Firm corners

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Erik_Sweden

Firm corners

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Hi all,

Since I'm self-taught on tuba I don't know, and like to ask following: I see on YT and read often about firm corners, but how firm is firm corners?

Miraphone Hagen 497
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Firm corners

Post by LeMark »

say the word "pepper"

make note of what your corners feel like while you say that

there you go
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Maybe, something to go by - with any technique - is "If it works better than another technique doing something in particular, utilize that technique until you stumble across an even better one"...I guess...(??)

Another "thing" (probably) is to "Pay way more attention to how you sound than to how you're making that sound".

BUT...??

"If you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, and like like what you're doing is way different that people who sound better than you, (at least) trying making yourself look like you're doing what they do".
Erik_Sweden

Post by Erik_Sweden »

LeMark wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm say the word "pepper"

make note of what your corners feel like while you say that

there you go
First this made no sense at all, but when I try to sound like an American (and not as a Swede) it made me understand what you ment :)
Miraphone Hagen 497
donn

Post by donn »

Hm ... it didn't really make all that much sense to me, so I took it as a sort of odd way to say "don't worry, if your lips close that's firm enough."
Google translate's Swede puts the stress on the 2nd syllable and rolls the R; her Ps are a little indistinct, could be chapped lips from severe winter weather, but I'd bet money her lips close. You weren't slipping into Danish, were you?
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

donn wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 pm Hm ... it didn't really make all that much sense to me, so I took it as a sort of odd way to say "don't worry, if your lips close that's firm enough."

Not at all. That's the difference between the the P sound and a M. The P will have more firmness in the corners before the syllable begins

If the corners are firm, the cheeks can't puff out
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If the lips close, there is no sound...
If the lips are closed but manage to be forced open by air pressure, the sound likely to be unpleasant to the ears.
...but this issue has been discussed before, and I'm not revisiting it.
One thing that I've learned is that people believe all sorts of things about all sorts of things.
Last edited by bloke on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

We're talking about corners Joe. Try saying pepper. Your lips come apart.
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm sure they do (no argument); I'm not referring to that, but to something much more fundamental.
donn

Post by donn »

Cheeks sure could puff out. They don't, ordinarily, because we don't put that much into a P. Firm corners would prevent cheek puffing, with a brass instrument? Asking for a friend.
Erik_Sweden

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Thats funny, because my cheek puffing all the time when blowing in my tuba. If I try to have firm corners I get not so much puffing, but not much sound. If I blow with full sound my cheeks puff, and my corners are not firm.

Major problem is that here where I live, there is no tuba teacher that actually play tuba at any decent level. Most of them are trumpet players. So I have to ask you :)
Miraphone Hagen 497
donn

Post by donn »

Erik_Sweden wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm So I have to ask you :)
Ew. That can't turn out well. It sounds like you have something that works, though, so you don't need to pay any attention to what we say.

As you have noticed, there are a lot of trumpet players. They blow harder, and you can see some presumably self trained players who have more or less wrecked their cheeks - they puff out like a tree frog, and the muscles that ordinarily would counteract that aren't any use, so you may occasionally see them holding a cheek down with a spare finger. And of course the amount of lip actually working in the mouthpiece is pretty tiny. It's a different instrument. I wouldn't expect tuba players ever blow nearly that hard, and their lips need to adapt to a lot more mouthpiece real estate. It may be that a certain amount of standard brass instruction is less applicable to the tuba than to the much more common lesser instruments.