ITEC 2025

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bisontuba

ITEC 2025

Post by bisontuba »

📣 ANNOUNCEMENT 📣

ITEA announces the 51st ITEC will be held in Spain in 2025 hosted by the Asociación Española de Tubas y Bombardinos - AETYB!

This amazing event will bring together participants from all around the globe to celebrate the tuba and euphonium coupled with the warm hospitality and camaraderie of Spain!

AETYB President Pablo M. Fernández says, “This is a historical moment for the Spanish Tuba and Euphonium community and a recognition for all of us who have been working for AETYB since its creation."

Learn more at https://iteaonline.org/news/itec-2025/
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
rodgeman (Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:55 pm)

bort2.0

Re: ITEC 2025

Post by bort2.0 »

I wonder where specifically in Spain it will occur. It's a big place.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Wish they would hold the large convention every year if they are going to alternate locations where less than 1% of ITEA members live.

I love Europe, but come on

I guess I'll see you all at the 2027 ITEC.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 3):
bisontuba (Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:25 pm) • rodgeman (Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:54 pm) • Mark (Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:08 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post (total 3):
LeMark (Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:45 pm) • rodgeman (Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:54 pm) • Mark (Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:08 pm)
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Dents Be Gone! wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:38 pm For a musical organization, they sure are tone deaf to their actual membership. Although, the inner circle is surely thrilled.
The one this year was in my area. However, with all the costs, and looking at membership it was too much. I don't feel it is worth it to me. The organization seems to not value anyone who isn't a professional, or a teacher, or a music performance student. I think there are more amateur tubists playing in community or local bands that seem to be ignored by ITEA.

At one point I was a music education major after I had made the cut for the Marine Corp Music program. Unfortunately I did not make it through boot camp and did not become a Marine. My career took a different turn based on making a living and being able to support myself.I went into Information Systems which allows me to be able to play and afford a new tuba. Maybe that is a luxury.

At the time it was in Tempe I was in the market for a new horn and almost went just to try different makers but the cost was just too high. I wish them well but would like an organization that at least recognizes and encourages more amateur players.

My other hobbies groups at least acknowledge this.
These users thanked the author rodgeman for the post (total 3):
LeMark (Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:31 pm) • graybach (Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:04 pm) • Dents Be Gone! (Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:45 am)
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I've been a tuba euphonium teacher for 35 years, and even I have a hard time finding anything at the conventions that interest me into going

I had a plan to fly in to Phoenix this year, stay at the hotel in campus, and fly out. Then the schedule came out, and it was all so meh that I cancelled my plans
Yep, I'm Mark
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

bisontuba wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:45 pm 📣 ANNOUNCEMENT 📣

ITEA announces the 51st ITEC will be held in Spain in 2025 hosted by the Asociación Española de Tubas y Bombardinos - AETYB!

This amazing event will bring together participants from all around the globe to celebrate the tuba and euphonium coupled with the warm hospitality and camaraderie of Spain!

AETYB President Pablo M. Fernández says, “This is a historical moment for the Spanish Tuba and Euphonium community and a recognition for all of us who have been working for AETYB since its creation."

Learn more at https://iteaonline.org/news/itec-2025/
If it doesn’t have 11 sessions on diversity and inclusion I’m not interested. Also, I want to only speak English and have no trouble communicating or I’m not interested. Lastly, can there be a sub-conference for all the college professors who need to present something in the hopes of getting tenure?
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
graybach (Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:05 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Okay, so the I.T.E.C. conference is going to be in Spain, but what about the T.U.B.A. conference; where is it going to be held?
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
graybach (Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:06 pm) • Jperry1466 (Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:51 pm)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:52 pm Okay, so the I.T.E.C. conference is going to be in Spain, but what about the T.U.B.A. conference; where is it going to be held?
Should maybe be at your place, Joe. No speakers, just good chow and beverage, and play-testing each other's horns, followed by opinions, tall tales, and outright lies. A little fishing for bass or catfish after supper. I'll bring the chicken gizzards.
Tim
These users thanked the author MN_TimTuba for the post (total 4):
graybach (Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:21 pm) • bloke (Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:03 am) • Mary Ann (Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:31 pm) • UncleBeer (Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:45 am)
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
matt g

Post by matt g »

No surprise. Spain is pretty cheap and ITEA probably needs to hit Europe with some frequency.

It’s clearly an academic conference. Like @bloke points out, the amateurs, enthusiasts, and pros who actually place other pros who don’t get on the agenda should band together and create some other org if peeps wanna have something like the old TUBA deal again. The TUSAB is a nice event, but something either more central or that bounces around some would probably work out.

It’s not going to be free, however.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I can easily host a conference at my (rather large) church in Arlington TX for minimal cost. I think the hardest part would be to get a proper elephant room going. Not sure many manufacturers would show up to a startup event
Yep, I'm Mark
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

bloke wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:52 pm Okay, so the I.T.E.C. conference is going to be in Spain, but what about the T.U.B.A. conference; where is it going to be held?
it'll be held in 1992
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
graybach (Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:44 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

kingrob76 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:52 pm
it'll be held in 1992
I spent a whole year there, it was nice! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

LeMark wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:09 pm I can easily host a conference at my (rather large) church in Arlington TX for minimal cost. I think the hardest part would be to get a proper elephant room going. Not sure many manufacturers would show up to a startup event
The thing is, I think more amateurs who have had other, more lucrative careers, buy more new top of the line instruments than anybody else. You'd THINK they would figure this out, and make the conferences more friendly to those people. I see the whole range with extremely high level instruments -- of course there are the pros who basically have to have them, depending on circumstances (and they may not have gotten them new or even are paying for them, themselves. Old instruments are much more popular in the tuba world than other brasses, methinks.) Then there are the aspiring pros / college pro-hopefuls who need to keep up; there are the pro-ams who can really appreciate a fine instrument and it matters to them; and there are the amateurs who can tell the difference and can afford something nice, whether or not they can make it go. I'm in the latter category -- I made it to pro-am on horn before dystonia, and will not make it there on tuba, although I still appreciate quality and can afford to keep those makers in business with my small buying contributions. I fully appreciate an instrument that is playable in tune without drastic manipulations of slides, and one that responds without having to be hit with a jackhammer.

If TUBA is not still copyrighted / trademarked, just start it up again as a differetly focused conference that is affordable. I'd go!!
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
rodgeman (Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:54 pm) • graybach (Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:01 pm)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

despite leaving off the word euphonium from the title of this group (I went out of my to include one in the logo) I would want to be sure that Euphonium players know they are welcome and included here
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Euphonium is a universal tuba, a brother, and an associate.

Admittedly, euphonium is a masculine noun, but it is widely acknowledged that they exist in several colors.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
sweaty (Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm)