Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: 5 Pitches of Tubas

Post by LeMark »

I'm 100% comfortable on every instrument listed except for F tuba, which I've never owned or played for more than 2 minutes at a convention showroom floor

I played only CC from 1988 to 2013, when I got my first concert Eb. I had an Eb Sousa before that
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I probably play jillions more notes per gig on the 3+1 comp E-flat, but I suck at reading and playing E-flat (having only done the "pretend I'm reading trumpet music" thing)...

The thing is this:

I never use the E-flat when playing gigs where there's sheet music.

I went several years (admittedly, it was quite a while back) only owning an F tuba...so - if I had to show up having no idea what I'm expected to play - that's what I'd bring.
Last edited by bloke on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Eb, without a doubt. I can get by, but playing BBb, CC and F is like putting on an old glove. Eb is more like an ill-fitting oven mitt. That said, I really like a lot of Eb tubas and I've worked to get better at reading on them.
Blake
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

Eb

I play BBb mostly, but read transposed parts (as normal around here) so playing CC with a concert pitch part should be fine, for the fingerings at least.

I also play F tuba, but read concert pitch parts for that.
humBell

Post by humBell »

Definitely still working on C (at least to be totally fluid/fluent) though that is complicated by the C options having more valves to incorporate, as no valves should be left behind (not that have anything against bugling), but F is the only one haven't logged flight time on.
"All art is one." -Hal
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Cc seems to give me trouble, still.

Like most people here in the US, I started on Bb.

In college I was pushed to switch to Cc and really struggled with the change. Played Cc exclusively for several years. Life pushed me away from playing for about 15 years. Started back up on my Cc. No problems.

Last year I switched back to Bb to give my old king some exercise, not too difficult. Been playing on this newly acquired, repair in process Eb fairly easily.

Last week, picked up my Cc (after about a year off it) and have been struggling with it again.

I intend to work on being able to switch keys/horns on a regular basis. So far, I'm really surprised at how well I am doing with it.

Have never tried an F tuba, nor does it really interest me to do so. I really like the Eb.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

F is what I have the least experience with. I played one for a little while in college. I switched to CC in college as well, but had to sell my 186 in CC shortly after graduating (no one told me that a teacher's first paycheck doesn't come until the end of September) and went back to BBb.

I picked up an Eb super cheap about 10 years ago and have since built myself a 5 valve Eb that I love. I'm planning on building a CC for my next project.

I might build an F one day, just to say I did, but we'll see.
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

F tuba.

My original plan with a Eb Tuba is to cheat and play it like a 3 valve BBb tuba until I got more comfortable. But instead I ended having to learn to pay in the of D.

Learning how to play in CC, which is right in-between BBb and D is not fun for my brain :laugh:

Plus, I'd rather own another Eb even if it sounds like an F. Where I was going to buy something smaller than a 4/4 CC tuba. I haven't convinced myself or really care that much about F tubas in general. I should try some though, just to see what I'm missing out on.
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

I can read euph in treble clef fine but all the ledger lines in bass clef when playing wiggle finger music gets my eyeballs floating in my sockets. Euph music seems higher than low tuba music seems low. 😂
Snake Charmer

Post by Snake Charmer »

Playing Eb, Bb saxhorn and french C tuba for decades my challenge would be the BBb tuba. I never got warm with them! Reading and fingering are not the problem, but it doesn't feel right to me. It seems not to be the sheer length, I felt quite good when I tried an EEb sub-contra-bass!
My F is still bit of a challenge to me, but I am getting better with the reading and different fingering (all my different keys have different fingerings! :facepalm2:
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Euphonium for sure.

Not trying to be funny either, being so high pitched and small bore and playing countermelodies... Ugh, forget it. It'll be a disaster.

Eb was the last one for me to learn, and even that, like always, was just time behind the mouthpiece to build "do this, to sound like that" kinds of automaticity.
eeflattuba

Post by eeflattuba »

F would be the most challenging.Owned a yamaha 621F for a brief period.Never got on with it.My ee flat besson 981 gets the most mileage and use.A do it all instument.
tclements

Post by tclements »

Ya know, I have a G tuba, and a DD tuba as well.
These users thanked the author tclements for the post:
jtm (Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:13 pm)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I cant believe I forgot about Contrabass bugle in G! Of course, the corps music I recall was all written in treble clef and all the horns were in G. So it was basically trumpet fingerings and memorization. Never tried reading regular tuba sheetmusic on the G. Or, it should be Gg?

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tclements wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:53 pm Ya know, I have a G tuba, and a DD tuba as well.
And didn't vote for either of them :laugh:

Honestly though, could you please share a few photos sometime?
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

Grumpikins wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:10 pm Never tried reading regular tuba sheetmusic on the G. Or, it should be Gg?

Every so often I will tape down 3rd valve on a BBb and play some old drum corps parts for shirts and giggles.

A guy I know transposed the Tuba Christmas book and brings a couple of friends to play on GG Contra and G bass bugles.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Conn 20J
MW 20
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
Holton Medium Eb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I've been kicking myself hard. Last summer my wife came across an old 2 valve contra in decent shape at a local estate sale for $50. She asked me if I wanted it, I stupidly said no....kick!kick!kick!

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Grumpikins wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:02 pm I've been kicking myself hard. Last summer my wife came across an old 2 valve contra in decent shape at a local estate sale for $50. She asked me if I wanted it, I stupidly said no....kick!kick!kick!

Nah, I think it was the right choice.

Things like that just go from one estate sale to the next. :laugh:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
jtm (Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:14 pm)
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Snake Charmer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:11 am Playing Eb, Bb saxhorn and french C tuba for decades my challenge would be the BBb tuba.
Yep. After learning the smaller tubas, the BBb (pretty much any BBb, with extremely rare exceptions) is like having a ball & chain around my ankle.