The best...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
martyneilan

The best...

Post by martyneilan »

This could be an interesting exercise to see what other people write, keeping things generic and not specific to brands/models:

The best...

CC tuba is a BBb
F tuba is a 3/4 CC
6/4 tuba is a 5/4
Lacquer is unlacquered
Bydlo tuba is a euphonium
Sousaphone is a recording bell tuba
Recording bell tuba is a sousaphone :teeth:

Mary Ann

Re: The best...

Post by Mary Ann »

The best F tuba is an Eb
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
martyneilan (Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:51 am)
donn

Post by donn »

I can't easily think of anything that's "the best" - tubas, varieties of avocado, science fiction authors, cities, parcel deliveries, car tires, moscatels de Setúbal, ways to prepare mackerel, ... maybe it's just that my means have been too limited to arrive at that level, but I have a hunch it's a futile pursuit.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
martyneilan (Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am)
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

donn wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:35 am but I have a hunch it's a futile pursuit.
Ah, now you are getting the point of this post... :smilie8:
Still interesting to see the answers :tuba:
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Kenny Bania approves! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Most F tubas sorta or really suck, which is why I don't own most F tubas.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
jtm (Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:10 am)
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

The best...

CC tuba is a Mirafone 188
BBb tuba is a Mirafone 188
F tuba is a Mirafone 185, 184, 180, or a early 1980's PT-10
6/4 tuba is a Mirafone 188
Nobody can hear the difference between lacquer, unlacquered, or silver-plated
Bydlo tuba is a Cerveny 601 CC just because it was my only horn for a very long time. I won an orchestra audition playing Bydlo on that horn, came in runner-up in another orchestra playing Bydlo on that horn, and was offered a graduate assistantship a very long time ago from a very well-known professor playing all the major F tuba rep on that horn during a masterclass.
All 6/4 tubas are lap Sousaphone
Recording bell tuba is cool and needs to make a comeback in all major symphony orchestras
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
prairieboy1 (Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:26 pm)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
GC

Post by GC »

Eb tubas are the best tubas because that's all I own.

My orange cat is a dog because he comes when I call him and plays fetch.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

I was going to say the best small F tuba is a big euph but then I remembered that all the small F tubas I've played have been some of the best playing F tubas I've played. 🤣 Yamaha 621, Cerveny 653 (awesome tuba!), Rusk York F, both small MWs,...
andycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by andycat »

The best Tuba parts exist in the Brass Band repertoire
These users thanked the author andycat for the post (total 5):
prairieboy1 (Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:32 am) • Doc (Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:56 am) • Oedipoes (Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:51 am) • BramJ (Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:44 am) • graybach (Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:58 pm)
Andy Cattanach, UK
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/user/acattanach72/videos[/youtube]
Foden's Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2022), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, M+B 1.5BT Mouthpieces.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

martyneilan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am This could be an interesting exercise to see what other people write, keeping things generic and not specific to brands/models:

The best...

CC tuba is a BBb :thumbsup:
F tuba is a 3/4 CC the original version of one particular make/style
6/4 tuba is a 5/4 BBb
Nitrocellulose Lacquer is eventually unlacquered
Bydlo tuba is a euphonium :thumbsup: *(and the smaller the better)
For all practical purposes,
I own a huge euphonium, but I continue to hold onto my old beat-up bought-for-a-song Yamaha YEP-321 (with a standard-shank Schilke 51 mpc. in the case) for REALLY high stuff OBVIOUSLY written for something smaller than either a contrabass or bass tuba.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
martyneilan (Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:43 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

martyneilan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am This could be an interesting exercise to see what other people write, keeping things generic and not specific to brands/models:

The best...

CC tuba is a BBb
F tuba is a 3/4 CC
6/4 tuba is a 5/4
Lacquer is unlacquered
Bydlo tuba is a euphonium
The best...

CC tuba is a BBb - unless it’s the blokespecial 186*

F tuba is a 3/4 CC - unless it’s a really great F (or an Eb, although I think of Eb as mostly its own category depending on application)

6/4 tuba is a 5/4 - often true, but a good 6/4 BBb has its place

Lacquer is unlacquered - lacquer is my first choice, but the finish is not very high (if at all) on my list of priorities when choosing an instrument

Bydlo tuba is a euphonium - No argument, although my preference would be an Alex tenor tuba or rotary oval baritone, as those might be more appropriate regarding the desired sound - euph always has a round, pretty sound. I played it on an Alex F tuba, and that was about as close as I could get. Of course, that was what I had available. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sousaphone is a recording bell tuba - give me a helicon

Recording bell tuba is a sousaphone - close enough; if I want to stroll, I’ll use the helicon

*Unfortunately, all the work I had for the 186 dried up. And changes in my job almost two years ago has put a serious damper on playing gigs of any kind. I’m not sure I would want to ever sell it, but outside of some home practice, it has been collecting dust. I might, however, consider trading it back to @bloke for both the Holton 345 and Besson comp BBb, for which I might have actual use. Or not.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
martyneilan (Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:11 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
donn

Post by donn »

Doc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:39 am Recording bell tuba is a sousaphone - close enough; if I want to stroll, I’ll use the helicon
Don't you have a problem mowing down the unwary fellow stroller who comes up on your left?

I liked playing a helicon somewhat, particularly the F that was not circular and therefore set in place with no hands, but never had one with a leadpipe such that the mouthpiece naturally reached my mouth, and never heard of a BBb that wasn't circular.

Show me a non-circular kaiser BBb helicon with at least 4 valves and a custom leadpipe, that you can play sitting down in an ordinary chair if necessary, and that doesn't stick out too far on the left (probably, = not a sousaphone with a straight bell grafted on.) Maybe that's the best.
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BRS for the post (total 3):
bloke (Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:00 am) • Doc (Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 pm) • jtm (Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:35 pm)
Doc

Post by Doc »

donn wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:53 am
Doc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:39 am Recording bell tuba is a sousaphone - close enough; if I want to stroll, I’ll use the helicon
Don't you have a problem mowing down the unwary fellow stroller who comes up on your left?
Not at all. They should stay in their own lane. I am careful to stay in mine. If they can’t hear me or see me (how could you miss me???), I have no remorse for their dumb ass. 🤣😎
I liked playing a helicon somewhat, particularly the F that was not circular and therefore set in place with no hands, but never had one with a leadpipe such that the mouthpiece naturally reached my mouth, and never heard of a BBb that wasn't circular.
I don’t have much problem with my Eb helicon, but I recently tried the Wessex BBb helicon, and I had real problem getting the leadpipe to reach adequately. I had much greater luck with the Cerveny BBb helicon when I tried one years ago.
Show me a non-circular kaiser BBb helicon with at least 4 valves and a custom leadpipe, that you can play sitting down in an ordinary chair if necessary, and that doesn't stick out too far on the left (probably, = not a sousaphone with a straight bell grafted on.) Maybe that's the best.
I’m not sure that particular set of variables exists in any BBb model (some old German designs come close), but I think you’re onto something. 👍🏼
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
hbcrandy

Post by hbcrandy »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:08 am The best F tuba is an Eb
I agree 100%!!!! I played Eb tuba as my bass tuba for 43 years, ever since Paul Krzywicki brought 3 of Yamaha's early Eb tubas back from a tour of Japan. It sounds more like a tuba than some of the German rotary valved F tubas did and was much less expensive. My contrabass tuba was a CC tuba of one kind or another.
Randy Harrison
Retired Proprietor, Harrison Brass
Retired Instructor of Applied Brass Performance,
Maryland Conservatory of Music