Oktoberfest Tunes/B&S Symphonie

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Oktoberfest Tunes/B&S Symphonie

Post by Doc »

I finally got to test the Symphonie out with the group for which it’s most intended and try and work out any kinks. I recorded some tunes (they are obviously tuba-heavy) and put them in a playlist below if anyone cares to hear how this tuba sounds or if you like fun music. FWIW, this is the F tuba sound I’ve been wanting.

At the end of October in a normal year, we sound like a well-oiled machine, and we are wired tight. This year, however, not so much - this the second gig since March, so there are a few warts here and there with everyone, me included. And as the day went on (and temperatures changed), I was fighting pitch. The accordion tended to go flat, and I was going sharp, and that is obvious in some later tunes despite continuously pulling out. And I had the occasional squirrelly note because I was being mentally lazy or I didn’t push the paddle down all the way, or was just off. But I always enjoy it. Plus, I get to let my hair down in small spots occasionally, so it’s extra fun. And as a bonus, I do get a few lead sheets for tunes I don’t know well (no written tuba parts).

Regardless, we actually had a gig, the crowd was great, we had fun, we got paid, and they want us back.

Playlist is here:
Auf Geht’s
Last edited by Doc on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
MN_TimTuba (Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:49 pm) • Dents Be Gone! (Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:19 am)

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
prairieboy1

Re: Oktoberfest Tunes

Post by prairieboy1 »

Thanks so much for posting these video clips! The tuba sounds terrific and the tuba playing is what I and many others aspire to reach. Superb sense of time and the right notes in the right places. Your Symphonie F is a perfect fit. Well Done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Doc

Re: Oktoberfest Tunes

Post by Doc »

prairieboy1 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:40 pm Thanks so much for posting these video clips! The tuba sounds terrific and the tuba playing is what I and many others aspire to reach. Superb sense of time and the right notes in the right places. Your Symphonie F is a perfect fit. Well Done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You’re kind to say that. :cheers:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Re: Oktoberfest Tunes/B&S Symphonie

Post by jtm »

That's a really nice sound! Did you have a stereo mic on your phone, too?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am That's a really nice sound! Did you have a stereo mic on your phone, too?
Thanks.

The mic is whatever comes on an iPhone XS Max. Nothing external was used. You can hear it limit/compress when the pressure gets too high with the full band (which can be really annoying when recording in small spaces), but it’s not bad in open areas.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Uuuuugh, that makes me want an F tuba! I just love that F tuba sound when it's not wasted on playing silly nonsense tuba solos! :smilie8:
matt g

Post by matt g »

Great playing, @Doc!
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Even your vocalist and drummer are good!! :thumbsup:

I listened to this through my wife’s stereo last night, Wow!! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Doc

Post by Doc »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:45 am Even your vocalist and drummer are good!! :thumbsup:

I listened to this through my wife’s stereo last night, Wow!! :tuba:
Thanks. That means you got past the first song or two. The problem with a playlist is that most people listen to the first tune, maybe two, but they miss the meat and potatoes that follow. Some of the better tunes are way down the playlist.

I put those particular first couple of tunes at the beginning because the tuba is easily heard, but the drawback is you can hear all the mistakes. LOL

But if folks go farther down the list, Trompetenecho, Die Fischerin von Bodensee, Ein Fest der Musik, and Pennsylvania Polka have some tuba stuff, some fast stuff, and some of the others have some bass lines that are partnering with accordion.

I am not as fond of how it sounds through my car stereo as much as I am through a good pair of headphones. Shamefully, I don’t really have a nice home stereo anymore, but I wish I did. Glad you liked it, warts and all
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

matt g wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:57 am Great playing, @Doc!
Thanks. :cheers:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Post by jtm »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 am Uuuuugh, that makes me want an F tuba! I just love that F tuba sound when it's not wasted on playing silly nonsense tuba solos! :smilie8:
So, ... is that the F tuba sound? (asking as someone without a proper tuba education)
It's like the Lonely Goatherd sound.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 am Uuuuugh, that makes me want an F tuba! I just love that F tuba sound when it's not wasted on playing silly nonsense tuba solos! :smilie8:
:thumbsup:

I am a tuba junkie, and I love everything tuba, but I agree that solo music is not the be-all-end-all in all of tubadom.

In the tuba world, solos have their place, but it is actually an incredibly small portion of what tuba players actually do, with some notable-but-rare exceptions. And I do enjoy listening to some of those rare exceptions regularly, but I listen almost daily to F tuba played in German brass bands. Those guys make my kind of work seem so galdarned stinkin easy!

From my perch atop my tall soapbox, it occurs to me that, with the CC/F snobbery that still exists all across the US, you would think F tuba would get more play, more use. Strangely, the CC/F elitists have compartmentalized F tuba (solos, quintet, orchestra) in the same way they have compartmentalized BBb (little kids and amateurs) and Eb (brass banders, Brits, ancient history). But then again, other types of “not-legit” music often aren’t taken seriously by those same elites, so there is no need to promote F tuba in other types of music. Or so it seems... Heck, I just want to use the right tool for the job.

*gratuitous name-dropping and cheap bona fides*
@Alex C heard me play at Tomball German Fest a few years ago. He didn’t realize it was F tuba. When I mentioned it, he was very complimentary. I really took that to heart, as I admire him as a player and think highly of his opinions. But he agreed that F tuba can definitely be used effectively in blasmusik and Oktoberfest-style music. He also stated that those Germans know what they are doing. He was schlepping around a 6/4 BMB at the end of a long, hot day, so I’m sure he meant what he said. :teeth:

Doc (Who thinks the idea of F tuba being strictly a “solo” instrument or for certain pieces in orchestra is a bunch of happy horse hockey)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

jtm wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 pm
So, ... is that the F tuba sound? (asking as someone without a proper tuba education)
It's like the Lonely Goatherd sound.
I'm not sure it is THE F tuba sound, nor do I think there is a singular definitive F tuba sound. However, I really like THIS F tuba sound. Clear and full and resonant, but lighter. I forget the exact quote, but something like "the sound of a large man walking lightly."
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Post by hup_d_dup »

Doc wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:00 pm
The problem with a playlist is that most people listen to the first tune, maybe two, but they miss the meat and potatoes that follow. Some of the better tunes are way down the playlist.
If you didn't get to Trompetenecho you missed some impressive playing.

Hup
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

hup_d_dup wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:27 am
Doc wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:00 pm
The problem with a playlist is that most people listen to the first tune, maybe two, but they miss the meat and potatoes that follow. Some of the better tunes are way down the playlist.
If you didn't get to Trompetenecho you missed some impressive playing.

Hup
:thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Lch3

Post by Lch3 »

Thanks for sharing, Doc. You seem to play with great ease and relaxed (nonchalant even) producing a pleasing rich tone. Great job!

Curious, was there a microphone on the tuba or did it project well enough in the venue on its own?

Thanks.
Doc

Post by Doc »

hup_d_dup wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:27 am If you didn't get to Trompetenecho you missed some impressive playing.
Well, I'm working at it anyway. It's kinda like high notes - If you hit it, you're a hero. If you miss it, you're a bum. But at least we go down swinging.
Lch3 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 am Thanks for sharing, Doc. You seem to play with great ease and relaxed (nonchalant even) producing a pleasing rich tone. Great job!
Curious, was there a microphone on the tuba or did it project well enough in the venue on its own?
We run everything through the PA. I use a Shure instrumental clip-on mic - Shure PGA98H-XLR Clip-on Condenser Microphone It reproduces the tuba sound clearly and it has great low frequency response. The only thing I might do different is get the wireless option. If I ever add a helicon to the mix, that's exactly what I'll do.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

always liked Anneliese
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:09 am always liked Anneliese
It's a goodern!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

I had one of these playing last night when my wife walked in the room. She normally doesn't have much to say about the music I listen to, but she did then. "Wow! That tuba sounds really nice."
These users thanked the author sdloveless for the post:
Doc (Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:55 pm)
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."