Slide Lubricants

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Beyond16
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slide Lubricants

Post by Beyond16 »

jtuba wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:03 pm @Beyond16

A few questions if you'll indulge me

So looking at your pic you prefer 5000 CST?
What is your ratio for mixture?
With what recipe you've settled on, what consistency results? Herman's tuning slide grease vs the ultra slide grease (super thick white stuff)?

Thanks
The 5000 CST is from my trumpet days. It's probably too thick for tuba unless you want super tight slides. I used it for a while, but my arms got sore from emptying the water. Even for trumpet, it's only suitable for the main tuning slide, and not the ones you move while playing. For the tuba tuning slides, the CST 1000 is a better choice. At my skill level, I don't move any slide while playing, so the CST 1000 is good for all the slides.
These users thanked the author Beyond16 for the post:
jtuba (Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 am)

Worth

Post by Worth »

For simplicity I've settled on using Aquaphor for my tuning slides. It's readily available in any local store, functions well, can also be used on lips after playing or in wintertime, and has no discernable odor.
Active ingredient: Petrolatum (41%)
Inactive ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
tofu

Post by tofu »