The Way You Look...

YouTuba, links to recordings, art, anything media related
bloke
Mid South Music

The Way You Look...

Post by bloke »

These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 5):
windshieldbug (Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:37 pm) • Jperry1466 (Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:53 pm) • bowerybum (Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:58 am) • hrender (Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:19 am) • The Big Ben (Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:15 pm)

bowerybum

Re: The Way You Look...

Post by bowerybum »

From the NYT obit.........................................
Frank Sinatra, whom Mr. Bennett counted as a mentor and friend, once put it another way.“For my money, Tony Bennett is the best singer in the business,” he told Life magazine in 1965. “He excites me when I watch him. He moves me. He’s the singer who gets across what the composer has in mind, and probably a little more.”
Most simply, perhaps, the composer and critic Alec Wilder said about Mr. Bennett’s voice, “There is a quality about it that lets you in.”
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Some years ago I played bass in a small dance band: 3 sax, two trumpets, bone & rhythm. My electric bass was, in spite of best efforts, driving the band too hard. This song is what motivated me to purchase a double bass so I could provide the proper foundation to the band. Our arrangement was not as rubato, more akin to the swing Sinatra/Riddle arrangement. Yes, the proper instrument does make all the difference in the foundation. And oh, what an instrument Tony Bennett had!
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Here's Tony Bennett and Bill Evans on a Canadian TV special.
28 minutes of bliss. IMHO Bill Evans was the most amazing musician. In deference to Bennett, Evans sticks pretty closely to the melody in his interludes. Evans had a way of reharmonizing standards that was profound yet subtle. Here he knows exactly when to be sparse or orchestral in his accompanying.

These users thanked the author Jim Williams for the post (total 2):
bloke (Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:38 pm) • windshieldbug (Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:52 pm)
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Tom Ferguson (Memphis State Director of Bands - back in the 1960's - 1970's, and the first pianist with the Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort) used those pentatonic scales/chords (with as much frequency) as does Mr. Evans.

Tom had a trio (piano/bass/drums) that works most nights of most weeks at one particular club in Memphis (unless there was a game or a band concert).

I could only find these, the second being a better example of that to which I'm referring...

Please visit and "like"...
instruments: https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79
mouthpieces: https://www.facebook.com/Sellmansbergermouthpieces
2021 - 2024 Border Czar