finding the age of my 2145

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Nworbekim

Re: finding the age of my 2145

Post by Nworbekim »

It lives up to the comments I've read about it. I had it to my guy last week for a bath and a going over. I had him vent the valves and it plays so easy I'm seriously thinking about making it my #1 even with having to work on new finger patterns

Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

My 2145
My 2145
51952967643_e4efca83f3_m.jpg (15.22 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I also tried to contact them about my 2145 for exactly the same reason. Tried their online registration process too. No response to either. Frustrating. It's such a wonderful horn for them to neglect the people who own them like 'red headed stepchild'...... oh well. Just enjoy what we have and leave it at that I guess.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Nworbekim (Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
matt g

Post by matt g »

Grumpikins wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm I also tried to contact them about my 2145 for exactly the same reason. Tried their online registration process too. No response to either. Frustrating. It's such a wonderful horn for them to neglect the people who own them like 'red headed stepchild'...... oh well. Just enjoy what we have and leave it at that I guess.
To be fair, they’d neglect you regardless of whatever horn you owned.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Nworbekim (Sat May 25, 2024 1:51 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

Grumpikins wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm I also tried to contact them about my 2145 for exactly the same reason. Tried their online registration process too. No response to either. Frustrating. It's such a wonderful horn for them to neglect the people who own them like 'red headed stepchild'...... oh well. Just enjoy what we have and leave it at that I guess.

were they disappointed in it or was it not accepted well? i've not played many different tubas but i think this is the best one i've played. i am just learning the C fingers and do ok until i get into a lot of accidentals. that will come though. i can't imagine a horn blowing any easier.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Nworbekim wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:02 pm

were they disappointed in it or was it not accepted well? i've not played many different tubas but i think this is the best one i've played. i am just learning the C fingers and do ok until i get into a lot of accidentals. that will come though. i can't imagine a horn blowing any easier.
I don’t think they were disappointed. I think it’s more to do with the merger that came and then a bunch of redundancy across lines along with figuring out what’s cheapest to make and/or putting parts together to make something ‘fun and new’ for the market.

Along with it being just at 4/4 size during the arms race among tuba manufacturers in the late 20th century…
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Likewise, I don't think they were disappointed. The 21X5 series has their fans and haters, among ANY make/model of tuba. The 2145's are kind of a weird size to me, but they certainly aren't the worst tubas out there.

The issue is, getting literally ANYTHING from the Buffet conglomerate these days is nearly impossible.

If you're really trying to find the date of manufacture, all you can really do is guesstimate. The small block pistons were out around the 90's as has already been stated.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb