2+3 5th valve on an F tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Has this ever been done? My old Miraphone 184 was the vintage that was 2+3 for the 5th valve, and I far prefer that to the more modern way of doing the 5th valve. I liked being able to use that 5th valve for Ab scale notes on the 184, and wonder if I would like an F tuba better if it had the same set-up for the Db scale. Like, get another MW 182 and get a 2+3 5th valve slide made for it (pipe dreams again, but maybe my pipe will be lit again sometime.)

bisontuba

Re: 2+3 5th valve on an F tuba?

Post by bisontuba »

My Frankentuba Cerveny F has the 2+3 5th valve...the more I use it, the better I like it...
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

My Mirafone 180 F had one of those, but a previous owner had it cut to a flat M2 for some reason.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It only requires a "pretty good" (ie. not some "master/wizard") repair-guy + a parts source (+ an ear) to build an alternate slide which offers the alternate length.

A few tubas (decades ago - when both lengths were still being installed on new instruments) featured two #5 circuit slides.
Robert Tucci
RT Mouthpieces
Has thanked: 0

Post by Robert Tucci »

Mary Ann,

Years ago a two-tone slide for the 5th valve was included with all five valve "B & S" PT-10 F-Tubas. Later this became an additional cost item. On such instruments, this worked very well for two reasons. 1/Some of the low notes could be played with one less valve and 2/, the slide added weight to the top of the instrument.

Bob Tucci
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

E̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶5̶-̶v̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ Any system with any number of valves is going to feature some pitch (likely: numerous ones) that are more than a few cents off "center".

' delighted to see Mr. Robert Tucci here.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm E̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶5̶-̶v̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ Any system with any number of valves is going to feature some pitch (likely: numerous ones) that are more than a few cents off "center".

' delighted to see Mr. Robert Tucci here.
Actually not, if you have 11 valves, each tuned one semitone longer than the former, you will never need to pres more than a single valve for ant desired tone down to the pedals.

Which is one valve more than most people have fingers .. :wall:
matt g

Post by matt g »

Dr. Fred Young’s approach solved this problem mathematically, but I’m not convinced it worked out as well as the ideal.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

The previous owner of my Willson 3200 F had the 5the valve converted to a 2+3 slide. I changed it back to a flat whole step. My PT-10 has both a flat whole step and 2+3 slides. Most of the time I use the flat whole step on this tuba, too.

My vintage 188 had the 2+3 fifth valve set up, as did the 187 i played in the Army. It always seemed to make more sense on the contrabasses to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Ruining your good joke by taking it seriously, even 11 valves would depend on every overtone - on each valve’s circuit - being in tune.
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 am It only requires a "pretty good" (ie. not some "master/wizard") repair-guy + a parts source (+ an ear) to build an alternate slide which offers the alternate length.

A few tubas (decades ago - when both lengths were still being installed on new instruments) featured two #5 circuit slides.
We got a new rotary PT6 about a decade ago and it came with the long fifth slide. I don't remember if there was another in the case.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

My Miraphone 180F had this. I was used to the flat whole step on my CC, but it did give for more options as I look back.

Ironically, some Gronitz PF 125 tubas come with a tritone 5th valve. I am not sure the point, but the designer sure did prefer it. Eventually, you get to that age where one fingering set is enough :tuba:
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Alex C

Post by Alex C »

Oh... F tubas.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

russiantuba wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:47 pmEventually, you get to that age where one fingering set is enough :tuba:
Send me a fb message when I get there.
Mikelynch

Post by Mikelynch »

Sax and several others tried a variety of fingering systems. Several included an independent valve for each necessary partial (open + 6). Those included 6 independent descending valves; and others, 3 descending valves, and 3 ascending valves. Though I have never played extant examples of either, I have to assume neither was an ideal solution. I have always guessed that the 3 ascending, and 3 descending, valves was an attempt to split the difference as to the varying taper ratios.

Mike
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I often have wished for an ascending valve on an instrument.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm I often have wished for an ascending valve on an instrument.
The valve on that 2165/2265 you built could be flipped so that the small loop was removed.

The Getzen CB50 was clever in that the 5th valve could be flipped so that if the player was in “Bb” mode they could hit the fifth valve and have a “C” tuba for two pitches. For the two notes above the fundamental of the horn, this probably yielded pretty good pitch. Unfortunately, that’s one of the horns I never got to try.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It seems that "flat" pitches on tubas often are not as "flat" as "sharp" pitches on tubas are "sharp".

That goofy 2165 valve would over-correct most all "flat" pitch problems on tubas, and it would be difficult to make a valve add any less than that valve's amount of length.
cjk

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm I often have wished for an ascending valve on an instrument.
Tony Clements had Gronitz build him a CC / DD tuba which I think was based on a PCM. He was selling it some time back. Maybe still for sale?

IIRC, the bugle was in DD. The 5th valve put it in CC and was set to be an ascending valve. The 5th valve was engaged by default. You had a 4v CC with an ascending valve to DD.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

cjk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 am
Tony Clements had Gronitz build him a CC / DD tuba which I think was based on a PCM. He was selling it some time back. Maybe still for sale?

IIRC, the bugle was in DD. The 5th valve put it in CC and was set to be an ascending valve. The 5th valve was engaged by default. You had a 4v CC with an ascending valve to DD.
so asc-D valve + 2nd valve might actually be a NOT-sharp D-flat...??