Wick mouthpieces

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Wick mouthpieces

Post by Mary Ann »

I ended up, so far, using a Wick 5 on the NStar; narrow enough for my face but not incredibly shallow, works quite well for bass tuba in brass band and quartet, both of which have a lot going on in the top half of the staff and above. Browsing the specs, I noted that the cups increase in both width and depth as the numbers go down, but in fairly small increments. Out of curiosity I bought a 4, which is just a tad wider and a tad deeper. I found it takes a tad more air, a tad more focus, is a tad harder to play high on and a tad easier to play low on. And produces a tad deeper tone quality. For some reason this fascinates me that Wicks have the precision this good; I'm kind of impressed with Wicks at this point in time. The 4 has found a home on the Hagen while the 5 still works best on the NStar for what I use it for. I tried a friend's 3 a couple years ago and found it too wide.

I've got some Typical Tuba Cups -- and they are all too wide, except for the JK 8C I have, but I find the Wicks to be easier to play and with possibly better tone with me playing them. I still am waiting on the JK 8E I ordered and will see what I think about that one, but I suspect the Wicks Will Win. I used the 7B when doing oom pah on the 183, and it was fine for that.

Everybody ends up with a box 'o cups.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
iiipopes (Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:17 pm)

GC

Re: Wick mouthpieces

Post by GC »

Good choices for your situation.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
donn

Post by donn »

I liked the Wick 5 I had. I appreciate that they make a little broader range of cup sizes that still manage to be real tuba mouthpieces - as Josef Klier does as well. I've been on a JK Exclusive "Classic" series, might be 4A, something like that, and I like it a little more than my plain Exclusive 5A. If you stick to one series, either Exclusive or Exclusive Classic, I believe the geometry is fairly consistent given the selected parameters. That isn't so much the case with Wick - my 2L's cup profile seemed different to me, than the 5.

I'd be interested to hear how the plating holds up, between the two makes. Wick's seemed awfully thin for me, years ago.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The 5, I bought used and it is gold plated, definitely worn to not shiny any more. The 4 is silver and likely will last as long as I do.
splat

Post by splat »

i have an old wick 1 that used to be gold plated. it’s worn off so now i add some clear nail polish every few weeks to keep my lips happy!
These users thanked the author splat for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:46 am)
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

I like the Wick range and now use a 2L on my EEb Tuba; for me the bigger cup energised the fourth valve range and gave a fuller quality to the sound, but YMMV. In my early Eb playing I used a Wick 5 on my three valve instrument, it worked just fine and the upper range above the stave was easier … but I rarely find need to go up there. In even earlier days I got by with a Bass Trombone piece (in a small shank receiver) and it worked fine too, it seems to me that Eb Tubas are very mouthpiece tolerant within the three valve range.

Play the biggest cup that you can manage, and the smallest that’ll do the job - and hope that there’s overlap between the two.

If a Wick 5 /5L fits your face best and sounds good to you then that’s the right one for you.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post:
je (Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:52 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

splat wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:59 am i have an old wick 1 that used to be gold plated. it’s worn off so now i add some clear nail polish every few weeks to keep my lips happy!
That is a trick I have used too when I started reacting to silver.
donn

Post by donn »

My Wick 5 alternated between coral lips, and blue. I learned to appreciate the skill of fingernail polish experts, as my freehand results were not so good. The best for me was to apply a ring shaped puddle on some waste plastic or something, and dip the rim.
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

Or.... simply buy the silver plated version. I have no idea why DW doesn't silver plate initially before gold plating (like other manufacturers). But, it's a real problem.
These users thanked the author cktuba for the post:
je (Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:22 pm)
je
Lurker

Post by je »

I had no idea that Denis Wick omits silver under the gold plating. That's terrible! Guess who's retiring a gold-plated Denis Wick mouthpiece ASAP.
donn

Post by donn »

It's news to me, too - but my Wick mouthpieces with the early plating wear were silver plated. Maybe it just seems like the gold has no silver under, because their silver is so thin. Again that was decades ago, different ownership etc.
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

It may have changed. But years ago they did not silver plate initially. I had a gold plated 2L and after a few years ended up with a raw brass rim, before I knew that raw brass was harmful. I figured it out pretty quickly though. Do not play on raw brass.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Plating, as I understand it, is not difficult on something like a mouthpiece. I used to know Tom Greer (RIP) who made Moosewood horn mouthpieces. Once when I was at his house, he was silver plating one and had it suspended in a glass of water, maybe with a silver rod and hooked to a D battery or something like that -- not a sophisticated system at all. Seems to me that rather than tossing an expensive mouthpiece because the plating is worn, someone could do a little research and figure out how to replate it yourself. I have several feet of 99.99% silver wire all coiled up somewhere, that I used to make colloidal silver for a while. That kind of metal is available and I'm sure people here both know where to get it and how to plate a mouthpiece.
je (Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:50 pm)
donn

Post by donn »

I look forward to reading about it from more informed persons, but one thing even I know - silver plate doesn't normally apply directly to the brass mouthpiece stock, there's a copper "flash" (thin) plate first. That wears off instantly once the silver is gone, so for a good re-plate, you'd have to put the copper back on the brass. It doesn't make quite as much sense to put a copper flash on the remaining silver, but at home I guess that's what you'd have to do. The mouthpiece also has to be made very clean.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
je (Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:50 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

So now I've gotten into one of my silly engineer-brain thought trains about mouth width vs optimal cup width. Kind of obvious that those with wider mouths will be able to play wider cups without getting lost in them, and might feel restricted with a narrow cup (although we horn players manage quite a range on horn cups; it's just about how skilled you are at focusing in that tiny space.)
je
Lurker

Post by je »

My assumption, not informed by actual experience, was that depositing a layer of silver over the gold would have adhesion issues. If that turns out to be incorrect, I'll probably give over-plating a shot. Meanwhile I have a silver-plated SM9 on the way... coming from Europe since I couldn't find one in the US.

This past year a CNC toolroom lathe entered my life (in support of high school robotics; my hobbies lean heavily toward wood), and I can't help dreaming about experimenting with mouthpieces. But the lead exposure potential from free-turning brass has me waffling on whether to figure out silver plating, versus working through the additional challenges of turning stainless steel.
Last edited by je on Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TxTx

Post by TxTx »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:02 am Plating, as I understand it, is not difficult on something like a mouthpiece. I used to know Tom Greer (RIP) who made Moosewood horn mouthpieces. Once when I was at his house, he was silver plating one and had it suspended in a glass of water, maybe with a silver rod and hooked to a D battery or something like that -- not a sophisticated system at all. Seems to me that rather than tossing an expensive mouthpiece because the plating is worn, someone could do a little research and figure out how to replate it yourself. I have several feet of 99.99% silver wire all coiled up somewhere, that I used to make colloidal silver for a while. That kind of metal is available and I'm sure people here both know where to get it and how to plate a mouthpiece.
My late father did a lot of metalworking, sculpture, and jewelry, and I remember him electroplating stuff using a model train transformer with the thing to be plated in a liquid in a big pickle jar. The liquid would need to be some kind if electrolyte so it would conduct. In a quick look at the internet tonight I saw white vinegar mentioned. I also recall him using copper sulfate solution to copper plate things.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The tap water in Phoenix is so hard that it almost qualifies as an electrolyte. Tucson too -- courtesy of the open trough called the Central Arizona Project.
TxTx (Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:23 pm)
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I played a Wick 5 once in Australia on a school band trip (school rented horns for us). I remember it being smaller, but not "bad" at all. I bet it makes a great fit on the N. Star. Glad that is working out! I have played a Wick tuba mouthpiece in about 15 years, but never hated their products. Just moved on to "other stuff".
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
je
Lurker

Post by je »

2nd tenor wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:48 am I like the Wick range and now use a 2L on my EEb Tuba; for me the bigger cup energised the fourth valve range and gave a fuller quality to the sound, but YMMV.
This comment gave me an excuse to try a 2L as part of a broad search for mouthpieces that work well with my new Eb tuba (Yamaha YEB-632IIS). To my surprise, although the 3SL works well as a solo mouthpiece (beat only by the Robert Tucci RT-64), the 3L does *not* resonate very well, yet the 2L is among the best I tried, beat only by the Robert Tucci RT-65 and Sellmansberger Imperial (#1 rim), which remain in a dead heat for first place.