The Cowboys - arr. Curnow (John Williams) BAND tuba part

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MikeMason

Re: The Cowboys - arr. Curnow (John Williams) BAND tuba part

Post by MikeMason »

The “divisi” gives it away. In our pops rotation along with Magnificent 7 in the orchestra. Always enjoy.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:40 am)

Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yeah as I was typing the original post I figured out that it was a band part, so I should have just deleted some of the rhetoric there before I even posted.

Anyway, two people have sent clean copies of the part, and that's appreciated very much.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:17 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:10 am
tofu wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:00 am Yeah that looks to be the band part. We've played it a couple times including with Curnow himself conducting. Don't recall if that was when it first got released. It's a fun band piece - not really that difficult - I'd think a decent HS wind ensemble would have no problem.
Jim Curnow was working at Asbury University in KY while I was going to the University of Kentucky, a stone's throw away. We always ended up performing a lot of his music both at UK and in the Lexington Brass Band. He was close friends with Skip Gray and Jim did a lot of unpublished arrangements for the tuba ensemble that were a ton of fun. I've always admired his work. I believe he still lives in the area.
He's not related to Bob (trombonist/composer/arranger) is he?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:25 pm
arpthark wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:10 am
tofu wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:00 am Yeah that looks to be the band part. We've played it a couple times including with Curnow himself conducting. Don't recall if that was when it first got released. It's a fun band piece - not really that difficult - I'd think a decent HS wind ensemble would have no problem.
Jim Curnow was working at Asbury University in KY while I was going to the University of Kentucky, a stone's throw away. We always ended up performing a lot of his music both at UK and in the Lexington Brass Band. He was close friends with Skip Gray and Jim did a lot of unpublished arrangements for the tuba ensemble that were a ton of fun. I've always admired his work. I believe he still lives in the area.
He's not related to Bob (trombonist/composer/arranger) is he?
I can't say for certain, but I don't think so. I couldn't find any link between them online.

I was also wrong -- Jim lives in NC now.

Another Asbury (tiny Christian college) music connection -- Mark Ridenour, asst. principal trumpet of the Chicago Symphony (formerly at Memphis; maybe you know him, Joe) also went there. He won the third trumpet spot in the Lexington Philharmonic while he was still a senior at Asbury.

I had the pleasure of playing with Mark a handful of times when he would come back and play at the Great American Brass Band festival with the host band, the Advocate Brass Band, and often just "in" the section, rarely being featured as a soloist or anything. It was a treat.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I played quite a few Memphis Symphony brass quintet gigs with Mark.
I also paid him to floor one room of a house (one I was moving out of...Years earlier, I had pulled out the horrible/filthy "shag" carpet, but - since our kids were small, and dropped/spilled things - we had made the decision to not wood-floor the house until we were ready to sell it).
I saw him briefly at Ravinia - one summer - when I was studying with Gene.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Did you end up meeting with this young man?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:41 pm Did you end up meeting with this young man?
They never texted me or anything, and they knew when I was going to be there. This just reinforced my life long decision - since approximately age 22 - to not teach anyone.
... lip service.

It's supposed to be 3% teacher and 97% student. It's not supposed to be 110% teacher and -10% student.