Why is it that..

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
DonO.

Why is it that..

Post by DonO. »

1. You search for “tuba” in FleaBay and you see pretty much the same horns in “Most Recent” as you do in “Ending Soonest”, simultaneously?

2. You very specifically search for “tuba” in Facebook Marketplace, and shows you all kinds of “Not Tuba” stuff like trumpets, trombones, guitars, amps, schnozzle-phones, etc.,etc., etc? Even bath tubs! (I guess three out of four letters is close enough). :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
The Big Ben

Re: Why is it that..

Post by The Big Ben »

Life can be a mystery...
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

The Big Ben wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:58 pm Life can be a mystery...
I actually think #1 is evidence of a disturbance in the space-time continuum.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Daylight savings time
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

For the exact same reason why, if you buy or even look at, a gizmo anywhere online, you will get ads for that gizmo for the entire rest of your life. Until of course, you look at another gizmo.
C J

Post by C J »

DonO. wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:52 pm
2. You very specifically search for “tuba” in Facebook Marketplace, and shows you all kinds of “Not Tuba” stuff like trumpets, trombones, guitars, amps, schnozzle-phones, etc.,etc., etc? Even bath tubs! (I guess three out of four letters is close enough). :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That is AI at work, it knows all the things in the world that wanted to be a Tuba but have failed. So it assumes that all of those things strive to be a tuba and maybe one day succeeds.
These users thanked the author C J for the post:
Mary Ann (Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:43 am)
My tubas equal 3288
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

I own the only Carl Fischer National model Eb tuba in the world. (Go ahead, prove me wrong; I double-dog dare you.) Anyway, when I bought it, I got it from a seller on Ebay who happened to live in the same city as me. Before I went to look at it, I decided to do some comparison shopping for that same model online. I found close to a dozen listings in a ridiculous range of prices. Every single listing had the same pictures of my tuba. It had distinctive bell damage and repair, and every picture had the same views as were posted by the original seller.

After I bought it and the seller removed the listing, the bogus offers began to gradually disappear. My assumption is that people listed my tuba at a bloated price, intending to quickly buy it from the original seller, and have it shipped to whatever shill they could con.

For awhile, every picture of a Carl Fischer National Eb tuba online--even just non-vendor images, was a picture of mine. Now, the pictures are gone.
These users thanked the author acemorgan for the post:
humBell (Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:05 am)
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
tclements
Has thanked: 0

Post by tclements »

There are 38,965,193 people living in California, and we can't get a White Castle???
dp

Post by dp »

DonO. wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:52 pm 1. You search for “tuba” in FleaBay and you see pretty much the same horns in “Most Recent” as you do in “Ending Soonest”, simultaneously?
2. You very specifically search for “tuba” in Facebook Marketplace, and shows you all kinds of “Not Tuba” stuff like trumpets, trombones, guitars, amps, schnozzle-phones, etc.,etc., etc? Even bath tubs! (I guess three out of four letters is close enough).
shabby code
pfft (yes, that's for you)
matt g

Post by matt g »

What’s the proximity of the “s” key to the “a” key on the keyboard? What are the chances that someone is fumbling with the keyboard while typing? And both ways “tuba” and “tubs” are legitimate searches in eBay…

So the parsing algorithm allows for these errors from keyboard stuff or just misspelling so that people still get returns that are something along the lines of what they want without getting overly frustrated. It’s all UI/UX design.

So yeah, it also returns stuff you don’t want. Can’t win em all.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...so many people are talked into believing so many things that obviously aren't so ?
humBell

Post by humBell »

acemorgan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:24 pm I own the only Carl Fischer National model Eb tuba in the world. (Go ahead, prove me wrong; I double-dog dare you.) Anyway, when I bought it, I got it from a seller on Ebay who happened to live in the same city as me. Before I went to look at it, I decided to do some comparison shopping for that same model online. I found close to a dozen listings in a ridiculous range of prices. Every single listing had the same pictures of my tuba. It had distinctive bell damage and repair, and every picture had the same views as were posted by the original seller.

After I bought it and the seller removed the listing, the bogus offers began to gradually disappear. My assumption is that people listed my tuba at a bloated price, intending to quickly buy it from the original seller, and have it shipped to whatever shill they could con.

For awhile, every picture of a Carl Fischer National Eb tuba online--even just non-vendor images, was a picture of mine. Now, the pictures are gone.
I been meanin' to ask how that Carl Fischer is treating ya?

It was one of the satisfying moments where maybe i was a little helpful responding in the WTB forum. I did in fact end up with (one of) the other options listed on ebay at the time, also a Carl Fischer, but the "American Model" which others have pegged as a Pan Am tuba (though perhaps one of those that for some inexplicable reason turns out better (or at least easier) than the corresponding Conns). "Reliable" Carl Fischer (extrapolating form maybe 2 or 3 data points?) seem to be Czech imports?

And Carl Fischer at some point was the sole agent for Besson, like this one viewtopic.php?p=48865 if the old bell engravings tell true...

PS for those too lazy to dive a couple of links into it, apparently the picture from the ebay listing of my American Model is still valid?!

(Ain't it perty? Slowly workin' back to that patina...)
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
arpthark (Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:42 am)
"All art is one." -Hal
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Carl Fischer never made a tuba, of course, but they sold lots of them. Some had their own branding, some had branding they owned, and some had the manufacturer's branding. Only the latter can be identified by the label.

Famously, they owned the York Band Instrument Company from 1940 to 1971. The old Grand Rapids factory made student lines in the years following the war, but York-branded instruments with more professional aspirations were made by Böhm & Meinl or by (dim memory concerning the small top-action York Masters) de Prins. I'm sure that Carl Fischer bought instruments from Amati/Cerveny in later years when they were still stenciling imports with their own brands, just as other companies like Giardinelli (among many others) branded tubas made by B&S. American companies took advantage of the low prices of instruments made in Communist countries who were desperate in the 70's for foreign capital.

As to "National" versus "American" sub-branding, my bet is that whatever word they used is the opposite of the truth, because it was that truth they were trying to hide. Meaning: "National" and "American" were probably not made in America, at least after WWII. Prior to WWII, it's more likely they were made in America because the alternatives were much more difficult to import.

Rick "much ado about nothing" Denney
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Designed by French technicians.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

bloke wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 am Designed by French technicians.
So very sorry, but I just can’t resist. :cheers:

From Horn-u-Copia:
Petrus De Prins Established his Firm in Borgerhout Antwerpen.

DePrins Logo During the first World War production was stopped. In 1918 De Prins sons Karel, Gustaaf and Louis started up the firm again as Gebroeders (brothers) De Prins and they continued into the 1950s. Pre WWI horns from DePrins are engraved DEPRINS and post WWI Horns are engraved DEPRINS Gebr. or DePrins Freres.

imported by Walter Sear, NYWalter Sear was involved in the design of the instrument

In the 1980s, DePrins stopped producing Brass instruments. They were all handmade and they could not compete with automated firms. They kept their Musical Instrument shop for another 10 years. The biggest part of their factory inventory is now in a small museum Called "Museum van het ambacht, Gebroeders de Prins" (trans. Museum of handicraft, Brothers De Prins) in the town of Wommelgem near Antwerpen in Belgium.
These users thanked the author MikeS for the post:
peterbas (Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:09 pm)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 am Designed by French technicians.

Blake