Which One Would You Choose? BMB 765 or Conn 25J

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
dugh

Which One Would You Choose? BMB 765 or Conn 25J

Post by dugh »

I'm a community band member. The music isn't that difficult and hardly ever a note below F. I'll be deciding soon between the two horns. I like these horns for their round tone. Sometimes I'm the only tuba at practice in a group of 90. What would you choose if you were in my position?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Which One Would You Choose? BMB 765 or Conn 25J

Post by bloke »

I roll my eyes when someone uses the argument that "so and so does so and so" to defend their choice to also themselves do so and so.

... but here I go mentioning that "so and so does so and so".

When Gene decides to play B-flat, he uses a BMB. I'm not particularly fond of them. I also don't think they're terrible. I would choose a BMB personally over a Conn, and it has nothing to do with valves orientation.

If those are the only two choices, I've delivered my answer to you, but I'm not anyone, so don't pick because of me. I also probably wouldn't pick because of Gene either. Let Gene do What Gene does, and you do what you want to do.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 3):
Pauvog1 (Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:24 am) • dugh (Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:38 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:09 am)
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Didn’t Gene move on from the BMB to greener pastures? Just curious.

“Not in the market myself…”
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
dugh (Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:38 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

MiBrassFS wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:54 pm Didn’t Gene move on from the BMB to greener pastures? Just curious.

Dick Barth posted pics from just a few months ago of Gene playing the BMB, I believe.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
dugh (Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:37 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:54 pm Didn’t Gene move on from the BMB to greener pastures? Just curious.

He and I email each other about train sightings and cabbages and kings from time to time, and the last time I talked to him (which wasn't all that long ago, though time passes faster when we get older) he was still playing that thing.

I was wondering about a trip to Wisconsin in a few months - just for fun (which would either be when it's still warm enough or when it's beginning to be warm enough again), and I toyed with the idea of taking FatBastard up there for him to check out, but I just don't want to be burdened with it on a trip like that.

bloke "Dragging a tuba all over the place is too reminiscent of a gig."
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I happen to like the sound of the big old Conns. I play a 20J in a harness instead of sousaphone from time to time for outdoor gigs or indoor standing gigs when space is tight. If you can deal with the intonation issues (not that it is any worse than most old BBbs) and you like the sound go for it. For community band and jazz jams, I am typically not the problem player in the ensemble when it comes to intonation when On on the 20J.

I have no experience with the BMB.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Again, completely NOT in the market…

Can the BMB tubas still be purchased new or are they now a secondary market thing? I looked for website for info and didn’t find one.

Edit: I did find a Facebook page that is set to public (so, non-Facebookers can access it…) and it said they’re out of business, but Gene still uses one. I’ve never seen one in person and don’t know anything about their models, etc. I imagine a guy like him has a few tubas!
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

MiBrassFS wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:56 am Again, completely NOT in the market…

Can the BMB tubas still be purchased new or are they now a secondary market thing? I looked for website for info and didn’t find one.

Edit: I did find a Facebook page that is set to public (so, non-Facebookers can access it…) and it said they’re out of business, but Gene still uses one. I’ve never seen one in person and don’t know anything about their models, etc. I imagine a guy like him has a few tubas!
They are out of business and I believe the remainder of their stock was sent to Buckeye Brass.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I heard somebody was “redesigning” them, at some point. I don’t know if that’s still the case. Maybe it was Buckeye?
These users thanked the author Sousaswag for the post:
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
matt g

Post by matt g »

Given those two options, I’d probably choose the BMB also.

Both of these horns will likely have a few intonation difficulties requiring some slide manipulation, so the front/side action layout of the BMB makes that situation a bit easier to deal with. Plus, I think the upper slides for 1, 3, and 4 are all ‘right there’ with 2 being an option if you extend the ring (I’ve always found a way to avoid that). On the Conn you’ll have access to 1st and maybe 3rd but that requires a bit more groping about.

With regards to sound/timbre I’d also prefer the BMB provided it’s true to its design inspiration. The 2xJs can get a bit hairy when pushed at a lower intensity.

Having said all of that, if you’re in a band that sometimes has 1, sometimes has 4 tuba players, I might go a bit more “middle of the road” if this is your only horn.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
dugh

Post by dugh »

Thanks for all the good input. I'll get the BMB back from the dent shop soon and will be able to test them side by side. I love the sound from both horns, but I only want to own one.

The Conn has to rest on my lap when playing without a bit, but it's comfortable otherwise. It's tricky to navigate doorways with the Conn though. I actually prefer the top action valves a bit better. I don't pull slides while playing. For me, the BMB rest comfortably on the chair and I can have good posture while playing it upright. I've seen other players holding the BMB on their lap at an angle. The BMB also fits through doorways better.

I know for some of the better players my considerations might seem trivial. Any other things I might want to consider?
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I use a Yoga block with my 20J and tilt the chair slightly diagonally. This way I can rest it comfortably on the block and chair and not on my legs. More portable than a stand.

One of these
https://www.yogadirect.com/foam-yoga-bl ... -inch.html
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
dugh (Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:17 pm)
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you are fine with top-action, the old 17-inch-bell or later-made 19-inch-bell 3+1 compensating B-flat tubas are pretty cool, and (at least my old 17-inch bell one) offer good tuning.

I need to fix up a 1980's UK-made Sovereign (here) in a Jakob Winter case...I believe a friend (also on these forums) might be interested in it, once I've gone back over past/shoddy dent removal.

They're quite cool, and play chromatically as low as you can play - and only four valves.

There are also some very well-made China versions, but new ones (even quality Chinese) might exceed your budget. ($5xxx, etc...)

example: https://jpmusicalinstruments.com/produc ... 8-bbb-tuba

I've seen another Chinese one whereby it appears that the Chinese Hirsbrunner copy has a 3+1 compensating valve section pasted onto it.
I've never played one...Based on the body (if pictures aren't fooling me) those are probably a bit smaller.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
catgrowlB

Post by catgrowlB »

For a large concert/wind band, Conn 25j.
These users thanked the author catgrowlB for the post:
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

Martin Mammoth. The 3 upright piston models have surprisingly good intonation and very usable false tones. More sound than you will ever need but very agile.
These users thanked the author martyneilan for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:50 pm) • dugh (Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:59 am)
splat

Post by splat »

25J or bust
These users thanked the author splat for the post:
dugh (Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:49 pm)
dugh

Post by dugh »

:teeth:
splat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:00 am25J or bust
I have strong feelings about these horns too!