Miraphone Hagen vs Melton 197/2

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Erik_Sweden

Miraphone Hagen vs Melton 197/2

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Hi,

Any one done a side by side test of Miraphone Hagen (5/4 or 6/4) vs Melton 197/2 ?

/Erik

Miraphone Hagen 497
simonfrisk.tuba
Has thanked: 0

Re: Miraphone Hagen vs Melton 197/2

Post by simonfrisk.tuba »

Yes.

Miraphone is more between a CC and a Kaiser in sound, control and feeling. You can’t compare the sound of 197/2 with anything.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

How could any sort of comparison be made between a manufacturer's 5/4 ~or~ 6/4 size instrument and another manufacturer's 6/4 size instrument (which also happens to be a totally different bell-shaped instrument) ?

I've never played a 197, but they are about the closest to a cylindrical bell as as anything. I've played some other tubas with bells that are much more cylindrical than others, and I know what type of sonority-scape (if that can be a word?) that they tend to produce, so I can only imagine that the 197 is an even more (or much more) exaggerated version of that.
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I believe this video that my YouTube algorithm happened to come across doesn't feature any of the Miraphone Hagens. The Meinl Weston 195 and 196 are featured though, but sadly not 197. And a bunch of Nirshl's I've never heard of before. Actually a loooot of different models are in this video too. But I don't know Japanese. I wonder if A.I. can be used to translate it :huh:

..Moved from the other 5 valve Miraphone vs Meinl Weston 195 thread. Realized it would be slightly more appropriate here.
Last edited by PlayTheTuba on Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

PlayTheTuba wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:23 pm I believe this video that my YouTube algorithm happened to come across doesn't feature any of the Miraphone Hagens. The Meinl Weston 195 and 196 are featured though, but sadly not 197. And a bunch of Nirshl's I've never heard of before. Actually a loooot of different models are in this video too. But I don't know Japanese. I wonder if A.I. can be used to translate it :huh:
Far from perfect, but...

1. Watch the video on a computer.
2. In the description, click "...more"
3. Scroll down a bit and there will be a heading of "Transcript" --> click "Show Transcript"
4. Go back to the "Show Transcript" button from #3 above, right click on it and about half way down that drop down menu will be "Translate to English".
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg (41.8 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Now to the right of the video should be an English translation will only make sense with a bit of interpretation.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
PlayTheTuba (Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:21 pm)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

@York-aholic

Will definitely do that! Thanks
These users thanked the author PlayTheTuba for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:54 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

well just based on computer listening I'll take the Baer. Too bad he didn't play an NStar because i think it would have made that Yamaha 632 look silly.