Tuba stand

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
cktuba

Tuba stand

Post by cktuba »

Years ago I remember seeing a tuba stand that consisted of a plastic piece that sat in your chair and an adjustable tuba rest. Your body weight held the plastic piece in the chair and supported the tuba. I always preferred the traditional design so I used and recommended those. However the Wind Symphony is now playing on risers and space is at a premium. Does anyone out there remember these and are they still available?

hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tuba stand

Post by hup_d_dup »

A few years ago Dillon Music had a rest like this but it was made of wood, not plastic. I just checked their website and it’s not there but if you call Matt I’m sure he will remember it and may be able to tell you how to locate one.

Hup
These users thanked the author hup_d_dup for the post:
cktuba (Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:33 pm)
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

My old teacher, Don Butterfield, suggested (and used himself) old paperback books wrapped up in paper (like wrapping a present). I suppose if you wanted something more permanent, you could put them in a Ziploc bag or something similar. Easily customizable - use more or less books, depending on the height you desire.

When (if) it wears out, throw it away and use more books.
hrender

Post by hrender »

cktuba wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:37 am Years ago I remember seeing a tuba stand that consisted of a plastic piece that sat in your chair and an adjustable tuba rest. Your body weight held the plastic piece in the chair and supported the tuba. I always preferred the traditional design so I used and recommended those. However the Wind Symphony is now playing on risers and space is at a premium. Does anyone out there remember these and are they still available?
I remember the discussion and have seen them come up for sale, albeit rarely. The one model I dimly recall was named after a tuba player who designed it, but I can't remember his name. I am not aware of anyone selling anything similar. I have never used one myself.

With all that said, it's always possible to home-brew one with a little scrounging of parts. If anyone has one and can share some pics, that would be a place to start. Otherwise, a greenfield project is always an option.

Edit: I poked around and found an old TN thread on the subject here. The Stewart stand mentioned in the article is here.

Also, there are several chair-mounted rests out there, but they seem to be fitted to specific chairs. Examples here, here, and here.

If Dillon sold the one you're thinking of, a call to Matt Walters would be in order.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

This might be an option if you cannot find the seat option. This is the Wessex tuba stand. I do not have one but it appears to be the smallest in diameter at 9".

https://us.wessex-tubas.com/products/pr ... and-sdt-30
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

The Tubassist... yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Here's a pic I found. I don't think they make them anymore.

I actually recommend the Wessex stand. We'll see if anyone buys one and how it works. Too bad about the Tubassist, that seems like a nice solution to this problem.

http://www.netinstruments.com/tubas/tub ... 35564.jpg/
Doc

Post by Doc »

Yorkboy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:29 am My old teacher, Don Butterfield, suggested (and used himself) old paperback books wrapped up in paper (like wrapping a present). I suppose if you wanted something more permanent, you could put them in a Ziploc bag or something similar. Easily customizable - use more or less books, depending on the height you desire.

When (if) it wears out, throw it away and use more books.
When I was in college (and the tuba could still fit on the chair with me), I used old paperback books. My mother was a seamstress on the side, and she said she would cover them with a tough fabric with a layer of padding inside. She used a heavy black material - she said it audiences wouldn't notice it if I wore my tux or a black suit. Smart lady, she was. I had three stacks of different height for my Kurath CC, Rudy 3/4 CC, and Alex F. She built them hell-for-stout, and I never wore them out. I eventually had different tubas, and I later outgrew the tuba rests anyway. :smilie6:

Today, nothing fits on the chair with me, so I use the Wessex stand for the Hagen. It is a solid stand, for sure, and I have NO issues whatsoever. I would buy it again. I still have my old tuba stand, so I use for the 186 and F tuba to keep from having to adjust the Wessex when switching around (for efficiency), although the Wessex is easy to adjust.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
GC

Post by GC »

I use a cheap drum throne, and the legs don't go any further forward than my feet.
These users thanked the author GC for the post:
Doc (Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:57 pm)
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

I remember the Tubassist very well. I purchased one and used it for several years. It worked very well. I paid mine forward to a tuba player in Australia, I believe. The inventor of this passed away years ago and the production of the tubassist ended. I have been using a Hercules for my King 2145 and a drum throne for my Holton. The Holton is just too big to be managed inside of a Hercules stand!
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
scottw

Post by scottw »

The best of the lot? Baltimore Brass stand, in my experience.
Bearin' up!