instruments setting out - at the ready

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

instruments setting out - at the ready

Post by bloke »

I posted this on fb...and am simply reposting it here...

topic: human nature
subjects: me, then you
condition: often, exhausted
---------------------
> tubas sitting OUT: I might pick them up and play, and might even "practice".
> tubas IN their cases/bags: I go lay down. 😴
> more: If I don't have the time/energy to do anything else, I might pick up any one of my instruments, and play through a was-popular-in-some-point-in-time song - a song that I've never played before - and play it in a somewhat remote key (perhaps six sharps/flats, etc.)
(ie. a quick mostly-mental exercise)
If I have time to play through two or three never-played-before (but in-my-head) songs - along with their bridges/verses...and find that I STILL have a few more minutes-worth of energy, I'll probably work on some sort of self-devised tuning exercise.
========================================

you...??
>> EDIT: (to clarify...)
The MAIN question is this:
DO YOU play your instruments at home MORE when/if they are SITTING OUTSIDE their cases/bags...??

JRaymo

Re: instruments setting out - at the ready

Post by JRaymo »

Yes,

My 1924 Holton Eb helicon hangs on the wall and gets more play time then my much easier to play, much more in tune Willson 3400.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I do.

But my kids are four and six years old, so that's an impossibility to leave it sitting out of the case, and not expect some sort of damage. So, it's in the case. And so, I don't play very much. meh
MartinMan
Has thanked: 0

Post by MartinMan »

Without a doubt.

All the instruments I play regularly, I have either on stands or hanging from the wall, often with mouthpieces already in, so that all I have to do is pick them up and go. I've even got my main horn on a playing/holding combo stand right behind me at my desk, so that I'm always just a chair swivel away from being able to play at any time while I'm at my computer.

in fact, every instrument that I own that lives in its case primarily is currently for sale, since that's a telltale sign that they don't get played enough.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

My horns only go in their cases if I'm taking them somewhere. Otherwise they sit out, mouthpieces right next to them. Chair and stand already set up. Gotta remove any and all obstacles to just sitting and playing.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
bloke (Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:11 pm)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I leave them both out, in my basement, out of the way of dogs, people, etc.

How often I’m down in the basement with them varies. However, they’re out, and I play them.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Have enough gigs/rehearsals during the week that will qualify as "practice" so the horns don't sit so long in their padded coffins. :huh:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Even for several so-called “major orchestras“ (according to “how’s-the-weather” chat that I routinely have with a few people), January is pretty dead, gig-wise.
Congratulations for finding a lot of work in January. 😎👍
It’s the month that I use to try (always unsuccessfully) to catch up on repair work.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

As long as the grandkids are not coming over I always keep 1 brass and 1 string instrument out in my den. Currently it's my new King and my ukulele. An assortment of music is on the stand, but generally I just play some melody that's in my head or an exercise that's memorized. Or I'll holler to Sandy to name some random tune or TV show theme and that'll get me started. An hour can go by pretty quickly that way.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I keep my tuba in a bag or case, since I have little people running around my house :smilie7: I usually practice every day, so for me, it doesn't really matter if the tuba is easily accessible. It would definitely be nice if it was 😃
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Mine has sat out in the living room on a Hercules stand between the couch and the corner table since I got beck into it 5 years ago.

I am convinced it would not be played weekly if it were not. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
hup_d_dup

Post by hup_d_dup »

I leave them all out . . . except . . . a silver plated euphonium.

I don’t like silver plated horns because they tarnish. But the euph doesn’t tarnish as quickly if I keep it in the case.

A nuisance, but less of a nuisance than polishing.

Hup
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

My double bass and sousaphone are proudly displayed on stands in my living room, in the corners of the room on the same wall as the TV.

The bass, a minty Englelhardt ES9, is too dang beautiful to simply let slumber in its bag.

The sousaphone, a mostly-raw-brass '37 Martin Indiana, isn't such a beauty, but there's nowhere else to put it.

A baritone ukulele is always at the ready, enticingly leaning on the TV stand. I grab it and start pickin' while watching TV every now and again.

There's also an organ in the living room. Lately, I've been playing Christmas music--I play a mental game of coming up with impromptu organ settings of holiday tunes I've just heard on the radio.

Other instruments just sit out as objets d'art: a Buescher clarinet with wraparound register key, a very rare Normandy 11 ebonite clarinet, and my Conn 6E alto horn.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Human nature being what it is (and being so afflicted), I leave mine out. I just need to actually be at home to play them. :bugeyes:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

I try to keep at least one tuba out the bag most of the time. That makes it easy for an extra 5 to 10 minute mini practice session whenever the opportunity avails itself. Those small opportunities would be lost if everything was kept sealed up.
With kids it gets hazardous, all have done at least some minor damage. My first Cerveny F (with the quint valve) had adjustable tension clock springs. I remember when my daughter (17 now) toddled over to it and began turning the adjusting screws until one by one the nearly inaccessible clocksprings snapped. I stopped her after I heard the second one pop.
My oldest tossed a full sippy cup on a soft Mirafone bell putting a sizeable ding in it. I don't think my third child had done any major damage that I directly know of - of course I periodically find dings that can't be explained.
Just days after my new-to-me Cerveny F arrived, my current 2 yr old got too close with his play vacuum and put a nice little crease in the back of the bell before I could stop him. He also likes to mess with the tuning pegs on my G&L bass guitar, fortunately loosening them usually.
Not music related: probably the worst case of child vandalism was in a camping trip about 14 years ago. As I am hammering in tent pegs I keep hearing a metallic pinging nearby. My daughter was copying me but using a rock against the side of the minivan.
gionvil

Post by gionvil »

I think that not only keeping the instrument out of the case helps to practice more: even the size of the horn is a factor. I notice that it's much easier to practice at home with my small 3/4 CC than with the 6/4. I need less room, can lift it and spin it much more easily and it's less prone to damages. The only issue is that it's raw brass and out of the bag it tarnishes much more easily ( or at least as long as it's in the bag I can't see it tarnishes...)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Notes; get a smaller, lacquer tuba and keep it out.

Review; Looks like I've done everything right!! :smilie7:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Furguson11

Post by Furguson11 »

Mine are in stands in room at the back door. They usually get a little playing when I let the dog out. Much shorter "rehersals" now that it's winter in Minnesota.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The difference between when I left them out and now when I don't, is felines. Perhaps not as bad as kids because they don't pick them up, but rambuctiousness can cause them (intruments) to meet the floor in an unfriendly way. But I do note that having to get them out and put them together, etc, etc, ... they are played much less. Especially the picky ones that need things like reeds soaked.
humBell

Post by humBell »

Being out next to my place of sitting is not sufficient for me to play regularly.

Alas...

Woe is me.
"All art is one." -Hal