Proud Papa but also a little bittersweet

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gocsick

Proud Papa but also a little bittersweet

Post by gocsick »

So it is official.... My son, a sophomore in high school, is now without question the better tuba player. I have been struggling with a tricky lick for a part for few days, and the little s@#*t sits down and plays it super clean first go. Completely infuriating!!! I know when I am beaten, I pass the crown willingly.

I knew this day would come. He is an excellent pianist with a great ear. He doubles on the double bass and is in multiple school and audition/honor ensembles for both instruments. At least I am still taller... for a few more weeks.

Of course I take full credit for his natural talent by carefully selecting another tuba player as my wife and partner thereby concentrating the low brass genes in the family line.... and of course setting the stage by starting him young with the piano lessons and carefully steering hm towards the right band instrument etc.

A not so humble brag, from a proud papa.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post (total 9):
jonesbrass (Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 pm) • LeMark (Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:46 pm) • Jperry1466 (Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 pm) • bloke (Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:54 pm) • Mary Ann (Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:21 pm) and 4 more users

As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Conn 20J
MW 20
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
Holton Medium Eb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
York-aholic

Re: Proud Papa but also a little bittersweet

Post by York-aholic »

That is awesome and I’m glad you’re taking it so well.

When I was a kid, my dad and I played chess quite a bit until one day, I finally was able to win one match. That ‘one’ time was the last time he would play with me.

I haven’t played much at all since then either, come to think about it.

:laugh:
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
gocsick (Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 am)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BRS for the post (total 2):
sweaty (Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:33 am) • York-aholic (Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 pm)
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

My opinion........
Good parents always want their offspring to turn out better than themselves. Not only that, but good parents always work at facilitating things toward that goal. It's not an easy job by any stretch and it may be costly, monetarily....... but it's always worth the investment.

Congrats Dad!!! You and your wife are "a success!!!" That's something that isn't always so popular these days.
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post:
gocsick (Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I just hope I'm always older than my sons. So far, so good.

Otherwise, if they choose to do the same things that I do -- and it's all up to them -- then I sure hope.they are better than me. Otherwise, I'll feel like I've done a bad job teaching and supporting them.

That is, I was on my own figuring out all of this stuff... tuba, graduate school, drywall... Nobody else in my family knows or did any of that. If my kids want to learn any of that, I can give them a much better starting point than I ever had.

PS -- congrats about your kid, that's really pretty cool. :)
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
gocsick (Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 am)