remarkable condition 6/4 Conn 4-piston front action BB-flat silver tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: remarkable condition (yes, absolutely) 6/4 Conn 4-piston front action BB-flat silver tuba

Post by bloke »

yes, it's a Conn "Orchestra Grand" 6/4, and all with all the most desirable features:

☑ one-piece upright bell
☑ four front-action valves
☑ tuning slide after the mouthpipe (though - as it's "buried" low into the instrument, this limits the tuning range (though plenty) to only a couple of inches or so, as a longer slide would not clear the bottom bow
☑ #1 (as well as #2 and #3) upper slides, and (see pic) the upper #1 slide is easily/comfortably left-hand accessible.
☑ (ok...well...) no patches nor cracks, and the original silver plating intact

I don't know how people can screw this sort of thing up (whereby all they have to do is look, and use a search engine), but (making far more sense than what I was told originally), this instrument was built in 1915, and not in 1906.

Here's an "open pitches" tuning test. As is typical with even the best of the 6/4 tubas (and these old Conn tubas have a reputation for being some of the most dubious, in this regard) the third partial (open F at the bottom of the staff) is quite flat when cold, but - warmed up - it's really not that much of an issue (see video). For this test (as we leave our house around 80° F. and above during the daytime in the summer), I cooled this area of the house down to 75°F. overnight, and then warmed up the tuba (playing it for a few minutes) prior to running this "open partial check". Maybe (??) others will consider these test conditions "reasonable" (ie. not scientific, but a reasonable effort). The mouthpiece (laying around here) that achieved the best balance of tuning (under these conditions) is one of my own offerings. It's the extended depth version of my "Symphony" cup, Symphony back-bore, and a shank insertion which splits the difference between (what are widely accepted as "standard" and "euro")...but that's neither here nor there, as the "test" involves the tuba, and not an array of mouthpieces.

textbook: lower F - tends flat, upper F - tends sharp, top-of-staff B-flat - tends flat
I attacked the top B-flat sharp, in order to demonstrate how easy it is to avoid playing it flat, and then allowed it to "settle" to the place where the tuba itself prefers that B-flat to be. The upper F, likely my ears put that pitch where it belongs, but then I realized that - as this is a demonstration - I needed to allow the tuba to show where it prefers that F to be located.

I doubt that Conn's 22-inch bell diameter/pancake has much to do with the sonority (which really can't be evaluated on this, via this only-$250-even-though-bought-new Android phone's mini-mic, as what I hear in the recording is a bunch of fuzzy). I've noticed a similarity (rare original one-piece bell versions) between the throat area taper of these bells and the Rudolf Meinl 5/4 (defacto 6/4) bells, and I'm pretty sure that I also notice a similarity in the type of sonority regarding the ancient/rare Conn "Orchestra Grand" (one-piece upright bell) tubas and the "5/4" (6/4) Rudolf Meinl tubas. In other words, I believe that a slightly SMALLER 6/4 bell throat area (compared to most all of the yorky ones) has more to do with the sonority (leaning slightly more towards "European/noble" than "American/jolly" to my ears) than final (larger, obviously) bell diameter. Side-by-side with my Miraphone 98, I'm pretty sure than the Conn "Orchestra Grand" bell throat area is the smaller of the two.

The #1 and #3 circuit lengths are classic/old-school American, whereby the instrument is "set up" as a 3-valve tuba with the designers' intentions obviously being that the 4th valve is only employed to play the low range (rather than being used in the regular range of the instrument for purposes of intonation) as the #1 circuit and #3 circuit are both long, obviously as a "compromise" between their own stand-alone lengths, and the 1-3 and 1-2-3 valve combinations' combined lengths. For (most?) modern/professional users, those circuits would probably be shortened.

Although the production date offered was a bunch of nonsense, the backstory seems to hint that I (and - if I don't keep it very long, I probably shouldn't "count" as an owner) am possibly only the third owner. The recent owner (who I believe is eighty-something) reported that they owned it since sometime around the early 1950s...??, when they bought it from an older guy who had reportedly owned it for decades. I guess I could re-contact, and see if I can get them to remember more specifics...but (me?) I never much care about provenance - or even that much about "rarity/collectibility", as I'm not really a collector. I own things to either use now, use soon, or use later. If I'm only going to look at something, I prefer to look at someone's else (which is only for looking at).
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 4):
BramJ (Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:43 pm) • gocsick (Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:54 pm) • arpthark (Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:45 pm) • hrender (Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:01 am)

splat

Re: remarkable condition 5/4 Conn 4-piston front action BB-flat silver tuba

Post by splat »

looks sensational...keep us posted
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: remarkable condition 6/4 Conn 4-piston front action BB-flat silver tuba

Post by bloke »

Tubajug wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:11 pm Is this the swap for the 22K, or another happy happenstance?
nope. We all stumble across stuff in our own backyards every once in awhile. This wasn't quite in my own backyard, but it was about as close as some of Blake's finds.

... at least y'all aren't going to have to worry about me cutting it to C. :laugh:

I believe one or two - here - know what the 22K is going to become (and I plan to add more "boot" to make that exchange more equitable...but their first remark was, "well...If you could come up with a 22K..." ...so a 22K it is!)

Anyway...Those two or three people might (??) keep their mouths shut.
IF I (or one of them) spills the beans, no one would believe it, anyway. :coffee:
Last edited by bloke on Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
arpthark (Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:24 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

OK...
A purist/collector might want the #1 and #3 circuits to be "factory"/untouched, but - seriously - this is a PLAYING tuba, and NOT (and would be a damn shame were it only) a "display" tuba...
(Just as it pisses some people off to see really great B-flat tubas cut to C, it pisses me off to see ANY really great tubas ONLY "on display" and never actually PLAYED. ...Otherwise, I guess it's just fine to [only] display goofball, wretched, and worn-out tubas.)

...so (as the overwhelming majority of modern players would expect #1 and #3 circuits to offer "in the pocket" lengths for 1, 1-2, and 2-3 pitches, I'm really tempted to shorten the #1 and #3 circuits.

AFTER ALL, King (after all those decades) "got it", and came out with the (original, detachable bell version - a few decades ago) 2341, which featured very few differences (compared to the old 1241) other than considerably shorter #1 and #3 circuits (ok...and a smaller-diameter - IF detachable upright option was chosen - bell, but - actually - a far less remarkable difference).

Further...I can see that this can be done (to this glorious old Conn) without pulling the tuba apart and appreciably changing its general appearance or defacing it.
...playing a great old tuba better in-tune vs. not-as-well in-tune...yes?...no?
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

There's nothing wrong with modernizing an instrument to make it a usable tool in an ensemble. IMHO.
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Someone else is going to have to do that stuff. It's already gone.
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:24 pm Someone else is going to have to do that stuff. It's already gone.
You sold it to a museum to display?

:teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I did measure the bore. This really old one is the same bore size as the 2XJ instruments. It's .765" or thereabouts.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

How's the compression?
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

kingrob76 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:43 am How's the compression?
remarkably, "A-".

With some oil that's only a bit more viscous than that which I would use, all (including 1 and 2) offer a vacuum release after a slide pull.

To be more clear, had I kept it, I very much doubt that I would have decided to subject the valves to a rebuild...It neither plays nor feels like "an old leaky tuba", and not even if played "dry".
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Did you describe it to the new owner as having, “Dents, but none that affect playability?” :smilie8:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MikeS wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:53 am
Did you describe it to the new owner as having, “Dents, but none that affect playability?” :smilie8:

LOL :laugh:

Actually - coincidentally - passing through here (in-person), they described it to ME in that manner. :tuba:

Not keeping it, I really wasn't looking forward to all the things that I would do to it to maximize the cosmetics/playability (as I would then need to recover those efforts in a considerably higher price), but the buyer "has a guy" - so that's perfect. It's g-o-n-e.

It's QUITE GOOD and it's QUITE INTERESTING, but me 'n' FatBastard are really good buds.

final comment...??
Having now been exposed to THE MOST DESIRABLE version of this model-family - and in unadulterated (other than dents and really minor valve wear) condition, I have LEARNED a whole bunch about these...and I'm quite happy to have learned those things.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Pauvog1 (Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:57 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I felt like I ought to share this (??)...

The previous owner of this instrument (apparently, every so often) performed a comical skit with this tuba.

Along with an emailed receipt, I was sent a copy of the script.

(Can you say "script o' the skit" really fast a whole bunch of times without accidentally saying "sh!t"?) :bugeyes:

Anyway...