Any Eb tubas for sale?

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
bort2.0

Any Eb tubas for sale?

Post by bort2.0 »

Just spent an afternoon with an E flat tuba and had a blast. Kind of curious what a modern version, bigger, and in good condition might be like. Anything for sale out there?

$3000 or less, 4+ valves, nothing Chinese

Thanks! :tuba:

hrender

Re: Any Eb tubas for sale?

Post by hrender »

Not my horn, not <$3500, but noticed it and thought I would share.

https://reverb.com/item/27623552-miraph ... ve-eb-tuba

Eb pricing is weird. 3v horns often go for pocket change, but put a fourth valve on one and the price can double or triple.

Thought: that 3v Martin Recording Eb would make a heck of a project horn.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks Hal, and everyone else for the PM's!

I have a little Eb homework to do, I think... but there are a lot of really nice looking options in my price range.
hrender

Post by hrender »

Sorry, here's the link to the Martin. Not sure why the thing keeps being relisted.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/msg/ ... 83089.html
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

PM sent.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
hrender

Post by hrender »

York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

hrender wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:00 pm Also, just noticed this one: https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.com/p ... -tuba.aspx

THat one has been there for quite awhile.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I would think if this is your "everything horn," you are probably going to be less-than-happy unless you get either a 4v-compensating or 5v-non-compensating. Three or four non-compensating ain't going to cut it!
These users thanked the author greenbean for the post:
Mithosphere (Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:27 pm)

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Aw man, I hadn't even thought about the compensating (or not) consideration. I do think this is still an option to explore, and THANK YOU to everyone who replied. I don't think I've written back to everyone yet...

But yes, it could potentially be a nice Eb to cover most of everything. Front action piston Eb's have usually been the ones that I like most... But those are more expensive, too.

I like the idea of a big F tuba as well for the same purpose, but outside of the Yamaha 822, I'm not sure what other big F tuba is out there and/or worth a damn.
Druzone
Has thanked: 0

Post by Druzone »

There’s a 5valve York Monster Eb at Baltimore Brass - a little north of your price range, but worth a look.
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 pm Aw man, I hadn't even thought about the compensating (or not) consideration. I do think this is still an option to explore, and THANK YOU to everyone who replied. I don't think I've written back to everyone yet...

But yes, it could potentially be a nice Eb to cover most of everything. Front action piston Eb's have usually been the ones that I like most... But those are more expensive, too.

I like the idea of a big F tuba as well for the same purpose, but outside of the Yamaha 822, I'm not sure what other big F tuba is out there and/or worth a damn.
A big F tuba that plays easily (like an Eb) will most certainly be out of your budget. MW 2250 plays very easily (I'm definitely a fan), but it is not easily afforded. An 822 ain't exactly cheap either. The JP piston F is from "over there," and a new one is still out of your budget, so that's out. Finding a big, easy-playing F tuba that is manufactured in the West and is very affordable is highly unlikely.

Ok, how about Eb?
I REALLY like the Packer 377. If the Symphonie had not already been on my radar, I would have bought the 377 I tried. Damned near bought it anyway. A new one would be above your budget, but not out of sight. A used one would be closer to your budget. Yes, it also originates "over there" and despite being of excellent build quality, that leaves this one out (and it leaves out the fantastic Wessex Tubby Eb - I thought it was a total badass). Joe had a really nice 983 a while back, but it, like other nice front action Eb's, are usually not within your budget parameters.

So what is left?
- A York or some kind of monster conversion. You have to be patient and ready to pounce if a rare jewel comes along (if it's a jewel at all).

-A Kanstul Eb might be the ticket and close to affordable. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those around, and fewer that come up for sale. I'd definitely consider one.

-Yamaha makes a couple of Eb tubas that might be affordable and do what you need. The non-comp Eb is pretty easy to play, and not as expensive as the 981 copy.

- A 15" bell Imperial of proper vintage in not-worn-out shape would be an excellent choice - they are highly desirable among many players - and it would likely be within your budget. I missed my chance on a mint example sold by John Powell a while back. Someone with the dough pulled the trigger immediately, as they should have. If you find one, just be careful that it isn't worn out junk. @bloke and others are probably better to discuss this model than me. But they do come up for sale, and the good ones are... well... good ones.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Talk to @UncleBeer

He had a couple of Eb tubas in his store that might be just what you are looking for. I'm thinking of the BMB Eb or the Gnagey I played in this video (last two horns in this video)

Yes they are both made in China, but they seemed well built

https://youtu.be/t6tTNFxVEvM?t=333
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

“nothing Chinese” - in the original inquiry, pretty much disqualifies all replies thus far (which is an example of why I mostly try to avoid asking questions on forums or social media…

…so who’s got a Brazil or India made E-flat that they would strongly recommend to Mr. Brett?
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

For a non Chinese Eb for less than 3k, you're looking at a Yamaha 321 (4 valves, non compensating) an older Besson compensating (wasn't there one for sale on this board recently?) or getting really lucky on a Frankentuba of something like that

Plenty of 3 valve horns out there. The king that @Mithosphere posted about a couple of weeks ago would be on top of my wish list
Yep, I'm Mark
Mithosphere

Post by Mithosphere »

The King Monster Eb at Mike Nye's shop in Tempe, AZ is in very good condition... but only three valves.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, but it's a great candidate to add a couple of valves to.
Yep, I'm Mark
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
Here's your Yamaha, Tuba Exchange shows 2 of them.
https://www.tubaexchange.com/collection ... eeb-tuba-1
Happy hunting!
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)