Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Post by bloke »

two services - evening and "midnight" (10:30 P). The organ console pooped out today during the rehearsal. It seems to be a relay somewhere in the console, as the breaker is not thrown past the console. It's a pipe organ, but it still needs electricity. LOL, it's not one from 150 years ago that the organist pumps bellows with his feet.

As I'm typing this, my phone is vibrating with emailed PDF quintet charts to sight read at both services.

They are also right in the middle of a project of rebuilding the steeple - which was leaking water pretty badly. They did a complete restoration and upgrade of the sanctuary/organ/everything just a few years ago, but it didn't occur to them to take a peek up at the steeple, so there are fences and mud everywhere. Guys are out there working even today with copper flashing. The saving grace is that this is one of those churches with a whole bunch of dough.

They are certainly paying me enough. I'm glad to do whatever they need me to do.

The Big Ben

Re: Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:57 pm two services - evening and "midnight" (10:30 P). The organ console pooped out today during the rehearsal. It seems to be a relay somewhere in the console, as the breaker is not thrown past the console. It's a pipe organ, but it still needs electricity. LOL, it's not one from 150 years ago that the organist pumps bellows with his feet.
Could water from the leaky steeple have dripped onto the organ?
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

I've got masses tomorrow at 3, 5, 7, carol service at 11pm, and midnight mass. Need coffee already. :tuba:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Big Ben wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:38 pm
bloke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:57 pm two services - evening and "midnight" (10:30 P). The organ console pooped out today during the rehearsal. It seems to be a relay somewhere in the console, as the breaker is not thrown past the console. It's a pipe organ, but it still needs electricity. LOL, it's not one from 150 years ago that the organist pumps bellows with his feet.
Could water from the leaky steeple have dripped onto the organ?
They are pretty sure it's a relay within the console.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the services, this has become our annual (Yang)-hang (open on xmas eve)...

Last edited by bloke on Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I am sort of proud of myself. I had the second of two American made one-year-old sousaphones (with now-repaired manufacturing defects in the pistons) to drop off at an institution. It was important to me to get this done today, in order to save an extra two-hour round trip into Memphis - as well as the extra gasoline. Everyone was gone, and I had to call security to walk with me to the band director's office and slip the repaired body underneath their desk (out of sight of their office window). I got all this done between 9:55 a.m. and 10:15 a.m., even though they wouldn't allow me to even call them to meet me at the building until I actually arrived and parked (which I really don't understand...??). From there, I made it to my Christmas Eve rehearsal (five minutes away), parked there, unpacked two instruments and some other stuff, and was ready to play five minutes before the rehearsal started (at 10:30). ...It was also good that I was already inside before the contractor showed up with our checks.
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BRS for the post:
bloke (Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:13 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I should be obvious that it's a hole in the wall, but it's a pretty good one. Probably the dad and the son will be there. All the fast food places will have their doors locked and all their employees will be inside having a party and each one of them. The restaurants with waiters and waitresses will be closed. Due to the crime, all of the convenience stores have been closing early as a matter of practice, so there won't even be any roller dogs or heat up hamburgers.
I'm not sure, but I might bring my heater.
Ace

Post by Ace »

UncleBeer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:44 pm I've got masses tomorrow at 3, 5, 7, carol service at 11pm, and midnight mass. Need coffee already. :tuba:
WOW. That is the wildest,busiest schedule I have ever seen.
Ace