C4 vs TU23

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

C4 vs TU23

Post by MiBrassFS »

Over the years I’ve kept a lot of stuff around to keep options open. Different mouthpieces to fit to different instruments as an example. In the bag of tricks, I have a number of C4/TU23 and related pieces. Here’s a question…

Aside from piece to piece individual example variations, has anyone done a “deep dive” study of any differences, if any, between the ones stamped C4 and ones TU23? If someone has, what are the actual physical, hard fact measurement differences you found?

Seems to me they’re pretty similar. Is this a “I just want a C4” nostalgia thing? Don’t get me wrong, I like me some vintage everything.

What say ye, oh TubaForum?

Cameron Gates

Re: C4 vs TU23

Post by Cameron Gates »

I used a C4 on F tuba since I got my first F in 1991. It seemed to me that the C4 was a F tuba mouthpiece, so I went with it. Then in 1993 while in grad school I lost it. Worst feeling ever.

When I called WWBW or Tuba Exchange (don't remember which) to order a new C4 they sent me a TU23. I never paid attention to the number on the mouthpiece. To me it was exactly the same thing, only new.

I would imagine that this heart warming story does not help you in the least, however I believe that they are exactly the same mouthpiece.

Miraphone also gave my favorite CC mouthpiece, the Rose Orchestra model, a new TUxx model number but continued to also add the name "Rose Orchestra" with the new number. This proves????? that Miraphone must have just changed their numbering system and did not change the mouthpieces?????????

This is a hill I will die on if need be.
These users thanked the author Cameron Gates for the post:
the elephant (Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 am)
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Heart warmed. Because…

A.) That is my experience with them as well. Seems the same when nostalgia is removed from the equation.

2.) I’m pretty sure I mailed you a Rose mouthpiece of some sort. TE maybe. You’re consistent.

D.) Glad to see you’re still out and about.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Cameron Gates wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:25 am I used a C4 on F tuba since I got my first F in 1991. It seemed to me that the C4 was a F tuba mouthpiece, so I went with it. Then in 1993 while in grad school I lost it. Worst feeling ever.
Found your C4 at the lost and found at the Frontier Restaurant. They might still have it.
Rob. Just Rob.
Cameron Gates

Post by Cameron Gates »

kingrob76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:35 am
Cameron Gates wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:25 am I used a C4 on F tuba since I got my first F in 1991. It seemed to me that the C4 was a F tuba mouthpiece, so I went with it. Then in 1993 while in grad school I lost it. Worst feeling ever.
Found your C4 at the lost and found at the Frontier Restaurant. They might still have it.
That’s great Rob. Did you happen to notice if my youth and my patience for academic musicology bibliography and research crap were there too? I seemed to have lost them also.

The green chile stew and Frontier cinnamon rolls are missed. Bigly. Walter White and Tuco Salamanca’s version of Albuquerque sure wasn’t mine.
davidgilbreath
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

Cameron Gates wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 am "patience for academic musicology bibliography and research crap"
As a septuagenarian, I see so many applications of this partial quote to real life. This is worthy of stealing and claiming it for my own use. Thank you, Cameron.

David Gilbreath
". . . and loudly he played . . . "
David Gilbreath
1925 Conn New Wonder Monster Front Action BBb
c. 1938 York 716 5/4 BBb 4v