ITEC 2023 Proposals

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Stephen Shoop
Has thanked: 0

ITEC 2023 Proposals

Post by Stephen Shoop »

Seeking information about proposals (clinic session and/or performance) that were rejected. Please PM or email me- stephen_shoop@yahoo.com. Thanks.

russiantuba

Re: ITEC 2023 Proposals

Post by russiantuba »

@Stephen Shoop are you involved with ITEA or the conference? I am legitimately curious on who decided invited performers. I didn’t apply after the messes of 2016 in the proposal process and asked for feedback then and no one gave any information in that mess and have elected to not since then because of this.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

I’ve seen a number of people who felt they would surely be invited bitterly complain publicly that they were not.

Thought that was a bit odd yet possibly telling.

New blood presenting would nice. Seems like there’s frequently a lot of repeat presenters and students of repeat presenters presenting.

Looking forward to seeing the line up.

For the record, I was NOT picked to present! Again!

Of course, I didn’t submit a proposal. Again! :smilie2:
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:35 pm I’ve seen a number of people who felt they would surely be invited bitterly complain publicly that they were not.

Aaron Tindall seems to have placed about 70% of the recent tuba/euph job winners. I'd be interested in what he has to say. Apparently "the committee" is not.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
gnimoyw (Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:34 am)
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

UncleBeer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:52 pm
YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:35 pm I’ve seen a number of people who felt they would surely be invited bitterly complain publicly that they were not.

Aaron Tindall seems to have placed about 70% of the recent tuba/euph job winners. I'd be interested in what he has to say. Apparently "the committee" is not.
Maybe take a lesson?

With the success you mention, he probably doesn’t need their approval. Lots of great folks out there.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:59 pm Maybe take a lesson?
Thank you for your wisdom.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
bloke (Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:45 am)
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:59 pm
UncleBeer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:52 pm

Maybe take a lesson?

With the success you mention, he probably doesn’t need their approval. Lots of great folks out there.

“ITEA is a volunteer organization”. I volunteer for the section I head, no pay. Some positions are paid, but the conference performers, for the most part (sans large ensembles and accompanying groups) are not paid. I have talked to people involved with conferences for other instruments that performers in medium market orchestras and universities ask for payment to present or perform in the same town as the conference.

You have two successful full time orchestral players and teachers in this case wanting to perform that have made it public and other names wanting and willing to travel on their own dime to present and are denied. Depending on the event, the performers have to pay accompanists (I use electronics to avoid this). I know one was traveling from over seas. I’ve heard of other established names declined that haven’t been so vocal.

Some of the better regional events I’ve been to have used multiple spaces, including ensemble rooms, lobbies, even outdoor areas to have ensembles and soloists perform to accommodate as many willing to present and perform to give attendees options, at much smaller schools than ASU. There also seems to be no guidelines on who accepts proposals or the criteria within ITEA. I’ve sent bios before, pure invitation by email, and full proposal processes.
Dr. James M. Green
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
www.russiantuba.com
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

UncleBeer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:17 pm
YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:59 pm Maybe take a lesson?
Thank you for your wisdom.
:thumbsup:
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

I guess I just don’t get this approach. Not everyone will get picked. They have to balance the program some way. Their goals/focus shift from year to year. In years gone by, people would resubmit for the next conference if they felt they still had something pertinent to present.

Glad I don’t have to make these kinds of calls. Especially today.
Doug

Post by Doug »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:58 am I guess I just don’t get this approach. Not everyone will get picked. They have to balance the program some way. Their goals/focus shift from year to year. In years gone by, people would resubmit for the next conference if they felt they still had something pertinent to present.

I think the problem many people have with this process is the lack of transparency. There were things said by members of the conference committee on social media that didn't align with the schedule they just released.
Doug Black
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Mark

Post by Mark »

Did I read the Request for Presentations correctly? If accepted, the presenter still has to pay the attendance fee?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Sorry about the failed proposal. Some chicks just don't wanna get married. :coffee:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
cjk (Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:37 pm)
matt g

Post by matt g »

Mark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:54 pm Did I read the Request for Presentations correctly? If accepted, the presenter still has to pay the attendance fee?
lolwut

If this is true, it’s a bad look.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Mark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:54 pm Did I read the Request for Presentations correctly? If accepted, the presenter still has to pay the attendance fee?
Has been the case for a long time. In general, when presenting we get a discounted rate (at least in my experiences). The discount isn’t much off, sometimes $5-$10 (speaking from the regional perspective). Some events for ITEA make you pay for an accompanist if your program uses piano (others include it).

In addition, when collegiate ensembles are invited, each member of the ensemble has to not only pay the admission fee, but they have to sign up to be a member of ITEA if they are not invited.
Dr. James M. Green
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
www.russiantuba.com
Tubaru
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tubaru »

I remember after James Gourlay took over as president an informal survey was sent out asking what ITEA could do better. I wonder if what we are seeing for this conference is a result of that and is possibly an overcorrection to those results. I have never been able to go to a conference because they were either too far away, travel was too expensive, or they were held at a time I could not go. Notice again that the start of this conference coincides with Memorial Day travel.

After looking at the schedule this is one conference that I see nothing of interest in. There has to be a balance of new blood and old established presenters/performers. This is not it, the presentation topics nor the list of performers just do not peak my interest. It's a shame considering they should be having a big gala for the 50th anniversary.
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Some years back, a regional required all attendees to be members including parents accompanying their children to the conference as well as enthusiast’s spouses. These ancillary folk were, of course, also required to pay full conference fees. When inquiries were made, the response was that the target audience for these conferences are college students. Is this still the case? Just curious.
Mark

Post by Mark »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:35 pm ...the target audience for these conferences are college students. Is this still the case?
Well, I graduated from college many years ago and I can tell you that I am not the target audience for this conference. There is very little on that schedule the interests me and it is certainly not worth my time or money.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:35 pm Some years back, a regional required all attendees to be members including parents accompanying their children to the conference as well as enthusiast’s spouses. These ancillary folk were, of course, also required to pay full conference fees. When inquiries were made, the response was that the target audience for these conferences are college students. Is this still the case? Just curious.
Kennesaw State did, but they also said that for insurance reasons (probably to account for anyone in case of emergency) that they had to. My wife came to the first few I presented at; we kind of made a quick trip out of them, she would help me carry stuff and calm me down because I would get quite nervous in front of people that would attend. I asked the hosts of those if my wife could come to record and assist without paying and they let her, because when I was at tuba events dorking out, she would be at the hotel or in a library working.
Dr. James M. Green
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
www.russiantuba.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I guess the only thing I have to say about any of those comments is

T.U.B.A.

I've never seen something get its name changed without having that thing being fundamentally changed in just about every imaginable way. Rarely have I seen something change for the better.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 4):
UncleBeer (Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:35 pm) • russiantuba (Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:43 pm) • graybach (Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 pm) • cktuba (Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:44 pm)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote:I guess I just don’t get this approach. Not everyone will get picked. They have to balance the program some way. Their goals/focus shift from year to year. In years gone by, people would resubmit for the next conference if they felt they still had something pertinent to present.

The issue is what are their goals?

If the stated goals are not reflected in the choices, but unstated goals are, then intelligent people can discern intent (recognizing the difference between motive and intent). Knowing what proposals were rejected is one way of assessing that intent.

Rick “not thinking this conference will be fun as was always the intent of old” Denney