Bloke: PLEASE IGNORE (valve oil related)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Bloke: PLEASE IGNORE (valve oil related)

Post by MiBrassFS »

I’m not interested in switching what I use to another lube product, but I thought this was interesting verbiage. I’ve never heard of this company.
An alternative to the current industry standards which use harmful petroleum, mineral and synthetic-based oils - not only are these damaging to our already fragile planet, but they are also unsafe for unsupervised use by children. Essentially, Edgware BY BBICO is a range of eco-friendly, British-designed and packaged musical instrument maintenance products, manufactured to use less packaging, produce less waste, and provide healthy alternatives to the products available on the market currently
Edgeware?
unsafe for unsupervised use by children
I just thought about all those years of using valve oil all by myself. Child abuse!

“Feeling saucy…”

MiBrassFS

Re: Bloke: PLEASE IGNORE (valve oil related)

Post by MiBrassFS »

Actually, bloke doesn’t have to ignore…!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Y'all do what all y'all do.

People are spending $15 to $30 to eat hamburgers, and leaving home to do it.

Y'all's money ain't my money.

:thumbsup:
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

I just had someone use “all y’all” here. Made me smile a bit.

Leave the house!? Now that IS frightening. I went to Home Despot for epoxy. Almost got runned over… TWICE!
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
tubatodd (Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:25 pm)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

MiBrassFS wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:23 pm I just had someone use “all y’all” here. Made me smile a bit.

Leave the house!? Now that IS frightening. I went to Home Despot for epoxy. Almost got runned over… TWICE!
Was that you? I thought you looked a bit familiar the second time.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
arpthark (Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:51 pm)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Cameron Gates

Re: Bloke: PLEASE IGNORE (valve oil related

Post by Cameron Gates »

The best valve oil is free and comes in the cases of rental returns. These cases are also a solid source for free rolled up beginning band methods as well as random brushes, snakes, and unused slide grease.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

York-aholic wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:05 pm
MiBrassFS wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:23 pm I just had someone use “all y’all” here. Made me smile a bit.

Was that you? I thought you looked a bit familiar the second time.
You missed me, but you did get that old lady with the walker who was giving you the finger. So, I think they’ll count that in your points total today. Did you get that walker out of your grill?
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
York-aholic (Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:34 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Isn’t it that time of year for the pumpkin spice valve oil to come out? :huh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

British Band Instrument Company, never heard of them before and wonder what their business model is.
https://bbico.com/
They might be fine - I don’t know - and they have been in business for a while, but if asked then I’d direct potential customers to someone like John Packer. It’s hard to see how valve oil is dangerous to either the individual or the planet. I’m inclined to think that some marketing guy is trying to exploit good natured folk, and that there are bigger hazards to be concerned about.
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I have been using the BERP Bio-Oil.. Not because it is non-petroleum, eco-friendly, safer than humans or pets etc advertising reasons. I like it because they publish their viscosity data and their heavy stuff works really well on my old sousaphones with worn valves. It is thicker than anything else out there and stays put for a long time. I need much less of it than other products.

Just out of convenience I use their other weights for my other instruments. A member of an ensemble I play in is a dealer for them.. and he can just bring me oil to rehearsal for me when I am running low.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

gocsick wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:59 am I have been using the BERP Bio-Oil.. Not because it is non-petroleum, eco-friendly, safer than humans or pets etc advertising reasons. I like it because they publish their viscosity data and their heavy stuff works really well on my old sousaphones with worn valves. It is thicker than anything else out there and stays put for a long time. I need much less of it than other products.

Just out of convenience I use their other weights for my other instruments. A member of an ensemble I play in is a dealer for them.. and he can just bring me oil to rehearsal for me when I am running low.
I wanted to offer a word of caution. I used Berp Bio-Oil on my tubas back in, I wanna say, 2010 or 2011. I was home from college one summer and took a couple weeks off for vacation. When I came back, the Berp stuff had polymerized and had completely seized/gummed up my pistons. It was an absolute nightmare to clean out, and smelled so foul. It was like the oil went rancid (I believe at the time it was canola-based). I don't know if it was reacting with my previous valve oil, my body chemistry, or what, but I am neutral and generally don't have issues with green gunk or anything like that, so it was really surprising.

I hope they have reformulated that stuff since then!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:28 am) • gocsick (Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:59 pm)