...the new shallow mouthpiece that I designed (and have sold) for cimbasso

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

...the new shallow mouthpiece that I designed (and have sold) for cimbasso

Post by bloke »

LOL...

I don't know why I'm hyping it (because I sold out except for one or two extra, and would have to have the shop run some more of them), but it's doing so well for (at least) me, that - this Christmas Eve - I'm going to take the F cimbasso to cover the (high tessitura - maybe semi-high, even for bass trombone...G's - G-sharp's...) bass trombone parts, rather than my compensating euphonium.

Seriously...
Even though the cup opening is 32.3mm (a "real" tuba mouthpipe opening width), I've got a reliable "way up there" B-flat with this mouthpiece, and a few more pitches above that (if I practice) which also hold together - sonically - as "real/resonant" pitches.
(After the "way-the-HECK-up there" D, I sorta poop out - soundwise, but probably someone stronger - and who actually practices - could stretch the range of this mouthpiece - with my instrument - even farther...??)

a plus:
Those parts - played - will sound much more like a bass trombone, particularly the "low C's", etc.

jtm

Re: ...the new shallow mouthpiece that I designed (and have sold) for cimbasso

Post by jtm »

I'm enjoying that mouthpiece more than I thought I would at first. It's lively in my ordinary rotary F. I don't feel like the low end suffers, yet the high notes are super easy.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

Interesting. I use a Josef Klier KBP2C (30mm, shallowest cup) in my small bore Eb cimbasso, articulation is a struggle and I play it a lot better with a tuba mp. It's a bass trombone shank though and I also worry about going too deep with the cup. I was recommended a Schilke 62, iirc, a small shank, 32mm-ish mp with a shallow cup and the same rim as my regular tuba mp, a Bach 18. I've thought about trying a KBP1 mp or one of their tuba mps but JK seems to have really slimmed down production and there were a ton of different sizes I'd have to guess on. That 2C is a banger for low range bass trombone and euph playing though, great sound and much clearer than my old Schilke 60.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Bob Kolada wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:37 pm Interesting. I use a Josef Klier KBP2C (30mm, shallowest cup) in my small bore Eb cimbasso, articulation is a struggle and I play it a lot better with a tuba mp. It's a bass trombone shank though and I also worry about going too deep with the cup. I was recommended a Schilke 62, iirc, a small shank, 32mm-ish mp with a shallow cup and the same rim as my regular tuba mp, a Bach 18. I've thought about trying a KBP1 mp or one of their tuba mps but JK seems to have really slimmed down production and there were a ton of different sizes I'd have to guess on. That 2C is a banger for low range bass trombone and euph playing though, great sound and much clearer than my old Schilke 60.
The one of mine that I personally use is my bass trombone shank version.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

These videos (house amplification blurring things plus nothing more than a tablet microphone), are a couple of demos of (the prototype) of the cimbasso mouthpiece.

I just about sold out of them, but have a couple in STANDARD shank and a couple in SMALL shank.
I'll do the introductory $150 + shipping, because these are still from the first run.
- I know that very few own cimbassos.
- I know that most who own them bought Chinese (standard shank) ones.

...but whatever...Here are a couple of (facebook-hosted) videos - for what they're worth.

(I'm covering the 4th 'bone book in - basically - a "Nelson Riddle - style" orchestration.)

https://www.facebook.com/joe.sellmansbe ... 0177347895

https://www.facebook.com/joe.sellmansbe ... 7522889254
(You'll hear my rubber-dog-dish plunger work, on this one.)

I always tag @Three Valves when I put up stuff like this, so...

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:10 pm)