Schiller Studio Elite (“compensating”) CC tuba thoughts?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
utsatuba
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Schiller Studio Elite (“compensating”) CC tuba thoughts?

Post by utsatuba »

Hey y’all,

This horn (https://jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store/sc ... er-plated/) seems to be a MW Thor copy (such as Dillon Music’s JZ 5450 and Thomann’s Grand Fifty). Anybody have thoughts/reviews on the specific Schiller version? I’ve seen the JZ horn pop up on the forum a couple of times (I wanna say bloke had one ?), and I believe one is on sale at Baltimore Brass so just curious on info.

Thanks!

GC

Re: Schiller Studio Elite (“compensating”) CC tuba thoughts?

Post by GC »

Well, the description certainly doesn't match. "4 Monel Pistons-3 Top 1 Side Rotary", when the picture shows 4 front valves and a 5th rotor?
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
utsatuba
Lurker

Post by utsatuba »

GC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:06 am Well, the description certainly doesn't match. "4 Monel Pistons-3 Top 1 Side Rotary", when the picture shows 4 front valves and a 5th rotor?
Unfortunately, Schiller is known for their “off” descriptions such as this horn being “compensating.”
These users thanked the author utsatuba for the post (total 2):
matt g (Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:04 pm) • LibraryMark (Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:20 pm)
matt g

Post by matt g »

utsatuba wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:59 pm
GC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:06 am Well, the description certainly doesn't match. "4 Monel Pistons-3 Top 1 Side Rotary", when the picture shows 4 front valves and a 5th rotor?
Unfortunately, Schiller is known for their “off” descriptions such as this horn being “compensating.”
Years back, a lot of places selling tubas would call anything with more than 4 valves compensating or semi-compensating. Apparently the words “fully chromatic to the fundamental” hadn’t been invented.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

“European design with big warm sound and outstanding intonation. Vociferous Low End Projection The key to the exceptional sound of the Schiller Elite is in the quality grade of the Brass & Nickel Silver Tubings combined with the engineering that Schiller is well noted for.”

To me, Schiller will forever be best known for the quality of it’s ad copy! :tuba:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Mary Ann (Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:27 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Schiller/Jim Laabs is the worst place to buy a Chinese horn from...no quality control, no customer service, and the notoriously awful descriptions. Better to find the same model by another retailer. They're all the same model from the same factory, after all.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I have relatives that live a couple of hours from there.
It's quite a nice town - particularly in the summer.
The son of the namesake is a nice enough (I'm thinking, possibly not ultra-knowledgeable) guy.
If you want the cheapest jimbo, though, you might go there, test, and grab.
He moves a lot of that mess...even though y'all love to not love them...and (me) I wouldn't mess with jimbo...but a bunch of y'all do, and act like it matters where you git it.

I own a FEW Harbor Freight things, so I can't chide anyone for going for jimbo, without being disingenuous.
(Mostly, I buy stuff from there with no moving parts, which sort of limits my selection...but I DO buy their NON-battery calipers.
I drop stuff on the floor A LOT, and those tend to last LONGER than the first time I drop 'em.)
I will say this: I tried THREE times to buy one of these that works:
https://www.harborfreight.com/trigger-s ... 57892.html
They do not/will not. Pony up for the Bernz' 5000.
(remind me of jimbo rotors...but whatev')
Bassman71
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bassman71 »

Finetales wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:26 pm Schiller/Jim Laabs is the worst place to buy a Chinese horn from...no quality control, no customer service, and the notoriously awful descriptions. Better to find the same model by another retailer. They're all the same model from the same factory, after all.
Thanks, but what's your basis? Experience with them, talking to people who have had this experience, or from reading reviews? I'm not trying to defend them, just trying to understand. Thanks!
tubaing

Post by tubaing »

I haven't played this model. I have a Schiller euphonium that I bought used. I'm thrilled with it. I tend to believe that there are so many of these euphoniums made and sold that they probably have gotten really good at making them. There are so many different tubas they make, I'm guessing there could be a bigger gap between this tuba and the one it copies
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

COMPENSATING

These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:36 pm)
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bloke wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:30 pm ...jimbo...
Pretty sure this isn't a Jinbao; looks more like it's from ZO, who make a Thor copy. Their factory is in Hengshui.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

UncleBeer wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:39 am
bloke wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:30 pm ...jimbo...
Pretty sure this isn't a Jinbao; looks more like it's from ZO, who make a Thor copy. Their factory is in Hengshui.
Okay. The picture isn't that good. I actually bought one of those ZO things - to which you refer - quite a while back and did some heavy mods to it. (For one thing, the mouthpipe from the factory was comically large.) I still didn't care for it. It's physically bigger than 5450. Also, I really couldn't play it without manipulating both the first and third slides, which (at least with the York style piston setup) is a non-starter for me, and which is why I don't mess with Swiss contrabass tubas, among others
It played okay, but (again) not really good enough for me. I think I played some Rachmaninoff on it with the Memphis Symphony, I'm pretty sure I did a Celtic Woman Christmas concert with it, there's a picture of me playing another show with that instrument, so I guess I may have played a handful of concerts with it. Since the online picture is so funky - and I was looking at it on such a tiny screen here on my phone, I thought it was one of those NOT-Wiseman-9XX sort of old-old pt6P copy things that played so badly out of tune that they (that vendor) seemed to offer for a long time in the past.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Bassman71 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm
Finetales wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:26 pm Schiller/Jim Laabs is the worst place to buy a Chinese horn from...no quality control, no customer service, and the notoriously awful descriptions. Better to find the same model by another retailer. They're all the same model from the same factory, after all.
Thanks, but what's your basis? Experience with them, talking to people who have had this experience, or from reading reviews? I'm not trying to defend them, just trying to understand. Thanks!
When I looked into buying from them while I was still a newbie, I noted that there is no return policy if you don't like what you get, as there is at the reputable dealers. You can send it back, at your expense, for another one, but you cannot get a refund.

I doubt that has changed. I have recently played one of their BBb tubas and it was not anything I would be even slightly interested in owning. The person who was selling it had the same opinion and was trying to dump it to get something better.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bloke wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:19 am I actually bought one of those ZO things - to which you refer - quite a while back and did some heavy mods to it.
I honked on their Thor copy during a factory visit, and I agree: the intonation was pretty off.

Their Little Thunderbird (copy of a Nirschl 4/4) is a sweet horn though.

zo.jpg
zo.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I've played a "handmade" Nirschl, a production Nirschl, a B&S Nirschl (Besson 995), and a Brazil Nirschl.
(more than one of each, but whatever)

The handmade ("hands" down) was the best, but was impossible to play up to pitch (and someone else had already cut the main slide to the quick).

It was brought to me due to the mouthpipe being rotten.

Fortunately, I figured out a way to bend a replacement that was over an inch sorter YET leaving the receiver in precisely the same spot.

(success...a WONDERFUL and great-tuning tuba - though sorta mono-sororous)
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Bassman71 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm
I've never bought from them personally, because I've heard and read so many bad reviews of the experience. I haven't seen a single "bought a Schiller from Jim Laabs" review that wasn't scathing. Not about the horns themselves, but of the experience buying from Jim Laabs. That's a pretty big gamble when you're buying a horn with no QC that could easily be a dud and you can't get a refund for it.

The Schiller horns themselves can be good depending on the model, like any Chinese horn. I have a Schiller euphonium that I bought used here on the forum and I have no issues with it. I actually replaced a Sterling Virtuoso with it, and though the Sterling was obviously a cool instrument the Schiller is a better player overall.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

Finetales wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:12 am
The Schiller horns themselves can be good depending on the model, like any Chinese horn. I have a Schiller euphonium that I bought used here on the forum and I have no issues with it. I actually replaced a Sterling Virtuoso with it, and though the Sterling was obviously a cool instrument the Schiller is a better player overall.
I 100% agree. I love my Schiller Euphonium. I also got it used from an excellent local Euphonium player who did a fair amount of upgrades to it. New Yamaha valve springs and caps and had some bore optimization done. It will take a lot of practicing before that horn is holding me back as a musician.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
catgrowlB

Post by catgrowlB »

Years ago I bought one of those Schiller 7b copy bass bones from their ebay store. I went for the nickel plated version because I thought it looked nice and unique. The guy called me on the phone, said they didn't have the nickel version but just the gold brass/bronze version. I said, " that's fine", even though I wanted the nickel finish. They shipped it, complete in the case, wrapped in plastic in perfect condition.

Aside from a different finish I originally wanted, it has been great and I have used it in a college big band as a ringer/guest musician.
It plays very well, and is pretty with the gold brass/bronze bell and nickel-silver slide. The slide is good and smooth; the upper trigger slides were a little rough out of the box. But I've smoothed them out a bit. There was a tiny pinhole leak by the main tuning slide I found and patched soon after testing it. Otherwise, the horn looks and sounds great years later :smilie8:
The rotors, linkage/trigger mechanisms, and valve caps are all smooth and good -- no issues. I bought a couple mouthpieces for the horn that I much prefer over the one supplied.

One guy I know -- who plays at the same place I do -- got one of those much more expensive Shires Q bass bones. He had issues with his rotors sticking just a couple weeks after buying it and had to send it to a shop to remedy it. It is a larger, more "symphonic" bass bone, also with a gold brass bell. I dunno if he'd let me toot on it, but it would be interesting to compare. He chalked up the rotors sticking to "tighter tolerances". :eyes:
I've not had any issues with my bass bone rotors as of yet.