It's almost fixed!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

It's almost fixed!

Post by BopEuph »

So, a year ago, I finished subbing on a tour with Chicago the Musical for three months with my Conn 12J. The horn is so great for that kind of music, that I was loathe to get rid of it. Decided to ship the valves out for an overhaul for a really great price. They're finally on their way back, and I'm going to have the horn reassembled next week.

Besides the piston/casing replating, they also disassembled every solder joint, realigned all the sides, reassembled, and added a brushed brass lacquer to it. It's probably going to look better than the body ever will.

I love my 5/4 Kanstul, but it's overkill for about 75% of the stuff I do. And it's about thrice the weight.

Can't wait to have this guy back!

These users thanked the author BopEuph for the post (total 2):
BRS (Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:23 pm) • Jperry1466 (Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm)

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Tubajug

Re: It's almost fixed!

Post by Tubajug »

It's nice to see one of those in good shape! Usually the bells are wrinkled/creased/torn/patched/etc, the bodies are smashed, tubing is out of whack, braces are bent/broken. I look forward to seeing finished photo!
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Well, this was an old high school horn. The bell has been rolled out a number of times that it's really thin, there were numerous dents pulled after I got it, and the reason the valve block was sent off is because some of the slides were so out of alignment it needed a full overhaul just so the 3rd slide could be pulled. The 3rd valve stem popped out of the threading right in the middle of a dress rehearsal with the official Chicago musical, making me play the tuba parts for the rest of the act on my bass until I could figure out what happened.The stem did it a couple more times during the tour, but I knew how to pop it back into the piston. Pistons would hang if I held them down longer than a whole note, and no amount of valve oil or baths was helping. I'm pretty sure he dismantled just about anything that was fastened in any manner on that block, then reassembled it.

That being said, it's been a great player for certain gigs, and I can't wait to see how much better it plays. Like a local friend said, my Kanstul is like an upright bass, and the Conn is like an electric bass.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

You can probably get rid of that wiped solder (around the bottom bow joints) using (progressively) 250 - 600 - 1000 (probably good enough, but then if you choose) - 1500 grit sandpaper. Squirt valve oil on the instrument - when using the 1000/1500.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

Happy Campers! That's what I like. 3v horns are good for lots of purposes.

And, "Hip, hip, hurrah" for light weight!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

bloke wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:14 am You can probably get rid of that wiped solder (around the bottom bow joints) using (progressively) 250 - 600 - 1000 (probably good enough, but then if you choose) - 1500 grit sandpaper. Squirt valve oil on the instrument - when using the 1000/1500.
I ended up with another round of aircraft paint stripper, which got the last remnants, but utterly destroyed the patina.

At least, I think the last pieces of the lacquer are gone, or maybe some parts are just not coming off with the stuff...I really can't tell because either way, it's still shiny there.

As for physical stripping, the bell is like paper thin now, and it sucks because there's not a lot of bell replacement options for the Conn 5/12J series, unless I want to drop like $900 on it for a Chinese bell copy. It's recommended I don't take much more of the actual brass off if I can help it.
The Big Ben wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:38 pm Happy Campers! That's what I like. 3v horns are good for lots of purposes.

And, "Hip, hip, hurrah" for light weight!
Absolutely! I did a lot of polka gigs where I played a couple of baritone solos on tuba, and really didn't want to stand with them. I bulked up my left arm because I held my 30+ pound Kanstul. But I still couldn't move very much while playing with that. The Conn is maybe FIFTEEN pounds? And if I'm feeling lazy, it has strap rings on it. I didn't want to add that to my concert tuba.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph