Laskey g cup on rotary tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MikeMason

Laskey g cup on rotary tubas

Post by MikeMason »

Anyone tried 30g or 32g on a big rotor tuba? Still looking for my big miraphone b flat.

Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
Sharp
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Laskey g cup on rotary tubas

Post by Sharp »

The new 30g works great on my HB2 and on the MRP-C. Haven't tried any other rotary tubas with it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

A 30G should definitely be in the running for consideration. They work well on most large rotary BBb tubas.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

If you like the 30G, but think maybe you want a little more heft.... maybe try the 30B as well, since they are available again.

Also, you might look at the Selmanberger Symphony or the Lubemaster Super G (which is a very slightly larger 30G with a slightly wider rim).
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I have and have used a symphony for years. That is my current go to. I’m just not sure it’s the perfect fit, but it definitely works.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

It works well. For me, I find on rotary tubas, larger mouthpieces work better on larger tubas.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The “big tuba with smaller mp” idea works fine on 6/4 CC BATs, but BARTs (especially kaiser-esque BBbs) seem to like big mps. I use a blown up/extended Solo for mine. I like the color and “power attitude” better than the Symphony, although the Symphony works very well. The 30G provides a lot of color and a full sound, but it didn’t have as much deep-cylinder-cup @$$-stomping, almost-angry sound quality I wanted out of the Hagen. Strangely, the 30B did not provide the “30G and more” experience I hoped for.

You sometimes just have to experiment a bit to find what works for you and your particular instrument. But doing research ahead of time and getting in the ballpark of possibilities helps!

And as always, YMMV.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

On my rotary Willson 3050, the WH-B2 provided the @$$ stomping sound that Doc describes. The Geib was nice. But when does "nice" ever get you where you really want to be?

Overall, the Thein RCC has provided me with the best overall mix of bigness, control, and sound. It was GREAT on the large B&S's that I had, the Willson, and really nice on the Rudy 5/4.

Sigh... I've had an awful lot of really nice, really big tubas go through my hands over the past 7 or 8 years.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:50 pm)
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

Smaller (or shallower, or otherwise more restricted) mouthpiece on a big tuba sorta works to tighten up the sound....kinda. it's like a "scooped out" tone as a guitarist would say, where there's lots of lows and highs without much in the middle. So the tuba has good bass with a bit of splash/bite. It'll do the job no question and it's a sound that's in style. The splash/bite may become an issue when you really want to hammer, depending on tastes.
matt g

Post by matt g »

A hot take for low cash on a big rotary horn might be a Bach 7*. Megatone variant offers a slightly larger throat, although that may be unwarranted.

Rates of taper usually vary between large rotary tubas versus large piston tubas. For that reason, I think the smaller volume up front works for horns with a more rapid taper.

In addition to that, funnels seem to match up with pistons a bit better and cups (or Geib which is a hybrid approach) with rotors.

However, that’s all subject to change depending on the individual characteristics of the horn and the player’s sound concept (along with strengths and weaknesses).

*I don’t know about now, but years ago (even with the desired “bold stamp” Bach mouthpieces), you sometimes needed to sit with a few examples of the same mouthpiece as they would have noticeable differences. The most striking was when I was playing bass trombone a lot and wanted something a tad more manageable than the Schilke 60s I had (one in silver plate and another in gold… both identical in feel otherwise). I was at a shop that had a few Bach 1Gs. One of them had a visually different throat diameter (larger). That’s the one I picked, and subsequently used, for many years. A few other people found it to be a bit “magical” as well. A happy mistake, as it were. I know back then that Bach could make custom mouthpieces, especially for trumpet, but usually they’d be marked at least on the box, if not stamped, noting a different throat or back bore.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I ordered a 32g to try. In a lot of ways, the horn wants the miraphone c4,not the tu23,definitely different, but I’m resisting. The one I have is old and beat up, but the horn is more alive with it. I just feel a bit outgunned. Might not sound that way out front. Blokepiece symphony for now.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Is the 32G new? I really only remember the 30G and 28G... But maybe I just forgot!
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

It’s in the price list. I ordered. Not sure if they really exist yet.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MikeMason wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:28 pm It’s in the price list. I ordered. Not sure if they really exist yet.
Cool! Tell us how it goes!
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Update: I didn’t love the 32g on the big miraphone, but it’s great on the new Eastman 825vg. Got a 32b on order to try. Same rim, deeper bowl cup. We’ll see.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MikeMason wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:06 pm Update: I didn’t love the 32g on the big miraphone, but it’s great on the new Eastman 825vg. Got a 32b on order to try. Same rim, deeper bowl cup. We’ll see.
Cool, but don't wait a year and a half to tell us this time. :laugh:
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I had a few conversations with Scott Laskey several years ago regarding mouthpiece selections. I told him that I was playing a Mirafone 186 rotary valve, and what type of playing I was doing. His immediate response was, "You need a 28G! You could also use a 28H, but the 28G will give you a little more pop at the beginning of the note." He passed away shortly after that, and I wasn't able to find the 28G, so I settled on the 28H till one became available. Now, I have one. The G definitely is my favorite. Comfortable rim, great response. Scott was right on!!

You might call Eastman and ask if you can use a tryout kit for a few weeks. They contain a number of mouthpieces, in both American and European shanks. I was lucky enough to get in touch with the Laskey rep for the northeast, and she let me use two complete sets for quite awhile.

I don't know which tuba you're wanting it for, but this little tidbit of info might help you in your search. PM me if you would like a little more info regarding the Laskey rep.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Mike, I have tried 30 some mouthpieces since I retired. I have not tried the two you are asking about, however. I tried to love the Symphony, but kept going back to my Mt Vernon Bach 18 I had played for 45 years. On a lark, I tried the Solo. It was too something (can't put my finger on it ) and just didn't work for me on my new Alex, but did with my 184. When I bought something else from Joe, I also got an extender. BOOM! The Solo with an extender is the ticket for me. I finally found a new "go to" - likely for life. As someone else just said - go smaller with the big horn, it may just surprise you. Another you may try in a Giddings Baer MMVI if you like wider and deeper and MUCH heavier. Sorry - I didn't answer your question, but you may want to look in a non-intuitive direction!
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
JohnMillerTuba
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JohnMillerTuba »

The 30G is fantastic on the Eastman 825 rotary Bb. Being mostly a piston valve tuba player that uses funnel cup mouthpieces, the G cup is the most comfortable setup to play on.