Beautiful old Distin engraving

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Beautiful old Distin engraving

Post by arpthark »

This is the nicer of my two little Distin Eb tubas. I realized it only had a surface sheen of purple tarnish and shined it up a bit today after doing some work on it. I love the engravings and all the little details in the filigree.

This one is from ca. 1890, low pitch (note the big wide bowed-out main tuning slide), and plays pretty well.

My other one is a high pitch conversion (not done by me), and I believe it is 1880s, with raw nickel silver pistons, cork valve cap bumpers and other antique features. It's currently in pieces because the conversion made it play a quarter step flat. But it has a cooler (IMO) floral engraving of flowers spilling all the way down the bell. Needs a lot more work to be playable. Some day...
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 6):
Mary Ann (Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:16 pm) • TheBerlinerTuba (Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:32 pm) • sweaty (Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:15 pm) • humBell (Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:37 pm) • gionvil (Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:18 pm) and one more user