Connecticut CL: pristine Conn 21J

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
arpthark

Connecticut CL: pristine Conn 21J

Post by arpthark »

21J in almost mint condition. If that has never been overhauled, it is a rare find, and a beauty. The price is a bit steep but fair for the condition, I'd say.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/msg/d/ ... 55025.html

Blake
donn

Re: Connecticut CL: pristine Conn 21J

Post by donn »

I always wonder, could it be pristine because it was a dog?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

donn wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 pm I always wonder, could it be pristine because it was a dog?
Either that or the excessive weight made it an unreasonable option for many people. Especially if a 10-pound lighter tuba also played better.
donn

Post by donn »

I doubt it. They were immensely popular, and while playing characteristics may have varied with factory successes and failures, the weight's the same. And I doubt you'd get anything remotely similar for 10 lbs less. According to weights published on another tuba player forum site, this would be about the same as a MW Thor for example. A Cerveny might come close - thin brass and less bell flare - but the two aren't exactly interchangeable.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I don't see any bits in the photos. Maybe that's why it didn't get played much. Aren't those a "must have" for those Conns, for intonation? And do Conn sousaphone bits work interchangeably?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

donn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:14 am I doubt it. They were immensely popular, and while playing characteristics may have varied with factory successes and failures, the weight's the same. And I doubt you'd get anything remotely similar for 10 lbs less. According to weights published on another tuba player forum site, this would be about the same as a MW Thor for example. A Cerveny might come close - thin brass and less bell flare - but the two aren't exactly interchangeable.
I'm not suggesting that anything similar could be found for 10 lbs less, but if this thing weighs 30 lbs, then a Miraphone 186 may not be too far off from 10 lbs less? Totally different, sure... but maybe that's a good thing.

I'm curious -- were they immensely popular everywhere? Or was Connecticut (and maybe the northeast in general) not a popular place for these? Asking, because in 35 years out east, I don't think I've ever seen one of these in use.

My college had one, but nobody ever used it because it was enormous and heavy and had two large wooden cases -- highly impractical. I've never known an adult player who pursued one of these either, largely for the same reasons.

Add the scarcity of upright bells (because I've never seen anyone use a recording bell tuba) and these things are pretty much a no-go. Personally... I'm not surprised to see it sit unused. Heck, I owned one of these myself (w/recording bell) a few years ago. It was a lot of fun to play... but I never used it so I sold it. :eyes:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
York-aholic (Tue May 30, 2023 4:09 pm)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

I believe these horns were much more popular in the Midwest and specifically the Upper Midwest. Many polka bands over the years made use of these "heavy duty" tubas. In Canada, they are very rare. Most polka bands here used a string bass initially and then moved to a bass guitar.
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
donn

Post by donn »

When I started on the tuba, the tubas presented to me for purchase were a 3/4 Olds, and 2 thoroughly battered 21Js. Since then I've seen them routinely appear in Dixieland bands. That was on the west coast, but I think the phenomenon isn't restricted geographically. I wouldn't be surprised if players like that who are really into tuba models, look for Martins, but I believe the Conn 2xJ tubas far outsold Martins to high school band programs, so the player who doesn't think Martin vs. Conn is going to make or break his performance, is much more likely to be playing a 2xJ. I would go so far as to say the form - big tuba with top valves - has become kind of a tradition in that genre. Though that may be history, haven't been looking.

It should weigh a little less than 28 lbs.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I've never seen a 20J up here being played, and I rarely see ones for sale. Maybe @humBell has. But that's anecdotal.
Blake
b.williams

Post by b.williams »

:popcorn:
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
humBell

Post by humBell »

I would say tuba xmases are my primary opportunity to see enough tuba players to get a sense of this, and there are a smattering of 2xjs at the larger ones, and the folk playing them usually sound quite good, leastwise to my ear.

I may be an odd ball, but i offer my beater 20j for a son's friend to start learning tuba on, and all reviews, it has been an astute choice. i offered a more wieldy 103, which woulda been accepted had i brought it with me at the local tuba xmas, but sadly i dropped the ball, and haven't had another opportunity to pass it along.
"All art is one." -Hal
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

b.williams wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 am:popcorn:
Of course I forgot about you and your plethora of 2XJ tubas!
Blake