends with the stage manager." I always liked that, even though my "small set of tools" is usually just a Leatherman or swiss army knife.
I don't like what I'm becoming... :bugeyes:
- I now carry a chair (custom-adapted collapsible-to-flat keyboard bench), because - to play the Miraphone 98 - it's incredibly comfortable to (turning it 90 degrees from the intended way) sit on the back half and rest [that particular instrument] on the front half...and not a "locked in" position - as with any of the tuba playing stands.
- I ALSO now stuff (albeit it's one of those TINY little later-vintage Miraphone cordura-nylon only 6-7 inches long thingies) a small zipper pouch in the case which includes a metric screwdriver (Miraphone/Minibal small link screws size), a flat-bladed screwdriver, a small rawhide mallet, oil, mouthpiece-in-pouch, a razor, and toothbrush...(well...These days I mostly play well more than an hour away from home, and - often - over two or three days).

bloke "I always associated stuff-bringers as nerdy...but - maybe - I'm realizing that nerds are who make the world go 'round...??"
I remember, and I’m sure you guys do too, when Miraphone included that little bag of stuff that included a rawhide mallet. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out what it was for except to use in disassembling the valves. That means they expected players to take valves apart and service them themselves. When I was I young lad I bought into that. My Meinl Weston 25, purchased used, came with no tools. It took a lot of trial and error to find a screwdriver with a thin enough blade to fit the screw that held the linkage to the valve stem. Somehow I got hold of a set of directions on how to do it (written by Harvey Phillips, maybe?). So I carefully used that special screwdriver to take off the linkage arm, unscrewed the bottom valve cap, whacked the valve stem with a rubber mallet (didn’t have rawhide), and popped the valve out into my hand. Then cleaned everything with soap and water, rinsed well, air dried, oiled, and re-assembled. Getting the bearing plate oriented correctly was the trickiest part. Did this several limes when I owned that horn. Looking back, I can’t believe I did all that without royally screwing something up. I would never do that myself now, having gained the wisdom that comes with age.

I remembered all of this just because bloke mentioned the rawhide mallet. I’m trying to think, why in the world would you want to take one with you on a playing gig? Would you actually imagine a scenario where you might have to disassemble a valve while on a gig trip?
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

DonO. wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:05 am I remembered all of this just because bloke mentioned the rawhide mallet. I’m trying to think, why in the world would you want to take one with you on a playing gig? Would you actually imagine a scenario where you might have to disassemble a valve while on a gig trip?
Easy -- to whack errant violists in the head when they start to act up.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'd rather use my own least favorite rawhide mallet than scrounge some backstage chunk of wood to beat with (to remove a rotor that just wouldn't be coaxed back into turning again), if suddenly one of my rotors seized at a rehearsal or - God forbid - a concert.