'original mouthpiece' for a 1950s Imperial tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
splat
Lurker

'original mouthpiece' for a 1950s Imperial tuba

Post by splat »

I love my 1950s Imperial BBb bass (with three valves and a brilliant 17 inch bell).

I play it with a Wick 1 and we make beautiful music together. I think it is the most in-tune tuba I've played.

Does anyone know what the standard mouthpiece-of-the-time would have been? Did it come from the factory with a supplied mouthpiece? What were common BBb bass mouthpieces in the UK in the 50s?

I have read references to 'Kos(z)ik(c)up' mouthpieces, but have never seen one and can't even spell it properly. I am also not sure if these came in different sizes.

I have an old/small shank 'Dallas London' printed mouthpiece - but haven't read anything about them online.

Anyway, please share your big brain wisdom if you have any...Especially if you bought one brand new from the factory in the 50s (hello to all you 80 year olds in the UK)!

prairieboy1

Re: 'original mouthpiece' for a 1950s Imperial tuba

Post by prairieboy1 »

Our band has two Boosey&Hawkes BBb tubas dating back to the late 1940"s. I believe that one of them has a "kosikup" mouthpiece tucked into the side pocket of the gig bag. I'll see if I can snag it and post a picture. It may be awhile as we are now on summer break until after Labor Day! :thumbsup:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)