WTB: CC tuba max $8k

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: WTB: CC tuba max $8k

Post by bloke »

It could be me. I've had to push those longer slides all the way in, and - when I owned an early 88 with a normal looking slide - I didn't have to pull it out very far for good tuning. I've actually flipped a few of those long tuning slide 88 instruments and have been tempted to shorten the main slides - because the tuning gave me trouble with them, but I ended up shrugging my shoulders, sending them off to the buyers, and got no complaints. I believe I've seen "443" used with a lot of Miraphone advertising on a lot of models, even though I'm seeing pictures posted of two different slides... and of course I've had both lengths of slides in my own hands.

My mind is now trying to imagine different types of uses for the same popular model of tuba. It seems to me that community bands play a bunch of concerts outdoors in the summer, whereas orchestras and such play most of their concerts in the fall, winter, and spring indoors. If I had a tuba with a main slide that just barely played to pitch pushed all the way in, I would find that to be a problem. Even sitting in a hall in February through a movement or two and waiting to play again causes the instrument to cool - particularly in drafty concert halls in the winter, unless I continually mess with an instrument to the point of distracting the audience. The model 98 B flat main slide was shipped with fairly long ferrules and I shortened them roughly an inch a piece. It was a fairly complicated job, being that it's an inside/outside slide and includes a brace.
... so I'm wondering about the mostly wintertime concerts versus the mostly summertime outdoors concerts. I also wonder if I'm one of those that tends to play tubas at an overall lower pitch level than some people. Yes, of course I have tendencies to play out of tune and sharp (just as with most everyone else, if we're all honest) but I'm talking about the median.

summary:
Striving for 440 tuning, I've never had trouble with the normal looking model 88 slides, and the long ones always give me trouble, but whatever.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

' never said they weren't consistent.
Due to how many people tend to handle instruments - combined with past repairs, I tend to find that replaced or alternate-supplied horizontal main slides on rotary instruments typically need to be hand fit...
... but my topic is that I have trouble playing model 88 tubas up to pitch with those longer main slides, and not whether Miraphone parts fit Miraphone instruments.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

@bort2.0, check the old forum. There is a Nirschl 4/4 listed for $9500… I know, out of your budget, but just sending it in case somehow you could swing it!
These users thanked the author Sousaswag for the post:
bort2.0 (Wed May 01, 2024 12:06 pm)
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

These users thanked the author arpthark for the post: