FS/FT: Packer Piston F Tuba JP379F $5000

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tubacorbin

FS/FT: Packer Piston F Tuba JP379F $5000

Post by tubacorbin »

Hello! For sale I have my Packer Piston F. I bought this in 2023 from Dillon Music. It’s a great example of the model and is in like-new condition. Looking to sell or trade for a 4/4-5/4 CC or rotor F. Comes with a hard case and located in Rochester, NY. Selling for $5000.

Message me here or through email at tubacorbin@gmail.com.

Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by tubacorbin on Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

the elephant

Re: FS: Packer Piston F Tuba JP379F

Post by the elephant »

Is that a copy of the Adams F? It looks a *lot* like mine, and if it is then that is a big selling point, as the Adams is quite a good tuba, being an updated version of the Hirsbrunner HB-10.

Best of luck. It is a very attractive tuba that ought to sell fairly soon. The hard case is excellent looking, too, BTW.

Wade
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

The Packer F is a Meinl-Weston 2250 copy. I played one at Baltimore Brass recently and it was very nice.
Blake
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I suspect that many of those horns are copies or "tributes" to the HB F tubas which stood alone for years for piston Fs with a low register and even response/intonation. The HB design is the oldest of these many F tubas and (IMHO) is itself a variation on the wrap of the Yamaha 621 F, which was the first piston F with a wonderful low range.

This is an interesting topic for discussion. Either way, the tuba for sale in this advert looks to be an excellent instrument.

BUMP for the little piston F tuba. Someone buy this horn!
tubacorbin

Post by tubacorbin »

Thanks, Wade! It's a great horn. I used to own a 2250 and briefly an HB-12 and they are indeed quite similar--and I think the Packer plays as nicely as any of them. It's probably a bit bigger than the HB-10 and Adams F--maybe somewhere in size between the Hirsbrunner 10 and 12 if my memory is correct.
These users thanked the author tubacorbin for the post:
the elephant (Mon May 20, 2024 9:19 pm)
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

The MW 2250 was based on their piston and rotary Eb tubas (which have a lot Besson Eb tuba in them). This all was happening before the Buffet mixing bowl was filled with all their current brands. Gerhard loved how the rotary Eb turned out and it was one of his favorite results. This came straight from him at one of the tuba events around the time the 2250 came out. The HB and Yamaha tubas no doubt also were contributing influences. I’ve never tried one, but have to think the Packers are a nice F tuba given their influences.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yep. I remember playing a 2250 when they were first introduced. It was a year that I was showing mouthpieces down at tmea - having shared the tail end of a booth with a friend with a huge booth. Their booth was right next to the B&S/M-W (pre-Buffet) brass display. My friend was ridiculously late in getting his stuff set up... the last person in the entire arena, and the workers were coming through with the tape and carpet during those after dinner hours. There was nothing to do as far as helping my friend set up his merchandise after helping him set up his display stuff, so I went over and played all those tubas with no other noise in the giant building. I spent a little time playing the 2250, but the instrument sitting there that intrigued me the most was the 4+1 model 195 Fafner piston tuba. I guess that was part of the beginning of my road to B-flat. I sure liked that company before it was sold.
Yes, JP is a 2250 reference/copy. The valve assemblies, slide pairs and slide assemblies out of that particular factory are fit as well as those on European instruments.
tubacorbin

Post by tubacorbin »

Still available :tuba:
tubacorbin

Re: FS/FT: Packer Piston F Tuba JP379F $5000

Post by tubacorbin »

A good amount of interest, but so far no one has pulled the trigger yet. Still available! For trades, most interested in 4/4 or 5/4 CC tubas and willing to include some cash if there is a difference in value. A Miraphone 188 (especially interested in a mid-80s vintage), Rudy 3/4 or 4/4, or Eastman 632/832 would be at the top of the list.